• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How do you prevent a flat tube

Didnt seem to bother him, the bikes had usually been siting for awhile anywayz (oldman ran a business making motorcycle leathers so we had endless stream of customers on bikes) ...most guys gave the bike a rev soon as he got hold of the pipe too (due to my old mans encouragement) ...mean bastards :p Just strired the dog up more, the rush of wind was what 'teased' him i think...he was an awesome dog

Speaking of the original topic (whatever that was?) I got a foam doughnut from Walmart for my rear wheel. Ihad to go back to my old Crystalyte brushed 20" motor anyway, and it weighs a ton, so the unsprung weight of my rear suspension is shot! I also had 3 flats this week, all on the rear (power)wheel and im tired fo them! Test report to follow. The thing only weighs 2-3 lbs and if it stops flats I am fur it!
otherDoc

I recall back in the thread also, someone asked if there was a product to inflate and seal a already flat tire...there is, i carried around a tin of "Fsssh" i think
it was called...inflated the tire and contained a foam like substance that sealed the puncture. Was an Aerosol size can.

Few things are as loud or as colorful as a blowout in a Slime hd tube, and it happened on my motorhub wheel! Sidewall of the tire let go, could be from a cut I didn't notice, but more likely from running almost 100# in a tire rated for 60! Big hole almost 1 1/2" long in the sidewall, loud bang, green goo all over the place, lucky I was only going about 16, really lucky I was only a mile from home as my arthritic hip hates walking, let alone pushing 150# of solar trike. Got to find some 100# rated Kendas or Marathon Plus' in 26"!

Its fun on organised rides I go on, to listen to the ear shattering cracks of 15mm tyres running at 140psi blowing when the bikes are left out in the sun at the lunch breaks. When it gets to about 40c in the shade, they all go off at once!

OK its clear to this mere mortal that No-mor-flats cannot in any way be put on without a hydraulic press! I fought with the 20" version for over 2 hours including using clamps to try an hold it in place (covered with Dawn solution) amd it didnt come close to getting on! I think I need real tire irons (like for trucks) to get enuf leverage on this piece of s**t! Anyone know of any miracles?
otherDoc
edit: Just for comparason I just put on a regular tube and inflated the tire in 2 minutes! This tells me something!

Just an up date....
The Conti's 4000 see previous post - great tyres to ride on. BUT :evil: at the 40 km mark on the maiden ride - got a sidewall flat!
Slashed the tirewall - result the tyre was ruined.... :evil: :evil:

Added 10 (F)-15 (R) psi to tires over recommended psi (hint received by another commuter txs!) - Replaced the GP4000 with a "cheap" CST Flat Fighter.
Now heres the thing. Over 1000 kms & not one puncture! These tires are heavier on paper - but this is not a race bike - I do not feel the difference. No slime ...nada - just no flats.
The combination of a higher PSI & the Flat Fighter (on special $14 a tyre - bought 4 on spec) is a better deal than $55 for a single GP4000. Who would have guessed.

They got these special tires made of kevlar if you are interested. I'm not sure how much they cost but they are supposed to be indestructible. They are called armadillos.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/adventures/1276791.html

They say that the armadillos are so tough that even if you get a puncture you can still ride it because the hardened sidewalls will keep you up until you get home and can fix it.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42096

Oh, wow. I knew about those already, but you can buy them?

I bet one could be sliced in half/thirds/fourths well enough to be somehow affixed to a bike hub. Any idea how much? I MAY just be insane enough to want to give it a try. :p

If you get repeated pinched tube flats check the rim tape. Especially the hard plastic kind that comes on many new rims. You may find that the tape isn't centered perfectly all the way around. If the tape is riding up on the inside of the rim it can prevent the tire bead from seating correctly. That leaves a slight gap that the tube can work it's way into and get pinched.

Also, the thick plastic tapes can crack along the edge and be pretty sharp .

if I ever get the money, I'm going to get armadillos. What sold me is that if you get a flat, the sidewalls are still so strong that you can still reach your destination.

morph999 said:
They got these special tires made of kevlar if you are interested. I'm not sure how much they cost but they are supposed to be indestructible. They are called armadillos.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoor ... 76791.html

There are some comments on that website saying something about the fibers splitting because of sunlight. I wonder if there are actually any reliability issues with the armadillos.

The Stig said:
morph999 said:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoor ... 76791.html

There are some comments on that website saying something about the fibers splitting because of sunlight. I wonder if there are actually any reliability issues with the armadillos.

Yeah, I read that too. It could be people overreacting. Those issues could be fixed by now by the manufacturers. I'm torn between armadillos and the Schwalbe Marathon plus. Some were saying that their tires fell apart after 4 yrs of usage....well, duh. If a tire lasts 4 yrs without a flat, that's fine with me. There's also about 5 different kinds of armadillos and people aren't saying with ones fell apart.

I've been running Schwalabe Big Apples with the kevlar belt. Don't have thorns to contend with, only street glass and potholes. According to Schwalbe, Big Apples supposedly have been designed with stiffer sidewalls for better cushioning and to run at lower pressure. I dunno. Been running them for a few years and have yet to get a flat. Before them I ran kevlar belted Comets. Never had a flat with them either. I'm sold on kevlar belts.

A while ago I got a big bottle of Slime---just in case---and so far haven't tapped into it. IMO, routinely picking the garbage out of the tread plus checking pressure are two of the best things you can do to help prevent a flat.

One suggestion---if you carry a spare tube with you, take it out of the box and wrap it in an old sock or cloth towel. It's a real bummer to get a flat, reach for the spare tube (the one that's been rattling around in the box inside your seatbag), pull it out, and discover that it has bounced around so long inside the box that abrasion has worn holes in the folded tube where it touched the box. Bum-m-m-mer.

MT

Back