• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How to disable regen on Grinfineon Controller?

tony_skipper

10 µW
Hi, I have a Grinfineon Controller. By default, this controller has regen activate when throttle receive a voltage between 0 and 0.8V.

I would like to NOT have any regen and I cannot figure out if there is a way to remove such behavior of the controller.

Anyone have a clue if it is possible (and how) to remove regen on this controller?

Thank you,

Do you have an ebrake lever that you want to serve as a cut-off? That is not a feature on the Grinfineon controllers, unfortunately. If you don't have a lever, then no worries. Your throttle does not go down to the regen voltage range when you release it.

tony_skipper said:
Hi, I have a Grinfineon Controller. By default, this controller has regen activate when throttle receive a voltage between 0 and 0.8V.
I would like to NOT have any regen and I cannot figure out if there is a way to remove such behavior of the controller.
Anyone have a clue if it is possible (and how) to remove regen on this controller?
Sure, the throttle curve is completely programmable. You'll need the programming cable and a PC.

Thank you for your replies,

I have made few measurements. First: the controller pin +5V is actually +4.35V

I don't have any ebrake lever connected to the drive, only a throttle lever.

My throttle lever voltage output varies between 0V to + 4.35V. When I slowly turn the throttle with hub-wheel not touching the ground, I observe the following behavior:

0 to 0.8 V: nothing happens. If wheel the wheel was turning before entering this voltage range, the controller will regen.

0.8V to 3.3V: the speed of wheel accelerates from 0 rpm to max rpm, as expected

3.3V to 3.8: the speed is maintained at max rpm

>3.8 : the power feeded to the motor suddenly stops, if I go back to <3.8V, the controller suddenly shoots full power to the motor.

I simply don't feel safe with such behavior of the controller. Since I live in an area where there is not much hills and regen opportunities, I do not need such feature. My point of view is that regen is not something really useful since it cycles more the battery for not so much gains, especially when travelling at high speed and releasing the throttle to 0V, it generates 2 kW of braking power, which corresponds to way too much (charging current) for my 15 Ah LiFePO4 battery.

Of course these are my needs and point of view, it may be different for someone else, with a different setup.

So billvon, I would like to know more, where you able to program a Grinfineon controller? Would it be possible to have more insights on how to do it?

Thank you, Tony

Grinfineons aren't programmable, from anything I can find on the Grin site for them.
https://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/grinfineon.html
Can I Reprogram the Controller Settings?
Unfortunately not, for reasons outside of our control these boards are not available to us in a way that is compatible with parameter designer software to change the settings.

Grin's Phaserunner is, but that's not what you have.

Regarding the throttle voltage range you're seeing, it means you probably have a potentiometer throttle.

If so, then you can install a resistor between ground and the negative lead of the throttle, of a value that is a ratio to give you 4.35v - 1.0v across the potentiometer trhottle itself (approximatly 1/5 of the value of your throttle, so probably 1kohm, if your throttle is 5kohm). I don't know the math (should be simple) but if you want to avoid the math part just get another pot that is anything from the same value as your throttle, and connect the wiper to one end, then wire that between your throttle negative and ground. Adust it until there's about 1v across it. Now your throttle won't ever go lower than a volt, and won't activate regen.

Back