How to open a twist throttle for fixing?

tmho

1 kW
I have a twist throttle which is not working. I would like to try to fix it. But it seems that there is no way to open it to expose the wires for checking.
Below are some photos of my throttle. As you can see from one of the photos, there are 2 screws holding a cover which hides the wires. But even with the 2 screws taken out, the cover cannot be taken out because it is blocked the twist handle. Anybody has any idea on this?
DSCN6013.JPG
DSCN6014.JPG
DSCN6015.JPG
DSCN6016.JPG
DSCN6018.JPG

They basicaly snap together, so once you get the set screws and the inner ring out, the main plastic pieces are pryed apart with a knife.

Not that there's much to do in there except fight with the spring to put it back together . . . hall throttles are basically disposable imo, and if the new one doesn't have a potted hall sensor you can do that with hot glue.

But yes, after the screws and ring are off, the two pieces come apart. Ime they popped apart when twisted to certain position. Forcing has broken the little plastic tabs in there, for me.

Yeah, they are disposable.
I always recommend folks get several styles when placing an order.
That way, they have options(they might like a style they didn't think about)and they have a spare.

If you use a thin flatblade screwdriver, or other flat thin tool, you can lift the cover up at the corners where the screws were, until the edge of it lifts over the housing, and then pull it outward away from the throttle once it's cleared the housing.

If you're not careful, it'll break the cover, but the throttle will still work without it (once you fix whatever's wrong in there, if it can be fixed).

I've soemtimes had to trim plastic off the cover to get it back into the housing, and sometimes it's broken enough that it would have to be glued back in in pieces, so I don't bother with it (since the cover doesnt' keep anything but fingers out of there. ;) ).

Thank you for all your suggestions.
I have tried taken out the metal ring. But nothing further can be done. The metal ring is just to fix the throttle to the handle bar.
amberwolf 's suggestion is right. The cover with 2 screws can be pulled out since the housing is just covering it by 1 or 2mm. Now the wires and hall sensor are exposed and I can replace the hall sensor.
View attachment 1
DSCN6020.JPG

Back