How to wire a brake-light into e-brakes?

PlanetDad

100 mW
How would I go about wiring in a break light into my current handle? Is it as simple as splicing a wire that is already going to the controller?

Also, Thank you everyone for your input. Even if its not the best option or what I choose in the end this will teach me allot!

Cheers

PlanetDad said:
How would I go about wiring in a break light into my current handle? Is it as simple as splicing a wire that is already going to the controller?
it's rarely that easy, but there's a number of ways, depending on your system's wiring, voltages, and the type of ebrake lever you have (if you have one), and the light you want to use.

so...do you have an ebrake lever?

if so, what type is it? some are two wire, and just have a switch in them. some are three wire, and have a hall sensor like the ones in your motor (not like the one in your throttle).

is the switch open unless you pull it, and then closes to complete the circuit when you pull it? that's the most common type. or does it do the opposite?

what kind of light do you want to use? common 12v led type? or incandescent? or something higher voltage?

fwiw, teklektik's yuba mundo 2wd cargo bike thread has a load of good wiring and setup info for turn signals, brake lights, etc., including parts lists and links, wiring diagrams, etc.

my sb cruiser thread has some info but no wire diagrams (maybe someday...if there's ever time :oops: ), and the info is scattered throughout the thread.

amberwolf said:
PlanetDad said:
it's rarely that easy, but there's a number of ways, depending on your system's wiring, voltages, and the type of ebrake lever you have (if you have one), and the light you want to use.

so...do you have an ebrake lever?

if so, what type is it? some are two wire, and just have a switch in them. some are three wire, and have a hall sensor like the ones in your motor (not like the one in your throttle).

is the switch open unless you pull it, and then closes to complete the circuit when you pull it? that's the most common type. or does it do the opposite?

what kind of light do you want to use? common 12v led type? or incandescent? or something higher voltage?

fwiw, teklektik's yuba mundo 2wd cargo bike thread has a load of good wiring and setup info for turn signals, brake lights, etc., including parts lists and links, wiring diagrams, etc.

my sb cruiser thread has some info but no wire diagrams (maybe someday...if there's ever time :oops: ), and the info is scattered throughout the thread.

Yes, it has two wires comming out ( only know because the break lever broke, but was able to dissect it)

It will be connected to a 12v led light powered by. DC stepdown from the pack. The light is wired for left/right turn, high beam for break light and normal.

I have not checked into the threads you suggested, just noticed this question had been moved.

Will be building tbhe wire harness soon so if I can add something in then it would be best.

PlanetDad said:
Yes, it has two wires comming out ( only know because the break lever broke, but was able to dissect it)
if the lever is broken, what are you replacing it with? and does the switch in it measure shorted when lever is pulled, or when lever is not pulled?

need to know those to know which method would work.

It will be connected to a 12v led light powered by. DC stepdown from the pack. The light is wired for left/right turn, high beam for break light and normal.
if it's an led light, then you should be able to directly use the switch in the lever to control the brake (not break) light, if you are not using the switch in the lever for anything else.

if you are using it for your ebrake on the controller as well, then you may need to use a dpdt or dpst relay so the switch controls the relay, and the relay controls each of the two independent systems.

amberwolf said:
PlanetDad said:
if the lever is broken, what are you replacing it with? and does the switch in it measure shorted when lever is pulled, or when lever is not pulled?

need to know those to know which method would work.

if it's an led light, then you should be able to directly use the switch in the lever to control the brake (not break) light, if you are not using the switch in the lever for anything else.

if you are using it for your ebrake on the controller as well, then you may need to use a dpdt or dpst relay so the switch controls the relay, and the relay controls each of the two independent systems.

Not sure yet if its NO or NC, and have a extra set of break levers. Will probably just not have it connected to the controller.

This is the light, there will be two mounted on the rear seat stays..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01GJGCR9U/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if not connecting it to the controller, and assuming it is a n.o. switch, then using the ebrake switch for hte brake light is super easy--just put the switch in series with either power or ground to the brake light. thus, it breaks the connection all the time except when you pull the lever, which then allows it to turn on the light.

if not connecting it to the controller, and assuming it is a n.o. switch, then using the ebrake switch for hte brake light is super easy--just put the switch in series with either power or ground to the brake light. thus, it breaks the connection all the time except when you pull the lever, which then allows it to turn on the light.
Ur a genius bro this is done similar to the car breaks when u press the pedal u connect the lights in series therefore making it NC & then the lights illuminate

Back