• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

How To Wire This Switch?

rg12

100 kW
marty said:
Need a drawing. This is hard to describe with words. Draw motor. Draw switch. Connect the dots.

Drawing something like this?
MOTOR WIRING 2.jpeg

Umm where do I find the red blue black wires?
I have only 3 wires including ground going into the socket...
and what is the white wire and cap there?

You can't use that switch for speed control. The blower is also only single speed. You would need a speed controller for a single phase motor.

rg12 said:
Electroddy said:
You can't use that switch for speed control. The blower is also only single speed. You would need a speed controller for a single phase motor.

Oh damn...
Well, found exactly what I needed!

That's a PWM controller for a DC motor, which will work fine if your fan is compatible with DC power. I'm guessing your fan doesn't have a "universal" or AC/DC motor, but the listing doesn't say.

The AC device that would work in some cases is called a variac, but it can exhibit weirdness at low settings when paired with some synchronous AC motors.

rg12 said:
Electroddy said:

Oh damn...
Well, found exactly what I needed!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

If you change the voltage of an AC induction motor, IT WILL STILL SPIN THE SAME SPEED.

Speed in an AC induction motor system is dependent on CYCLES PER SECOND, not the VOLTAGE.

CHANGING the VOLTAGE will NOT change the SPEED.

Itoldyou what you need. A VFD, or a Rheostat Dimmer, are the options.

Not a 2/3/4 position switch, not a PWM DC Voltage controller. Not a modern dimmer.

A Variable Frequency drive, or a Rheostat dimmer; Used to change the RPM of an induction motor (fan) that run on AC cycles per second commutation.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=107350

I'll tell yo again.

I am not sure how you would use that switch you linked.
It is just 2/3/4 Position 8 Terminals Rotary Cam Changeover Switch with Screws. Insulated to 660V, able to handle 20A reliably.

And how is the fan wired? Is it "3-speeds motor" ( like a ceiling fan), or is what is in that little box.... probably just a 3600rpm 2pole motor, or 1800rpm 4pole motor connection( typically common).... ?

Off the wall voltage, you have a cycles per second. When a (AC) motor is driven to speed ( designed) it uses this (cycles per) to commute its rpm based on the pole/armature structure and a few other things..

You cannnot change this, Hz from the AC on the wall... ( in the USA here it is 60Hz, IDK what it is where your at... 50Hz? )...

Andyway.... the only way to rally change the RPM of a wall fan is with a frequency converter.. A Variable frequency drive (VFD). They do exist and are expensive in industry but cheap at the scrap yard.

It is that, or change the pitch of the blade, or restrict its (in)flow... but that is flow mechanics.. and they get.. er uhm.. complicated. You know. Complicated, as in it might be simpler to buy a typical HVAC duct fan.. right rpm and flow.

Duct it and choke it. Running in vacume means very little power is used.. and very little air is moved... Or VFD it. Or go to Home Depot and buy a proper duct air mover. They are gentle and made to be unobtrusive and/or not create great turbulence.

Maybe an old rheostat dimmer ( wastes the extra current as heat) would work.. , but I am pretty sure a solid state dimmer would not work, based on how they do their thing. And how the fan is probably wired for its three speeds.. nothing like a control system or anything.... . Modern dimmers are built from semiconductors instead of variable resistors, because they have higher efficiency. A variable resistor (Rheostat dimmer) would dissipate power as heat and acts as a voltage divider.

Variable frequency drives are mainly used to drive induction motors at variable speed.

The speed of an induction motor is proportional to the frequency of AC supply. Simple,Change frequency to get required speed.

Torque of induction motor is proportional to square of voltage. Auto transformers can only change voltage that changes torque which is undesirable.

VFD is not only used for controlling the speed of an induction motor, although it is the main function of any VFD.

There are lots of other important benefits of using a vfd than a dimmer, autotransformer etc.

It protects your motor from over-running under over current condition (overcurrent limit can be set in parameters of a vfd).
Acceleration & De-acceleration of a motor during startup and stopping of a motor can be controlled as per requirement using a VFD. Which is an important requirement for a lot of applications.
Speed vs. Voltage profile can be controlled using a VFD which is very important in different voltage ranges such as 400V, 380V, 440V or 480V operations. Proper setting does improve alot the current consumption of a motor.
Power saving is also a big advantage of using a VFD as it uses PWM(Pulse Width Modulation) technique to deliver the output voltage signal.

there are many other advantages of using a VFD to run a motor.

Typical Rheostat Fan Dimmer... if you are not wasting any real power nor have access to VDF systems... dont mind waste.

Pay attention to the V, I, and Hz, for the one you buy: Rheostats are sized this way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015SLCJ2...glD1hSnmcEKu8mVRbKopBH6T4HZ4ZZOZqC_qInTE6a3ao

I understand what you guys are saying but it IS intended for AC, even mentions in the title that it can be used to control ceiling fans.
One guy in the reviews wrote that it works changing the RPM of his chop saw.

DogDipstick said:
If you change the voltage of an AC induction motor, IT WILL STILL SPIN THE SAME SPEED.

...at NO LOAD. If you load it, of course it will turn slower as you lower the voltage, until it stalls.

rg12 said:
I understand what you guys are saying but it IS intended for AC, even mentions in the title that it can be used to control ceiling fans.
One guy in the reviews wrote that it works changing the RPM of his chop saw.

A chop saw is very likely to have an AC/DC universal motor.

Back