• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

HS3540 or ezee

markz

100 TW
First post, stuck between the geared rear ezee and the direct drive rear HS3540 kit for my 2.1x26" alum. mtb with discs. Want reliablilty and torque power for the heavier weight and to climb some tiny hills. Mainly like single track dirt trails, and wider red dirt/gravel park pathways, along with the usual city street riding. Don't care about the minimal Regen nor drag, dont want pedal assist. Want in the neighborhood of 25mph-30mph (40-47kph) at 0%. I wrote down some questions

Will the 40A Infineon programmable controller work with any battery pack in the 36-72V range? Does this mean the 40A can be lowered? Is this to dial back the wattage so you dont burn up a motor?

What is the nom. and max watts for the HS3540? All I got is 750W nom. What can it handle?

Can I keep my 9 spd rear? I have 2 sets of front rings 22-32-42 and 48-36-26, so installed it as 48-32-22. 48 to help lower wh/km on flats, and the 22 to help with climbing steep hills. I don't want to be completely lazy, and not pedal at all.

One other question I just came up with, is it possible to solar charge the battery, what kind of cost and time is there?

I did have some other questions but I seem to have lost the paper that I wrote them on.

This is what I thought my setup should be. Rear DD HS3540 with 60V lipoly and 40A 72V Infineon, CA with temp, rear torque arms.

Cheers Mate

Gears can strip. The hs3540 is way better for what you ask of it specially for off-roading

The 40 amp infinion will work with any battery chemistry. You need a programing cable to adjust settings.

Check out the simulator at ebikes.ca it will give you an idea of what you can throw at it. It can run 1000-1500 on average. It can take 2000-3000 watts for short periods. Monitoring the heat is common.

Yes solar charge is possible but not practical for on the go. Charging at home is easy off of solar. On the road it cumbersome and slow

The motor can accept a 9spd "freewheel" but it makes it wider then 135mm. How wides your dropout.

Adam

I didnt want to charge it while riding, just for when I go riding into the back-country and go camping for a few days, with no vehicle or power.

I am guessing my rear width is just the standard 135mm. Its a mid 2000's bike.
Reliability wise, should I just put in an 8spd rear freewheel with shifter, rather then spread the drop-outs for 9spd (11-32)?

You will get both responses here. Half will say its safe to spread the dropout and other half will say its to dangerous. Suppose it comes down to your personal comfort.

There are a couple folks with solar setups, search around.

Is the frame steel or alloy?
If you put a 8 speed on it's the same width as a 9. here is the specs from EM3ev.
11T-28T, 36mm wide, 0.53kg
8sp:
11T-32T, 40mm wide, 0.62kg
9sp:
11T-32T, 40mm wide, 0.58kg
Also going from 9 to 8 is a chain change.

I did spread an aluminum swing arm. With low power it lasted a year but fractured in a month with high power. Now a cromo one is place and doing fine so I am going to 9 speed to meet the shifters.

Dan

Spread em only if it's steel. You can tweak an aluminum frame only about 4 mm safely, if you need that to usw an extra washer on the axle to get your brakes to line up right. The alloy will flex 4mm, but don't bend it more and cause a crack.

Don't run a gearmotor on a ton of power. If you want perky, get a DD motor and volt up.

My bike is Aluminum (from the specs it says M4 Manipulated Alloy frame, fully butted, ORE DT, forged dropouts)
I dont want to be messing with spreading the frame, Will need the 7spd threaded freewheel.
Is there much of a noticable difference between the 7, 8 and 9 speed freewheels, when pedalling in the mid gears? They are all 11-32 combos so the hill climbing and the flats are the same.

Made up my mind, I will be buying the dd hs3540, just signed up for a Pay Pal account. Can't wait to hit the order button and get riding without breaking a sweat!!

With that motor you'll only need one gear 8)

I mix and match shifters without fear. I am currently running a 9spd shifter with a 7spd freewheel and it works great. The guy at the bike shop was appalled by the thought.....

I'm currently setting up the same setup. Hs3540 40amp controller 15s rc lipo. I wanted the 3540 to begin with but thought the lighter geared mac would be better. I was always babying the throttle and was afraid to hit big jumps. I went through two gear sts in 2000 miles and decided to get the 3540!

If you give it much wattage, the only gear you will want is 11t. So try to find a screw on freewheel with 11t gear. Or get a large front ring, so you get a decent cadence in 14t.

Back