Hub motor, battery, and controller identification help.

MD.

1 W
Hi,
I have a friend who is looking to buy this setup off of craigslist. It looks like a pretty good setup and I just wanted to see if you guys could help me identify what it is. The seller says the battery is a 48v LiFePo4 and a 600 watt motor.

The battery sure looks like a 48v 15ah Ping with the BMS lights and blue shrink wrap. Does anyone know if it is?

The motor looks smaller than a 9c clone DD and since he identified it as 600 watts, I'm thinking it might be a BMC geared. He couldn't tell me if it was geard or DD. He said he got it as a gift. Can anyone identify what it is by the pictures?

The controller is labeled as 40A. Shoot, just looked and the controller does say "Brushless Motor Corp", so I guess it is BMC. If it is a Ping and a BMC, I'm thinking 48v at 40A is way too much at 1920 watts. I suggested my friend buy it and then use a 20A controller at 48v to be gentler on the battery and motor. The seller said he only ran it twice or so.

Is a 40A controller too much for that battery?

LiFePo4.jpg

HubMotor.jpg

Controller.jpg

Could be, just depends on if the battery is in good shape. I'd wan't to at least see it charged, with all led's lit before I bought it. Battery alone would be 600 new of course.

40 amps is too much though, so the battery could have some wear. But it could have been ridden mostly on flat streets, and rarely saw all 40 amps. Cruising at 30 mph, it would only be needing about 20 amps.

For almost 2 years I ran a v2.5 Ping 48V15AH with a xlyte 5304 and xlyte 40A controller. The setup worked great, but I knew I was pushing my battery past its comfort zone and that it wouldn't last its manufacturer rated cycle life. After two years though the cells were still matching beautifully and I only saw my capacity diminish to about 80% of the original. Your mileage may vary, but know that while the Ping can take the 40A, it won't last as long as if you ran it on 20A.

MD. said:
The motor looks smaller than a 9c clone DD and since he identified it as 600 watts, I'm thinking it might be a BMC geared. He couldn't tell me if it was geard or DD. He said he got it as a gift. Can anyone identify what it is by the pictures?

The controller is labeled as 40A. Shoot, just looked and the controller does say "Brushless Motor Corp", so I guess it is BMC. If it is a Ping and a BMC, I'm thinking 48v at 40A is way too much at 1920 watts. I suggested my friend buy it and then use a 20A controller at 48v to be gentler on the battery and motor. The seller said he only ran it twice or so.

Is a 40A controller too much for that battery?
Google shows Brushless Motor Corp (818) 576-0505 to be BMC in Chatsworth CA. HPC Hi-Power Cycles coincidentally also in Chatsworth use 40A or higher controllers, BMC motors, and blue-colored battery packs.

Back