I tried to dismantle the most dangerous and hideous diy ebike battery ever made

I'd drop it into a bucket of salt water and let it sit for a week. By then the cells should all be discharged enough to no longer be dangerous.

I don’t think it was a good idea to encase the battery. Don’t the cells have vents? Where would they vent to? Seems like it might be a good place for condensation to collect and that would most definitely become a problem….I would think. Also, if your BMS went bad, you’d have to break it up and replace it. Also, also, I would totally wear gloves!

I know that there are different types of encapsulates. Some break away easily and some cure like a rock. I guess if you knew and you used a re-enterable encapsulant, part replacement wouldn’t be so bad. Still, I’d worry about condensation. I live by the ocean, so maybe this wouldn’t be a concern for others.

I guess another way would be to wrap the batteries in a type of tape, then encapsulate them. Then you’d just have to access the tape and rip the encapsulant off with it.

Its all the interconnecting wires that are soldered to the tabs, crossing over each other.
I tried to break it apart because a wire pulled out and the voltage dropped, no idea what the problem was.

ZeroEm said:
Does this mean that potting a battery is bad or just the materials used?

If you don't pot the battery, it's a disposable fire hazard when exposed to humidity and time.

Potting doesn't impact cell venting, I have the pressure curve data for different cells CID and vents to open in potting or bare, it's within a percent of the same pressures.

Potting in the right material is the ultimate long term protection from vibration, shock, corrosion, thermal runaway, and more.

Also, I wouldn't even call that pack potted in your video, as this implies a monolithic encapsulation, that disaster of a pack looks like an art class used up extra art casting supplies they had laying around trying to get some of it to land on the battery.

that disaster of a pack looks like an art class used up extra art casting supplies they had laying around trying to get some of it to land on the battery.

😂

Back