• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

I'm a Noob and I Wanna Go 50MPH

You can go that fast using a sail--even faster. But your commute needs to be completely free of any obstacles whatsoever, including bumps, pebbles, etc.

If you live and work on opposite ends of the Bonneville Salt Flats it's really a great way to go. ;)

amberwolf said:
Please note: This thread is simply to make a collection of links to information for those that think they want to try it, so that those who wish to write the wiki article (linked in the OP) have another resource to draw from.

So to repeat myself:

"I recommend you add a link to your build thread, both here and in the wiki article, and condense down how you chose what parts you used and exactly why, what problems you had to overcome and safety issues you've run across, and put that in the wiki, too."

amberwolf said:
amberwolf said:
Please note: This thread is simply to make a collection of links to information for those that think they want to try it, so that those who wish to write the wiki article (linked in the OP) have another resource to draw from.

So to repeat myself:

"I recommend you add a link to your build thread, both here and in the wiki article, and condense down how you chose what parts you used and exactly why, what problems you had to overcome and safety issues you've run across, and put that in the wiki, too."

Yes. I did read it.

:?:

I'm happy with a solid 30mph.

I've been riding this thing for two years now and waiting for the battery (SLA) to die, but it doesn't want to yet. Then I'll get something from Cellman or whatever kind of safe lithium is affordable for 48 volts.

I've considered getting wider tires, though. With narrow tires you have to be careful, of course.

I can hit 29.2mph on this and could probably easily get to 40 with a more powerful battery, but it would be intimidating. Above 25mph on this thing gets me nervous (again, because of the tires).

New%20Ebikeb-M.jpg

MikeFairbanks said:

I've been riding this thing for two years now and waiting for the battery (SLA) to die, but it doesn't want to yet. Then I'll get something from Cellman or whatever kind of safe lithium is affordable for 48 volts.

I've considered getting wider tires, though. With narrow tires you have to be careful, of course.

I can hit 29.2mph on this and could probably easily get to 40 with a more powerful battery, but it would be intimidating. Above 25mph on this thing gets me nervous (again, because of the tires).

New%20Ebikeb-M.jpg

or, go for 24S lipo in a falconev bag, 18fet 4110 controller, and 2.5 hookworms and Dh tubes filled with slime. :D

Hi ive not made 50 mph yet but close with little down hill ,now still waiting for some good weather as my custom gearbox grease was eating the power as too thick so with some good weather and a nice minaral oil i should make the 50mph club ,can also fit 72 ah at 44v in the box 18 x 8ah 6c plenty of range if i could afford the batterys ,,twin 1200w cyclones 2x 35amp controlers cyclone are now doing 100amp controlers that now lets them sell the motors as 1600w that may do it ((options))

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    4.5 KB · Views: 2,668
MikeFairbanks said:

New%20Ebikeb-M.jpg
That battery bag appears kind of small to hold 48v of SLA! How many AH do you have?

Want to go 50 mph on a bicycle ? Get a real good road bike and find a good hill !

This is exactly why the experts of this forum have as little to contribute as the 'noob, I wanna go 50 mph' folks.

The only people that should consider making an ebike that goes 50mph, are those that have already ridden a pedal bike that goes 50 mph. A road bike, even a good one, is a terrible bike to design a 50mph eBike around. Now, I am no expert on eBikes, but I have done "50 mph" MTB races, and only a true DH bike is designed to both handle 50 mph speed, and has the lateral torque and strength to get you there safely. Try to find one that is pedal friendly, but in reality it doesn't really matter, since at 50mph, you will need a sustained 2000-3000W. As you can see from this chart: http://www.americanroadcycling.org/articles/PSL/WiddersHump/WattsSpeed.htm the wattage required is non-linear.
From 0-20mph takes just 180 watts, from 20-25 takes 300 watts for just 5 mph more. With a heavier, inefficiently pedaling bike and drivetrain, the pedal effort will be high and the gains negligible. Since a trained cyclist (I used to have a VO2 max of 72, so I know what a trained cyclist is) has output in the 300W range, and most engineers here are probably going to be clutching their chest at anything over 80 watts sustained, pedaling a 50mph bike will not get you much.

THE MINIMUM YOU WILL WANT
1. A quality new DH frame (a used DH frame is a bad idea, unless you know its history): cost $2-3,000 (frame only)
2. A quality DH fork. Single crown 180mm Marzocchi 66 (or Fox 36, Rockshox Totem), or better a dual crown 200mm Fox 40, Rockshox Boxxer, or similar: Cost $1,500-$2,000
3. A quality DH wheelset designed for 2.5" tires: cost $500-1000
4. 2.5 tires designed for abuse, and appropriate for the street, these need to be in the 1200-1500g range per tire, with DH tubes. The only tire I know of is the Maxxis Hookworm: http://www.maxxis.com/bicycle/urban/hookworm.aspx
5. Decent 8" hydraulic disc brakes: Saint, Hope, Magura, Avid: cost $400
6. Aerodynamic fairing, carbon fiber preferred: cost $200-$1000, and a ton of labor
7. Personal motorcycle level protection, DOT helmet and EN CE "Level 2" protection:cost $500-1,500 http://www.cdc.gov/features/motorcyclesafety/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_armor
8. Now you get to add the costs of the rest of the bike components and...
9. add the cost of the motor, batteries, controllers, and chargers

Every MTB downhiller knows that the entry price is around $5-6,000 if you want to start riding DH. Adding the aerodynamics, custom design, and eBike goodness will run several more thousand.
An appropriate bike will weigh 40 lbs, plus 10 lbs for aero and accessories, plus 20 pounds (est) of batteries and motor. You are easily looking at a 100lb bike. And as such it will be stable and safe at 50mph, for about 15 minutes.

Yes, I think the answer to this is to either own a 50mph bike that you never ride above 40, or buy a stealth fighter and put in your own 100V lipo.

rdhfreethought said:
A road bike, even a good one, is a terrible bike to design a 50mph eBike around. Now, I am no expert on eBikes, but I have done "50 mph" MTB races, and only a true DH bike is designed to both handle 50 mph speed,

Utter slobbering hogwash. You obviously have no clue at all what you're talking about.

[youtube]yISN7pgfCtY[/youtube]
[youtube]2Ea6jCk3EgI[/youtube]
[youtube]nDcFSmLL0No[/youtube]
[youtube]hnk4_9GnAU0[/youtube]

The fingers said:
Riding in the exhaust plume of an SUV or MC doesn't smell appealing or healthy with my asthma, which tends to be worse at this season of the year. :x

Yeah, that sucks for sure. But if you want to go 50mph on a pushbike, you only have three options: Huge downhill. Hurricane force tailwind. Or tailgating something with a motor.

My point was that road bikes can and do go 50mph safely, with more positive control than some sloppy mushy motorcycle minus the engine.

liveforphysics said:
John in CR said:
I've had 50mph ebikes for 4 years, and I'm getting a bit bored. Where's the sticky thread for 100mph ebikes. :mrgreen:

I haven't written it yet. :)

But I made my 100mph ebike the hard way, just brute horsepower. The smart way would be streamlining.
Umm I believe that's the fun way sir. You are like the hot rod guys from the 40's and 50's you know when it was still believed jumping out from the crashing car was safer. :)

Chalo said:
rdhfreethought said:
A road bike, even a good one, is a terrible bike to design a 50mph eBike around. Now, I am no expert on eBikes, but I have done "50 mph" MTB races, and only a true DH bike is designed to both handle 50 mph speed,

Utter slobbering hogwash. You obviously have no clue at all what you're talking about.

Since you called me out, I figure I should respond. However, I have no desire to get into a flame war.

In my post, I tried to articulate why I thought it was a bad idea to move forward in a way that I see a lot of armchair pilots (aka engineers first and without any real experience with racing at speed). It is natural to take the known quantity i.e. road bikes, which are currently the fastest, most efficient, pedal powered type of bicycle, and modify them with a power source to push even faster. As anyone who rides a motorcycle will tell you, a short wheelbase motorcycle with skinny tires, is a bad idea for high speed. A motorcycle without suspension, is a bad idea. These are common sense ideas. Can you build a motocycle with skinny wheels, and no suspension, and do 50mph? Of course you can. And you wouldn't need very much power to do it, as it would be pretty darn efficient. But is it a good idea? Is it safe, in even the most remote aspect? Not by a long shot.

I have been about 45mph on my road bike (a lowly Litespeed Ti frame, built to last). It was sketchy as hell. Even braking from that speed on a road bike is sketchy. On my FR or DH bike, 40+ is fun, exhilarating, a piece of cake. And my 8" disc brakes can haul my ass from 40-0 is just a few seconds, with no brake fade. I can also gap 30 footers if needed, run over a cat, or smash into a lightweight object flying out of the back of someones pickup truck. On my road bike, the front wheel would crumple first, and I would crumple next.

Somehow, I don't really think you have pegged the speedo on both a road bike and a DH bike. So, it is you who more likely doesn't know what they are talking about. But, if you do not believe me, at least consider the common sense argument I posited above. A motorcycle, on 23mm tires, a puny wheelset, 3 lb carbon short wheelbase frame, with an upright hunched over riding position...it's just a recipe for disaster. It is simply not the best design choice.

I won't even ride a road bike without a motor! I can't imagine riding a power assisted one would go 50 mph! They feel like they're going to break when you sit on them and so much comfort, safety, reliability, and control has been lost due do designs based upon efficiency alone that to me, they're pretty much worthless. Add traffic and exhaust to the mix and it really blows my mind that the bikes have a following. The few times that I tried to ride one I was far from impressed.

I have however, gone 50+ on a well built downhill bike, down a mountain, with a backpack full of gear on, and I was merrily bunny-hopping cattle guards and railing through fields of watermelon sized rocks. They're fun on the highway too :wink:

Eyyy, you ain't get the memo..... 50Mph on a $80 kids toy

[youtube]KVBVqqVZ93A[/youtube]

There is a big difference between achieving a speed and safely managing it whilst engaging an environment.

It's easy to smash high speed with a steel road bike with v-pads on the open road.
Doing that same kinda speed say in traffic with repetitive stop starts and the added weight of electrification, well things change.

It's about understanding the inherent shortfalls and mitigating subsequent risks.

Hell isn't there an Olympic sport where they go down iced tubes on boogy boards at 80Mph+

They feel like they're going to break when you sit on them and so much comfort, safety, reliability, and control has been lost due do designs based upon efficiency alone

I don't agree on this point. Road bikes have improved in many ways over the years. I come at this from a long history of riding and steel frame designing/ building and current mainly carbon bike user. I live outside of a small city, and roads are interesting, challenging and few if any stops. Agree that even a bit of ugly traffic can wreck a good ride. Achieving / maintaining personal goals of fitness is key for me.

t3sla link is a blast. :lol: :lol:

Where do you get one and have them close down the road.

RLD70 said:
Other than pure thrill, what is the purpose of having a bike that goes 50+ mph?
maintaining that speed? get anywhere really fast. Having the capability but never using it? getting the cut above in acceleration. generally ebikes gain 80% of their top speed really quickly, then climb to the top speed. like my 6kW bike does 0-35 in around 4 seconds, and has a top speed of 50-51. I think i've gotten close to top speed once on a really long flat road. But, ill never do that again without an X5, motorcycle rims/stupid wide DH rims, reinforced steel frame wit docs TAs, and 8in discs front and back.

RLD70 said:

My wife was very against me building my very slow e-bike. She did bring up similar concerns mainly: "Doesn't that defeat the purpose of even having a bike?" :lol:

RLD70 said:

The only reason that bicycles in general aren't more popular as transportation is because they can't safely keep up with neighborhood traffic. If you want to see what I mean, go ride a pedal only bike through a big city and then ride something like a high powered e-bike or scooter that can go 35-45mph and report back on your thoughts. For me, keeping up with and having the ability to pass traffic turns something thats normally really scary into a quick, safe, fun commute. If there were more lightweight, neighborhood speed capable bikes out there on the roads, it would only get safer out there.

mdd0127 said:
RLD70 said:

The only reason that bicycles in general aren't more popular as transportation is because they can't safely keep up with neighborhood traffic. If you want to see what I mean, go ride a pedal only bike through a big city and then ride something like a high powered e-bike or scooter that can go 35-45mph and report back on your thoughts. For me, keeping up with and having the ability to pass traffic turns something thats normally really scary into a quick, safe, fun commute. If there were more lightweight, neighborhood speed capable bikes out there on the roads, it would only get safer out there.

How do you figure itd get safer with more electric bikes out on the road when most people drive their cars like idiots as it stands right now??

Back