Increase voltage

MK2R

100 W
Need a little help here to decide in what way to go.
I got an E-motorcycle (10kw 15kw peak).
Current:
72V (84V max)
150A controller (peak 200A)
current top speed 135km/h

Building a new battery with 100-150% inc capacity.

New controller.
*Stay with 72V system? Increase Amperes. Maybe 200A controller or more.
*Get 120V controller and keep the same Amperes as today.

I now have the posibility to choose voltage, It's a big hub with a 180/55 tire on it, unknown specs of the hub motor but probably something like a QS 8000W hub. the bike is currently peaking at 15kw at full throttle according to my BMS.

So, what happens in general if i increase the voltage in regards to the motor? is there something i need to think about, is going from a 72V system to a 120V system too big leap? should i go in the middle at 96V?

I want a bit more power out of it for overtaking, but i am not sure if increasing the Amperes is the right way to go with this hub, i think 200A at peak is quiet a lot to pressure those original cables so therefore i think about increasing voltage without having to replace the hub motor.

Any ideas of what i should do? i don't wanna keep the original controller becuase it doesn't have regen which gives the bike a consumption of about 45wh/km in average, i want to lower it and get more range

If you keep the same motor, more amps gives you more torque, more volts gives you a higher speed top end, assuming you have the torque to get there.

Increasing the volts of your battery probably won't get you the extra overtaking power you are after. You probably do want more amps. Phase amps from the controller. 200 isn't an enormous amount.

mxlemming said:
If you keep the same motor, more amps gives you more torque, more volts gives you a higher speed top end, assuming you have the torque to get there.

Increasing the volts of your battery probably won't get you the extra overtaking power you are after. You probably do want more amps. Phase amps from the controller. 200 isn't an enormous amount.

Ah, maybe i could keep the voltage of the system and go for higher amps, just a bit worried about the cables ampacity. it would also let me keep more parts of the "old" 72V system, so less of an investment. I don't really know what controller i have in it, it's a noname brand and it say "150A" and when i meassure with BT bms it maxes out on 200A. and tbh i don't need a high top speed, i mainly ride on roads with a speed limit of 70km/h so the current top speed of about 130km/h is a lot more than i actually need. but mostly i need to get regen on breaking/slowing down.

something that could be nice is the controller the speaks with Siacosis dashboard (voltol? i forgot the name but with flux weakening)

Back