Infineon Programming Help

johnrobholmes said:
we are good there at least.

Looks like you are good to go on the driver. Remember there are two versions of the Parameter Designer. My programming experience is the same a Methods. Assuming that you have the newer controller, you have to break and make the ground to get the controller to accept the program. This assumes 5V is continuously applied on the first two pins, and tx and rx are per the earlier picture I posted. Tx on your cable goes to TX on the controller and RX to RX.

I just blew up my controller and will be down for a while. If you would like I will ship you my known to work cable. It has swithes on both the 5 volts and ground. Just PM me with your address. I have another brand of cable that Methods sent me and I feel confident it will work when I have another controller ready. Worst case I will have to ask you to ship the cable back if the new cable doesn't work other wise you can keep it.

Bubba

that would be awesome. Want some shipping dough?

I feel really stupid not being able to get this to work. It seems that it should be easy, but I am not the only person having troubles.

johnrobholmes said:
that would be awesome. Want some shipping dough?

I feel really stupid not being able to get this to work. It seems that it should be easy, but I am not the only person having troubles.

No money needed. Just a PM with your address. It was driving me crazy until I found a driver that worked for me. I feeling stupid because I have blown two Infineon controllers not to mention the 3 cc controllers.

I am giving up on modding controllers myself and am in the market a 6 fet or preferable a 12 fet controller that has been modded to handle 50 or 60 amps continuous. The 4110 fets would be nice, but I kind of think the 80 amp fets that come stock might be OK. I wold go with an 18 fet, but it will not fit my current electronics bay. The 12 fet slides in with no room to spare.

Bubba

dontsendbubbamail said:
I am giving up on modding controllers myself and am in the market a 6 fet or preferable a 12 fet controller that has been modded to handle 50 or 60 amps continuous.

I don't know if this helps, but I am using a 12fet 50a controller from Keywin. I beefed up all the traces (not needed), added 6" of 22g wire to the shunt to lower the resistance, and get a current limit of about 65a (programmed down to 45a in software to achieve the 65a limit). My bike draws 36a when in delta at full throttle at 40mph.

When accelerating, I peak at 65a, and it drops to 10a when at full speed in wye. I then switch to delta, and it peaks back up at 65, and stays in the mid 50's to high 40's until I hit top speed, and then drops to about 36a.

The controller is never more than slightly warm to the touch. And this is all in 90f+ weather.
So I am not the hardest on my controller, but that should give you some idea that it can take some beating without blowing up.

nutsandvolts said:

dontsendbubbamail said:
:This leads me to believe that there is no standard protocol to go between a serial port and a USB port and explains why I cannot find a generic Windows driver.

There is a generic usb serial driver that is part of windows, but most products don't use it, instead they like to create their own drivers. They purchase a USB Vendor ID number, which gets passed to the operating system as part of the USB enumeration. I can't tell you why they wouldn't want to use a generic driver, but it probably has something to do with the fact that there is licensing and certifications involved. Technically speaking you can't claim to have a USB device unless you get a vendor ID code and pass certification testing that your device meets the USB standards. And if you don't do that, then you can't use the USB logos.

original_usb.gif

http://www.usb.org

PL-2303 USB to Serial Bridge Controller

You can find out from this that Prolific Technology is vendor ID 067b and that this PL-2303 serial bridge controller is part of several products, their hardware identifiers are listed. The vendor ID and hardware ID (along with device class identifiers) are what tell windows you need a driver during enumeration, when you plug in the USB device. In some cases, which seem to be mostly keyboards, mice, and removable disks, it justs finds the driver and works. That should be possible with other types of devices too but rarely seems to work in practice. This is one of my pet peeves, which I was ranting about here. You do have generic serial drivers, there are generic usb serial like for dongles and also the USB CDC device class. Let me put it this way: making a device that will "just work" in USB without driver install is not an easy thing to do, so most vendors don't bother, that's why it forces you to install a driver.

--------------------------------------

The way I understand it, there is a common standard among all of these USB-serial chipsets.
They all have to implement a specification, but how they implement is vendor specific.
There are also generic drivers but I haven't seen any usb serial products that use them.

Look here, but don't look for too long, just as you shouldn't look directly towards the sun for too long. :D
Universal Serial Bus Class Definitions for Communication Devices

I have a lot of respect for the hardware engineers who implement these USB specs in silicon.
These specifications are getting crazy complicated, and USB 3.0 is coming soon too.
The above are just the class definitions, the electrical specs are even more complicated.

Here's an interesting USB standard that I didn't even know existed until just now
Test & Measurement Class Specifications

This National Instruments VISA bus system is pretty interesting

I have seen how that works on several evaluation boards from other vendors that used the National VISA protocols

I'm playing around with an interesting USB hub chip. It's a dual host hub with downstream ports. So it can connect to two different hosts but have peripherals on the hub too. Very interesting. I could make a mobile device be a host, so you could plug in keyboards and such, but have data stored on a slave device, on the dual host hub. This way, the storage device could be available on PC or on the local device, both exactly the same way. Same could be true for other USB devices on the hub like audio or cameras or data capture.

Yikes I am way off topic, sorry.

--------------------------------------

This USB adapter part should be independent of the program. From the program's view it should just look like a serial port. So if one adapter doesn't work then perhaps another should be tried. You shouldn't need to try different drivers. Use the driver that came with the hardware. If it doesn't work with different adapters than maybe the program is not generic enough. Without source code it's anybody's guess. Soon I will join you folks in playing around with infineon controllers.

If the driver installed okay, and the serial port is there in hyperterminal, and you have the rx and tx looped back, but nothing returns when you type, then either the hyperterminal is not configured correctly or the adapter doesn't work. That's my take on it. It might be worth trying another terminal program too.

---------------------------------------

There's no drivers with the hardware? Sorry I haven't been following this whole situation. I mean the drivers for the USB serial cable. It didn't have drivers? Does this cable come with the controller? My belief is that any USB serial adapter should work. I can't see any reason why not. On the programming layer they all look the same for simple serial ie emulating RS232. The drivers may vary by hardware but the software interface should be the same. In some cases extra features might be added but this should be very simple asynchronous communication.
------------------------------------

The cable is separate, okay and you said the driver installed, now if you go into windows device manager, somewhere in there you can view the vendor ID and hardware ID. If you can find out what those are perhaps more sense can be made of this. At least then you know what chipset it is! Can you find those two things in device manager (I prefer to call it device mangler hehe), look for the COM port and drill down in properties until you find a list of properties, look for vendor and hardware IDs.

Trying the same thing here ... plugging in USB serial into WinXP. The driver for this one came with the product.
Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager -> Ports (COM & LPT) -> USB Serial Port (COM3) -> properties -> details -> drop down menu -> look for hardware IDs

Mine says FTDIBUS\COMPORT&VID_0403&PID_6001
The VID and PID are vendor and product
Looking them up [url=http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids]here
I can find the manufacturer and product.
From there you can get to their website, data sheets, drivers, etc.
Not all products are in that list but most USB serial chipsets are.

This one is vendor 0403 and product 6001, finding them in the list I see the vendor
0403 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd
6001 FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
This one is FT232 hardware chipset made by FTDI

-------------------------------------------

That yellow exclamation mark usually indicates some kind of problem with a driver. Sometimes the device will still work but more often than not it won't.
Ideally you want to see it without the yellow ! exclamation mark. Bubba's information showed that it's a PL-2303. But as I said earlier, I can't see any reason why another USB serial cable shouldn't work, it probably would need RS232 to TTL conversion (MAX232) and routing the RX and TX to the board. A USB-to-TTL would be even easier. But since more than one person has this prolific cable working, then I'm thinking something is either wrong with John's hardware or configuration of the driver or terminal program. First step is getting a driver install with no yellow ! As bikeraider said if you're getting ! then it's probably not the right driver.

---------------------------------------------

Is the cable just a cable or is it a dongle? In other words, is this prolific chipset on the controller or cable?

------------------------

You should be able to try another dongle fairly easily. They really need to ship drivers with that hardware.
I think that as long as you have a USB serial dongle with driver that works it shouldn't matter if it's prolific or some other.

-------------------------

Ah so methods has all of the goodies huh? There are little pockets of ebike goodles all over, most of which are hard to find!

tostino said:
Arlo1 said:
nutsandvolts said:
Whats up with your posts?
In my opinion, he was an asshole. He went, and changed every single one of his posts to say nothing. He edited every single one, and wiped out LOTS of useful information, by making threads swiss cheese.
Are you sure it was'nt a moderator who banned him or something? Soemtimes all your posts can get deleated with the click of a button if you are a dick or the moderators don't like you. If you can find what people have quoted from him it is still in their quotes!

No, he was the one who did it. He said in a thread (I think down in the cesspool) that he got upset (can't remember about what exactly), and that he had just got done editing all his previous posts to say nothing.

He may have been banned, or deleted his account after that.

Not sure if I should have posted here, or in on of the other threads I have running aobut this board...bu will try here and see if this thread jogs something in someone that may tell me what my issue is.

I have a Lyen 18 FET board, and lyen controller, cable, all drivers installed and I can happily program my Lyen board with either the lyen edition, the keywin edition or the new XPD software.

But I cant program my 18 FET Crystalyte board...at least it is in a Crystalyte case...but it looks modified to me..but by who ...? do not know..got it from maxwell65
Here are some pics.

I have wired up the board to the 5 pins exactly as in the Lyen board, and tried swapping the TX and RX. But still no joy, it will not flash

18 FET IRBF4110's and 100Volt caps.

It is a EB218-A 2-board.

file.php

file.php

file.php

I ahve also seen mention of breaking and making the ground wire while the program is trying to send, but have held fire on that for the moment, rather wait to see if anyone knows the issue rather keep trying till I fry something

NeilP said:
Not sure if I should have posted here, or in on of the other threads I have running aobut this board...bu will try here and see if this thread jogs something in someone that may tell me what my issue is.

I have a Lyen 18 FET board, and lyen controller cable all drivers in stalled and I can happily program my Lyen board with either the lyen edition, the keywin edition or the new XPD software.

But I cant program my 18 FET Crystalyte board...at least it is in a Crystalyte case...but it looks modified to me..but by who ...? do not know..got it from maxwell65
Here are some pics.

I have wired up the board to the 5 pins exactly as in the Lyen board, and tried swapping the TX and RX. But still no joy, it will not flash

18 FET IRBF4110's and 100Volt caps.

It is a EB218-A 2-board.

I ahve also seen mention of breaking and making the ground wire while the program is trying to send, but have held fire on that for the moment, rather wait to see if anyone knows the issue rather keep trying till I fry something
I actualy had a 12 fet like that and it was a bad board. But you know about the pulse to make it flash right? How do you try to program it what software and what cable?

NeilP said:
I have a Lyen 18 FET board, and lyen controller, cable, all drivers installed and I can happily program my Lyen board with either the lyen edition, the keywin edition or the new XPD software.

Lyen Cable and any software works with the Lyen EB218 AS-1 board, but not with the Xlyte EB218-A-2 board...That if it is really a Xlyte controller..It is an Xlyte case...but it looks heavily modified to me

If by 'the flash' you mean pressing the button on the cable, then ye, understand about that..have programmed my lyen board many times

NeilP said:
NeilP said:

Lyen Cable and any software works with the Lyen EB218 AS-1 board, but not with the Xlyte EB218-A-2 board...That if it is really a Xlyte controller..It is an Xlyte case...but it looks heavily modified to me

If by 'the flash' you mean pressing the button on the cable, then ye, understand about that..have programmed my lyen board many times
OK I bet you the brain is brain dead. I would folow the traces from the program header and make sure they never did something funny!

Well I can have look and see. but the controller does work correctly when riding the bike and driving the motor.

What exactly should I be looking for? when I follow the traces back from the header?

Hey Neil!

I don't know anything about your clyte board, but I do have an analogy for you.

Way back in 2009 a lot of us on here started modding and programming our E-bikekit controllers, which are infineons. Well, sometime in early 2010, they switched their boards to a different version of the infineon and they wouldn't program. MKeefer tried a while, but concluded they must have either not populated the programming parts (aside from the header pins) or they cut the trace or something.

Maybe this board was neutered as well? Maybe Maxwell65 knows what's up?

Ok, thanks well it could be that, I'll PM max and see what he says. I have been trawling through the big " 18 FET infineon boards have arrived" thread and now at about page 30 of 64.

Maybe I will get to what you are talking about sometime soon

Back