Infineon Programming Help

John, you can't send text directly to the controller, you have to use the Parameter designer software. Which version you use depends on which board type you have.

I am trying to test the tx/rx, not trying to send text to the controller :lol:

The parameter designer won't upload to my controller. The pinout is correct, so I figure testing tx/rx is the next step.

Yes, using hyperterminal is just to test the cable, you don't plug it into the controller at that point, just loop the cable TX back into RX.
You don't press any button to send the text, the characters are displayed as you type them.

There isn't a sending procedure. As you press a key the serial code for that letter goes out of the TX wire of the cable. It then comes back in through the RX wire cos you've looped it back with a piece of wire and then it is displayed in the hyperterminal window. If you take the loop of wire out the key presses should stop coming back and being displayed.

So you don't get any letters echoed back and displayed?

Are you sure of your com port number?

For anyone who has programming working, I expect that there is a program installed on your computer that has the words "usb to serial" as part of the name and can be seen in Add Remover Programs on XP or Installed Application on Vista. If you have something other the Prolific installed, please post or give a screen shot of the name.

I have tied getting the programming working on two different XP computers, but the usb to serial driver will never start. My conclusion is that my cable may be bad. Methods is going to send me another brand of usb to serial cable to try.

The thing that confuses me is that most programming related threads don't mention installing a usb to serial driver and most folks don't remember having installed one. I only remember one thread that mentions installing a driver. Most instructions say to install Parameter Designer (there are two versions now), maybe install Richtx32.ocx and MSCOMM32.OCX and gives you a sample parameter file. Richtx32.ocx provides rich textbox functions and MSCOMM32.OCX provides comm port functions to Parameter Designer. The link to the usb port seems to be the usb to serial port driver. There are two or more chips that programming cables use and you can find the drivers on the web. This leads me to believe that there is no standard protocol to go between a serial port and a USB port and explains why I cannot find a generic Windows driver. Am I missing something?

The cable that I have came from Kwin and uses the Prolific chip. With no driver installed, Windows recognizes the device and knows that it needs the Prolific driver files by name. With the driver installed you can see the driver files location and names through Device Manager. There are some screen shots of this earlier in this thread.

Bubba

Attachments

• addremove.JPG
    addremove.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,349
nutsandvolts,

Thanks for explaining how Windows works. While I was trying to research the usb to serial driver that is supplied with Windows, I ran across another vendor that uses the Prolific chip, so I tried their install of the driver. It has a date of 2005, so may be a bit old, but IT WORKS. I have not tried to program, because I have broken a wire off and need to solder it back on. The driver is starting and mapping to a comm port.

Bubba

Here are the drivers that I tried. They are all Prolific drivers.

Setup.exe from swelldirect.com This one worked for me.

PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_10311.zip from Prolific.tw The link that came from somewhere on Endless-sphere did not work. I think it is the same one icecube57 sent me.

5CPL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v10518.zip rom Prolific.tw Google got me to this one. This did not work.

If these links die, PM me and I will send them to you if I still have them. The one that worked for me always failed when I tried to upload it.

Bubba

Bubba has successfully programmed the controller. I resoldered the wire and had to use the ground lift method of initiation. The other methods of getting the controller to communicated did not work for me.

Bubba

No love for me getting the serial adapter to work. I tried three drivers with no luck. Hyperterminal lets me type but doesn't receive anything back when the tx and rx are crossed.

hardware coming with drivers? I wish!

This frustration just makes me want to get more friendly controllers made ASAP

no, the cable is separate. I had to search for drivers through this board, although windows comes with some. When I plug it in windows recognizes it and it pops up in the hardware, but I can't get it to actually work.

Big fat trouble is all these guys are for me. Great cheap controllers, horrible time burners.

The chipset is on the dongle. USB to little black box, with four wires coming out of the box : RX, TX, 5v +, and 0v.

The dongle is used to communicate with the controller. I can't get any data to go through it.

Back