SOLVED: Is it possible to destroy a KT controller by switching the wires from the PAS sensor?

SOLVED: it's embarrising, but I connected the PAS to the wrong plug. The one on the controller is the right, the one on the cable tree is for the thumb gas... :/
Now it works!

Anyway, thanks for your input!

Hi all!

During my search, I stumbled over this post: PAS voltages
Hence, I thought this is the right place to ask!

I am close to finish a eBike conversion of a Flevobike GreenMachine (GM) into an eBike with a KT front wheel motor. If you don't know the GreenMachine, it's a recumbent with fully enclosed chain with an integrated Rohloff 14 speed hub. This is a random post with some decent photos of it.

As the GM can't take a default KT-D12 PAS, I desoldered the cable and soldered a longer one. Stupidly I didn't not down the colors of the wires, and very likely I mixed up 5V and signal on the first connection attempt.

Then I looked in photos I have taken to document the whole project and found the correct cable color mapping. When I connected them correctly, I got the "01 Info" error message on the display (KT-LCD4). When I switched the red with the white cable (5V and signal) the error message went away.

When I pedal now, I get an alternating signal 0/5V (measured with a cheapo oscilloscope) but the whee with the hub motor (mounted in a stand) just does some unmotivated jumps, does not even rotate really.

When I long press the down button on the display for the walking / pushing support, it runs constantly at 5.5km/h

Is it possible to destroy the controller by switching the signal and power wire? They are both 5 volts.
Would it be possible to destroy it by switching ground and power/signal? I doubt I did it, but just to know...

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
It should be ok if you are still getting a pas signal. You may need to reverse the signal using the C1 setting. Try peddling backwards first to see if the pas kicks in.

Is it possible to destroy the controller by switching the signal and power wire? They are both 5 volts.
Would it be possible to destroy it by switching ground and power/signal? I doubt I did it, but just to know...

Thanks for your time!
It's possible to dkill the 5v source if you accidentally short the 5v and ground wires.

Back