Is a dinple or dent catastrophic for a hub?

bumper

10 W
I just noticed that one of my golden motors hubs has a little dimple, like a rock hit it or something. I don't know who it got there. However, it is powering up and running fine. it is very small maybe smaller than a dime. It is also at the top close to the spokes.

This is a direct drive hub and brushless.

Since I see people put holes in their hub motors I wouldnt think it would be harmful.

Probably better if you were to post a pic so someone with more knowledge could say for sure.

ohzee said:
Since I see people put holes in their hub motors I wouldnt think it would be harmful.

Probably better if you were to post a pic so someone with more knowledge could say for sure.

Hole in the hubs?! What?! Maybe I'm just worrying too much. It's like one of those mini dings you get from a grocery cart on your car door.

Seriously, why would anyone drill a hole there? I always thought it should be a pristine, dry environment inside the hub. Weight reduction? Looks?

To give a nice place for the flames to peek out at the world. :) Don't want to be keeping them all cooped up in there. :)

[youtube]e03rMDmJzLE[/youtube]

It's for cooling.

Cooling.

If there isn't any noise (from rubbing/interference), then I would think the motor should be fine.

Harmless I'd think.

Back