is a motor dedicated to 36v or 48v

johnrobert

100 µW
Is a motor dedicated to voltage 36v or 48v or can it be used on both
I thought it did not matter just that it would go faster with 48V

Also will a 48V battery last longer than an equivalent 35V battery same AH
I have both and they look the same size not used 48v yet so don't know
I guess its the layout of the batteries

I have a 48 battery and just ordered this wheel as you can see it a 48v 350w motor so its a dedicated 48v

48V 350W US $173.99 it will be a long wait

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33026505117.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.122a3c00vrkjqC&mp=1

Motors usually don't have a dedicated voltage, but rather a fixed rpm per volt, which is sometimes (confusingly) called kV. Controllers, displays, and some powered accessories often do have a limited operating voltage range. This is usually specified.

A higher voltage battery of the same amp- hour rating will contain proportionally more watt-hours of energy, and hypothetically would provide more range. But it also enables higher speeds from the same motor, which consume more watt-hours per a given distance. As a result, it's possible to yield the same range or even lower range with a battery that contains more energy.

Motors that have a built-in controller are limited to the voltage range supported by the controller.

The labeling of a motor of such and such Voltage is only a rating, as in the all important speed range rating; ie, 260 rpm @ 36 Volts.
Use the motor at any Volts system (within reason) you want, but take note of the motor's Watts rating, which may be increased 1 1/2 to 2 times (depending on conditions) and adjust the Amps accordingly.
V X A = W
"Your mileage may vary."

Re the motor voltage, most systems are designed to run at a legal speed somewhere, so the 36v is wound to come out at roughly that speed. A 48v is wound for less rpms per volt, so it goes the same roughly legal top speed. It won't damage them changing voltage... It just changes the speed they were designed to run at.

Re battery, a battery of a higher voltage, with the same amp hours has more capacity.

For easy numbers, a 36v 10 ah battery has 360 watt hours (wh). A 48v 10ah has 480wh.

If you go the other way, a 360wh battery has basically the same capacity in 36 or 48v. Then it's 10ah for a 36v and 7.5 ah in a 48v.

The motor, no. Just varies speed, as mentioned, within reason.

The controller, however, has programmed LVC limits which often cannot be changed, and also usually physical limitations in the capacitors, ie., Some 36V controllers can do 48V just fine, and Some will pop their caps. Some can do 48 but not 54, etc.

Also consider that the heat build up with roughly scale with voltage.

I don't think that you'll have a problem pushing 48V through a 36V motor.

Back