Compatible controller for a 5 pin torque sensor

graresf

1 mW
First of all, apologies, I feel that this question has been asked again and again, and I have yet to find an answer for myself, despite going through a lot of information on this forum and outside of it.
My technical skills are mediocre regarding the matter, my passion is 10/10, but I don't have the time (work + toddler) to go through this rabbit hole as much as I'd want to.

Problem: busted controller.
Bike: ampler stout.
motor: AKM100SX (9pins)
battery: 48V 7Ah.
torque pedal sensor: NCTE sbbrt-120l-1-8-708

So I'm looking for a controller replacement, I've received a quote of 350E + transportation from Ampler, but I'm looking to pay at most half of that, reason being, I could already fix the bike with these:

KT Controller (the 350W one, think the mottor cand handle an extra 100W)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004514604428.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.75bc38da5abAkb&mp=1

KT Display
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005417141995.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.75bc38da5abAkb&mp=1

PAS sensor
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003812987021.html?

So everything for less than 100E.
So that would be the easiest option. The issue is, I have this nice piece of torque sensor,
1699871467349.JPEG1699871467381.JPEG1699871676402.png

and I would like to use it, but can't find the correct controller for it.
I have seen the thread about the guy who rebuilt an ampler controller from scratch, also the one about making a programmable controller, that would (maybe) support such a torque sensor, but as I said, I have nowhere the time to gain such knowledge, as much as I'd like to.

What I'm looking for should be something close to plug-and-play, if anything like that exists.
No throttle needed, using the bike to get my kid to the daycare, no need for "accidental" throttle push :D.

I don't think the controller you are looking at has a torque sensor input. I've heard of people hacking support in with open source firmware and connecting it to the cadence sensor input, and also seen people open the controller up and solder an extra wire to another analog input pad on the circuit board, but those are pretty advanced projects.

I wouldn't try to use that controller with torque control at all, but if you really must, you could wire the torque sensor up to a cycle analyst, then have that output a simulated throttle to the controller. That allows using any dumb old controller.

Also worth pointing out that you list a PAS cadence sensor in your intended purchases, but that bottom bracket torque sensor already clearly has that built-in in addition to the torque sensor:
Screenshot_20231113-054459.png
Screenshot_20231113-054440.png

The channel A and channel B wires are just the usual Hall effect sensors used in a PAS cadence sensor. So there's no point in having both as long as the controller/display you purchase is smart enough to allow being programmed to use either.

Thanks, and good point about already having a cadence sensor.
So from this
1699884577050.png

I understand that I could use the WHITE, BLUE and BROWN wires to connect the to a KT controller, that suports PAS sensor.
But would it work? The kt controller usually have 0-5v range, as with throttles, but for this one it says I have to supply it 7-16v.

Later edit: I think I also need the BLACK wire. So I need a controller that supports PAS sensor with 4 wires?

Last edited:
why not just use a throttle forget about the torque sesnor, assuming thats not the answer you want,
so check this video it has contact for manufacturer in china on it, i'm sure they can supply you a controller to suit.
kclamber brand torque sensor

Last edited:
FWIW, you can use the Cycle Analyst v3 V3 Cycle Analyst Info Page with just about any torque sensor (or cadence, or both), and use that to generate a throttle signal for any controller out there that will run from just a throttle.

So if you already have a controller that will run from throttle-only, you can use the CA to go between them and interpret the TS into a throttle signal.

You don't have to use the CA on the handlebars if you don't want it visible; you can hide it wherever and use remote buttons for certain parameters if you need to.

I use one for this purpose (though I'm presently using only the cadence sensor in my TDCM BB torque sensor) to control two different controller/motor systems on the SB Cruiser trike.

They come up used here on the forum now and then for a lot cheaper. Just make sure you get the v3.x (the 2.x doesn't have the hardware for the torque sensor stuff).

If you're up for coding / programming an Arduino or similar MCU, you can create a device that reads the torque sensor and cadence sensor and generates a throttle from it. It would be reasonably simple if that's all it had to do (I don't know the code needed, but I can imagine the blocks of stuff needed for it).

Last edited:
Back