Is my late 90's frame too old to build up?

A battery maker would be proud to say he had a certain model or type of Panasonic cell he would be proud to say he had a certain LG cell. If they won't tell you what cell they have they're having some real generic Chinese cell that they can't even know what it is.

Of course. It is a major sale argument, to advertise that you are building with quality batteries. Some will sell a bike cheap with cheap batteries, and offer quality batteries for 500$ extra to those questioning the battery specs. This is pretty common here. Bikes are advertised with the cheapest, smallest battery. Then once you are inside the shop, they tell you how much more you have to spend for a quality battery that suits your needs. Buying a battery alone is the same: you know the real value when you know the cells it’s built with.

That is why you buy from a reputable seller or a known entity for whom others have purchased and posted about. But not only that, you must realize who the poster is because if its a new member with their first post praising a website then you have to be suspicious vs a "guru" on es praising a seller.

Well for batteries ebikes.ca , em3ev. First rate. Low complaints. There a lot of other companies. There should be a thread in the battery section as for people buying and using batteries with what type of success they have. Something up-to-date . As it is the heart of the ebike and some of us push the heart to their limit.

2old said:
It appears that your frame is the exception and this will not be a problem. I've been riding a BBS02-equipped steel hardtail off road for six years (twice a week, 10 - 15 miles) on pretty hilly, eroded trails in socal; it's neither needed maintenance nor failed. Don't worry about your chain; mine has never been a problem, but just in case carry a multi-tool with a chain breaker and an extra link. Check Suspension Fork Perks if your fork has elastomers and don't worry about the performance unless you're really riding demon-like. Many have used these off road for years.

Thanks, it seems I may have derailed some by mentioning battery. Maybe it should be a separate thread?

I'm going to talk to some shops nearby that deal heavily with used bike parts and see what I can do about the front fork.

It looks like there's room for a "dolphin-type" battery mounted upside down on your top tube (look at Minoura clamps, which provide an extra "water bottle" connection, on Amazon). The combination of those mounts and a couple of straps (maybe three) should be adequate. The other option is a 52 V, 4 - 6 ah seat tube battery. These are relatively small (4" X 4" X 6") weighing < four pounds. My 4 ah is good for about 10 miles off road in steep terrain on a BBS02, and I could carry an extra in a pack easily if necessary.

Back