Is there hope ?

Ezrider_028

10 mW
Left the bike laying flat and relative reversed and drove over it (see pic). Only one side of the motor cover cracked - tested the stator and it’s all good. Does anyone know a source where I can purchase just the motor case. Else I thought of welding with 4043 Aluminum Rods

IMG_4454.jpeg

Thanks for the info- I didn’t think there was a parts needed section. Will check it out. This is a 2 year old 48v 1000w Voilamart, if I can’t find the plate cover then I will probably just sell the motor. Again thanks.

My son and I were riding it around the block and of course we should have used the kick stand but it the bike was laid on the driveway. And my other relative reversed his SUV and ran over the back wheel. Wasn’t sure if I could weld it since I do have a welder and aluminum rods.

The path of least resistance is definitely a new hub. I would have your chumpy relative buy you a new one, and then play around with the old one to experiment with fixing it if it amuses you. The prognosis for your old hub isn't very good, but taking a crack at it could be its own reward.

Welding it isn't entirely impossible I suppose if you find some NASA welder guy, but I suggest you entirely forget it. It is a thin casting, and it will be impossible to avoid warping, these bearings need to be positionned very, very precisely. Plus it's a casting alloy and they often weld terribly anyway. Also, the casting deformed before cracking so yeah, everything already moved anyway.
So I'd say no hope in this direction.

There could be some hope if you happen to know some guy with an industrial lathe willing to help you make a new cover, but that is definitely some work and probably not cheap unless you're good friends. I suppose it is an unplausible solution though.

You need either a new cover or a new motor.
I was able to find a new cover for my motor here in China, but it was a QS motor which are relatively common/easy to source. No idea about your motor, can't say if it's common or not.

I suggest you check the classified for a bike like yours being sold for parts. You could get a second hand motor cheaply.
Or just ask your relative to buy you a brand new motor :mrgreen:
The insurance might work.

Thanks all for the guidance. I did visit the Voilamart website but they don’t sell individual parts everything is a kit. This situation brings some perspective with my next hub motor purchase, where I won’t mind paying a bit more but they should offer me some individual parts to properly repair.

Leaf has hub motor parts to buy, but compare the price of the part with shipping included vs getting a whole new one.
Laced hub motors cost more to ship.

Thanks all - yes checking several sources for prices, it comes down to one conclusion, which is to buy new. The only other suggestion someone offered was to have it 3D printed as they use some material that is as strong as aluminum. But I have zero experience with that.

I do not have my glasses to easily read, is that cracked cover bolted on or is it all one peice, I have a motor like that on a geared. Only has one side cove that is bolted on. I doubt Voilamart would have anything different or off standard for side cover, they just rebrand generic stuff dont they?
I bet any other 1kw dd hub cover plate would fit that if yours is also a 1kw. Sometimes a cover plate will fit, but the mounting holes do not line up, that is exactly what I am dealing with with my ezee/bmc. I have a cover off another geared, I think an ebay special.

Id try my best to get the same hub motor as the cracked side cover hub motor, if you want to stay the same.

It’s all one piece that cracked. The color is because I used varnish sealant for water sealing. Anywho, I found a few vendors on AliExpress that offer inexpensive covers but seems Voilamart had a special built - and I can’t find one that matches close to the diameter dimension. https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOZIMQW

Chalo you shouldn't lay your bike down behind a parked car you should put your bike off to the side of the driveway not behind or middle of the driveway. This is for future reference.
I might have a side cover in my garage but as I've tried putting different stators from different motors together the side covers are of many different shapes. But many of us here are in the spirit have side covers. It looks like the wire side the non-drive side it's just correct ?

I tried calling Voilamart and to be honest they are no help. They won’t even sell the hub - they only sell the entire kit.

Ok here is the update - I couldn’t stand being down not able to ride, so while I continue my search for a hub cover, in the mean time, I welded the broken hub using my Arc welder and 4043 aluminum electrodes. See pic. I’ve been testing it for a few days although not 100% perfect - I’ve been riding a little over 60 kilometers, at max speed of 48kph. I welded both sides and the electrode provides a tensile strength of 40k psi, although welding aluminum is a pain - not as easy as steel. Also I added some metal brackets for extra protection.

Attachments

• IMG_4454.jpeg
    IMG_4454.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4460.jpeg
    IMG_4460.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Ok here is the update - I couldn’t stand being down not able to ride, so while I continue my search for a hub cover, in the mean time, I welded the broken hub using my Arc welder and 4043 aluminum electrodes. See pic. I’ve been testing it for a few days although not 100% perfect - I’ve been riding a little over 60 kilometers, at max speed of 48kph. I welded both sides and the electrode provides a tensile strength of 40k psi, although welding aluminum is a pain - not as easy as steel. Also I added some metal brackets for extra protection.
This is the way...

Back