Is this the same KnightMB that sold us out?

Joseph C. said:
flathill said:
He mined coins using Amazon EC2. The guy is a genius whether he is evil or not.

If he was truly a genius he wouldn't have been caught and left traces of his activity everywhere. Neither would he have sold this forum - to further draw attention to himself.

Sly, perhaps. A genius, definitely not.

He only broke laws that will exist in the future. Bitcoin will likely be circumvented in the next 10 years as meth said but not broken until quantum computers combine with china's shared supercomputer nicknamed "the brain" :D

I read somewhere that all the supercomputers put together in the world would be no where near powerful enough to crack the bitcoin cryptology.

Quantum computers, once invented and properly up and running, would also be used to encrypt - bitcoin would evolve.

The problem with this digital currency is that it takes ages to make a transaction. Could you imagine waiting for the guts of an hour to pay for something in a shop? Screw that. :mrgreen:

I still think this guy is far from a genius but that's my viewpoint.

I still find it amusing (in an odd way) that we all know what the real name of this "genius" is, where he lives, his phone number, his email address, and perhaps other things I cannot recall at the moment. I still think he was shrewd and immorally took advantage of this community, but "genius"? Pffft. No way.

Really anyone who has personal details on knight should post here...adress phone number etc.

I bet we could get him to reimburse justin for purchase price in bitcoins if we get enough attorneys, irs agents etc. behind us.

I am buddies with an irs agent i know here in SF who can give me some referrals.

Bitcoins are tax evasion...and there is a bounty for turning in tax evaders.

My guess knightmb will pay 40k in bitcoin to get the dogs off if we point our guns at him.

He has a lot to lose...why not start putting the pressure on?

Its hard to sic the taxman on him when we are not sure if Michael Knight is a real name, and if it is which michael knight it is.

The email address i have for him is an encryped one using a shifty dns server.

If someone has knights address or phone number please pm it to me and i will not make it public.

I would like to send him official letter to his home address.

I think its a fair chance we can get 40,000 dollars worth of bitcoin at fair market value to reimburse justin.

The united states goverment is at this moment cracking down on bitcoins and i am sure knight is looking for fast ways to cash out.

i dont see people in black and white and i believe michael knight has many good sides and would like to give something back to the community he helped start and then sold out. i am sure he didnt expect a transfer to go so rough or he would have not done it.

Without methods and lfp i doubt the tides would have turned so severely. And this is a very smart free minded group.

There was a post sometime back by Knightmb that linked
to a local news story IIRC they interviewed him i forgot
exactly what the article was for whether e-bikes or hosting, perhaps
someone else remembers the details?

KiM

Green Machine said:
Its hard to sic the taxman on him when we are not sure if Michael Knight is a real name, and if it is which michael knight it is.

The email address i have for him is an encryped one using a shifty dns server.

If someone has knights address or phone number please pm it to me and i will not make it public ...
That is one of the reasons you wouldn't want it published on the forum. Another would be the ramifications of something "accidently" happening to him after said publishing.

Cheers,
GT

Green Machine said:
Its hard to sic the taxman on him when we are not sure if Michael Knight is a real name, and if it is which michael knight it is....

I think its a fair chance we can get 40,000 dollars worth of bitcoin at fair market value to reimburse justin.

The united states goverment is at this moment cracking down on bitcoins and i am sure knight is looking for fast ways to cash out.

i dont see people in black and white and i believe michael knight has many good sides and would like to give something back to the community he helped start and then sold out. i am sure he didnt expect a transfer to go so rough or he would have not done it....
It wouldn't take a PhD to predict we would stage a rebellion.

knightMB's legal status is now an open question. He may be accused of fraud as well as tax evasion.

People can change for better or worse... throwing $3M into the game can make things happen quickly.

Another thread that may be interesting it to run the trap line of who owned the servers that knightmb admitted to buying that had hidden in them a wallet with 371,000 BTC. They might be interested in litigation about that purchase.

The original company might have been Dynamic Network Services Inc. Now named Dyn from this article http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/inc-magazine-recognizes-dyn-as-2011-top-small-company-award-winner-1517874.htm Now there is a slight problem as this company is in New Hampshire, and indications were that knightmb was in Franklin TN. I don't know about that.

on a message board profile knightmb states his email. If you load the company part he states (and lists the location as Franklin TN) load http://www.dyndns.org and you are redirected here: http://dyn.com/dns/

From the public Linkedin search, you get Jeremy Hitchcock as the CEO of Dyn. Says he was in that postion since 2005. http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4917453&authType=name&authToken=cMVi&locale=en_US&pvs=pp&trk=ppro_viewmore

I wonder if Mr Hitchcock knows that his company sold over $2million of BTC in a wallet in a server for a few grand? Might he be interested? :twisted:

bigmoose said:
Another thread that may be interesting it to run the trap line of who owned the servers that knightmb admitted to buying that had hidden in them a wallet with 371,000 BTC. They might be interested in litigation about that purchase.

The original company might have been Dynamic Network Services Inc. Now named Dyn from this article http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/inc-magazine-recognizes-dyn-as-2011-top-small-company-award-winner-1517874.htm Now there is a slight problem as this company is in New Hampshire, and indications were that knightmb was in Franklin TN. I don't know about that.

on a message board profile knightmb states his email. If you load the company part he states (and lists the location as Franklin TN) load http://www.dyndns.org and you are redirected here: http://dyn.com/dns/

From the public Linkedin search, you get Jeremy Hitchcock as the CEO of Dyn. Says he was in that postion since 2005. http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=4917453&authType=name&authToken=cMVi&locale=en_US&pvs=pp&trk=ppro_viewmore

I wonder if Mr Hitchcock knows that his company sold over $2million of BTC in a wallet in a server for a few grand? Might he be interested? :twisted:

Well, the "wallet" is just data, which doesn't necessarily change ownership with the sale of server hardware. MB could have walked out of there after copying the wallet to a USB stick. The question is whether the bitcoins were generated on Mr. Hitchcock's server, running on his network, using electricity and cooling he paid for. But that might be difficult to prove... unless his firewall managed to log a whole bunch of bitcoin traffic over the past couple years and he still has those records, which incidentally would probably be easily linked to the bitcoins in question. I've done a little reading over the past couple days. Bitcoins are generated by bitcoin network nodes as a reward for contributing to the network.

I wouldn't invest in it personally, I don't think it's a very good system. Cracking it could be done by any entity that can either muster enough computing power to outperform all the rest of the network for a short period of time (unlikely, but nonetheless possible) or, probably more likely, and far more damaging to the system, by cracking double-SHA256 in a way that permits creating hash collisions or creating hashes with the required number of leading zeroes faster than can be done by brute force. Certainly not something I would bet a system of currency on.

Not to mention the simple fact that the whole system relies on a huge quantity of computing resources and energy being simply wasted just on the principle that the central network can dig holes and fill them in again faster than any attackers.

I got a weird email from knight during the crisis from the following email: knightmb@knightmb.dyndns.org what i interpreted as warning me he had access to all PM's. What was so strange is i have messaged knight 2 times in the last year and he never bothered to open the message.

SO the dyndns connection is real.

Can someone pm me his home address if you dont want to publish it here?

There is nothing illegal about publishing personal information such as address or email of someone.

Is there a tax lawyer here on ES who would like to help out?

Between us we could gather enough information to sink knightmb....i am pretty sure the information we aleady got is worth 40k in bitcoin to settle. :)

julesa said:
Cracking it could be done by any entity that can either muster enough computing power to outperform all the rest of the network for a short period of time (unlikely, but nonetheless possible)

If you had more power than the whole rest of the system (given the number of server farms chomping on it, this would be virtually impossible), you could sell a coin and keep it yourself, but unless you could continuously over power the system (which would be hundreds of millions in monthly server cost, and still perhaps impossible), once the system went back to normal, it would not allow the existence of 2 coins with the same answer, so the mess would at least stick out as an anomaly.

julesa said:
I wouldn't invest in it personally, I don't think it's a very good system.

Just curious, have you ever seen a more secure system for representing money? What is it?

liveforphysics said:
julesa said:
Cracking it could be done by any entity that can either muster enough computing power to outperform all the rest of the network for a short period of time (unlikely, but nonetheless possible)

If you had more power than the whole rest of the system (given the number of server farms chomping on it, this would be virtually impossible), you could sell a coin and keep it yourself, but unless you could continuously over power the system (which would be hundreds of millions in monthly server cost, and still perhaps impossible), once the system went back to normal, it would not allow the existence of 2 coins with the same answer, so the mess would at least stick out as an anomaly.
You're ignoring my central point -- the whole system depends on it being impossible to generate a double SHA-256 hash with a certain number of leading zeroes faster than can be done with brute force. They used to think MD5 hashes were bulletproof too, from the early nineties until about two years ago, when someone proved they were vulnerable. Then they switched to SHA-1 hashes, which have since also proved vulnerable. Now they use SHA-2 series hashes. Maybe those are secure. Maybe not.

I'm not saying it's insecure (though it is wasteful of energy and computing resources). I'm saying I don't know how secure it is, and I don't think you do, either.

Now not saying there is any connection here, but this is worth a read, just to know where the US government stands:
http://howtoreportfraud.com/report-tax-evasion
On December 20, 2006 Congress created a new IRS income tax reward program. It is modeled after the DOJ reward program, but applies specifically to tax cheaters. This program allows you to receive a reward of up to 30% of the amount the IRS recovers back from unpaid taxes as a result of your submission. Although much of the program is the same as the DOJ program, there are some significant differences.

First, you do not need to prove that the company or individual intended to cheat on taxes. Rather, all that needs to be shown is that they underpaid taxes within the last three years. However, if you show that they intended to cheat, the IRS can collect for as many years that they committed tax fraud.

Another notable difference is who the IRS reward program affects.

The new program only applies when the underreported taxes by a person or company amounts to $2 million. Be mindful that to show underpayment of taxes by this amount, you may need to establish that the company claimed improper deductions or hid income by $7 million (assuming a 28% tax bracket). In addition, if you allege a person underreported taxes, not only must you establish the $2 million amount, but the person cheating must have had a gross income of at least $200,000 during one of the tax years at issue. In other words, the new reward program does not apply to smaller tax fraud cases.

... again, just info on the laws of the land.

AussieJester said:
There was a post sometime back by Knightmb that linked
to a local news story IIRC they interviewed him i forgot
exactly what the article was for whether e-bikes or hosting, perhaps
someone else remembers the details?
A search of his posts for the word "news" finds this:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9479&p=146341

and this:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8

(in which he says:
KnightMB said:
No one is perfect, I know, but I do have enough experience with forums over the past decade to know that sometimes it's just best to stay out of everyone's way when the creative juices start to flow. Just keep the spam away, everyone should be happy :D
it's too bad it didn't work out quite like that, but it just about did work out like Xyster said:
Xyster said:
Go ballistic on those damn spammers! Inflict some serious, Endless-Sphere brand tyranny on their intrusive, fraud-spewing, forum-ruining asses!
)

amberwolf said:
Xyster said:
Go ballistic on those damn spammers! Inflict some serious, Endless-Sphere brand tyranny on their intrusive, fraud-spewing, forum-ruining asses!

:mrgreen:

-methods

liveforphysics said:
Just curious, have you ever seen a more secure system for representing money? What is it?
Solid gold dude of course. We pay big money to dig it up out of the ground then we refine it and polish it up so we can bury it back in the ground and pay someone monthly to guard it! :mrgreen:

http://www.fibertech.com/about-fibertech/mgmt/michael-brown/

That would be Michael M Brown, as listed here:

http://www.manta.com/g/mmyyzzf/michael-m-brown

http://www.manta.com/c/mmyyzzf/endless-sphere-technologies

Coincidence?

I think not.

(edit, ooh, especially as his previous company? Was called ... White Knight Communication)

Back