Jive bike

Miles

100 TW
Well, no one's posted about this yet, so:

http://jivebike.com/jive-bike/

A ' last mile ',' blue ocean', gizmo...........

It has Mark Sanders' stamp all over it.....

Jive-bike-ready-to-go.png

Very futuristic looking. Not my style, but he's onto something.

I always wondered if the lefty type of forks are strong enough. I remember Cannondale doing it and I never could wrap my head around the styling. Just bugged me for some reason.

Gunna be difficult to put a hub motor on that.
otherDoc

where are the chain and the sprockets?
looks like it is only electric..

Hi All,
I was in Europe in April, May and June. Met with some of the principals involved in the sales of Mando Footloose and YikeBike in Europe. I have also been in discussion with the principals in charge of the marketing of the Jive Bike. While the YikeBike is only an electric vehicle and cannot be pedaled, the Mando Footloose can be pedaled, but only when the motor is running, when the battery is dead, so are the pedals. The Jive Bike tries to solve this problem and claims to be able to be pedaled like a regular bike, used as an power on demand electric and also as a pedal assist bike.
I have ridden both the YikeBike and Mando Footloose, but have not yet test ridden the Jive Bike. Will let you know my feelings after that first ride. If any of you have info. on any other folding electric that may be the next big breakthrough ready to hit the market, please let me know.

ancientbicyclist said:
Hi All,
I was in Europe in April, May and June. Met with some of the principals involved in the sales of Mando Footloose and YikeBike in Europe. I have also been in discussion with the principals in charge of the marketing of the Jive Bike. While the YikeBike is only an electric vehicle and cannot be pedaled, the Mando Footloose can be pedaled, but only when the motor is running, when the battery is dead, so are the pedals. The Jive Bike tries to solve this problem and claims to be able to be pedaled like a regular bike, used as an power on demand electric and also as a pedal assist bike.
I have ridden both the YikeBike and Mando Footloose, but have not yet test ridden the Jive Bike. Will let you know my feelings after that first ride. If any of you have info. on any other folding electric that may be the next big breakthrough ready to hit the market, please let me know.

The next folding bike to be ' the next big breakthrough' will be the first :? Folders don't fold well and are not good bikes.
Put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig.

Pigs are actually very smart, compact and super strong. And I don't think they would like lipstick anyway. They are what they are.

ancientbicyclist said:
Pigs are actually very smart, compact and super strong. And I don't think they would like lipstick anyway. They are what they are.

I don't see the fascination with folders. With the thousands of bikes i see every week I barley ever see a folder. Putting a motor on it is not going to make it any more popular. I suppose they fold up neatly to live in your cupboard never to be used.

A perfect example of Engineers trying to solve a problem that does not exist. It's what Engineers do when they don't understand marketing.

Modbikemax said:
A perfect example of Engineers trying to solve a problem that does not exist. It's what Engineers do when they don't understand marketing.
Amazingly, there does seem to be a market for a bike which folds up... Who would have thought?

Miles said:
Modbikemax said:
Amazingly, there does seem to be a market for a bike which folds up... Who would have thought?
I guess there 'is' a sucker born every day. :roll:
I was in my local bike shop yesterday and there were a dozen or more bikes with price tags over A$10k, carbon wonders, but not one folder. Either they sold out or they don't sell. Or maybe the bike shop just likes to keep product on the shelf that doesn't sell. Engineers are smart but not that smart. It's marketing that can sell a $10k plastic bike not engineering.

I see no reason for being hyper-critical. Engineers press on improvements. Seems they may be succeeding. One of the co-makers in the eBike@Technocopia.org workshop lives on the third floor, no elevator, and is reluctant because of the necessity of lugging an eBike up three flights of stairs. Lot's of people in that situation. Lightweight, foldable and enough power & juice to work as an eBike seems worth the R&D & marketing push.

Hi Modbikemax,

This electric bike company seems to be in your own backyard. Are their sales claims real or is the market dead in Australia for electric folding bikes?

http://dillenger.com.au/shop/electric-bikes/cheetah-folding-electric-bike/

Modbikemax said:
I don't see the fascination with folders. With the thousands of bikes i see every week I barley ever see a folder. Putting a motor on it is not going to make it any more popular. I suppose they fold up neatly to live in your cupboard never to be used.

Where I live, folding bikes are for leaving in the trunk of your car all the time, like the weird jack handle you're not quite sure how to attach. That's why you don't see them. :D

As I see it-- and I've gotten to check out a lot of different folders by servicing them-- there are only two good reasons to own a folding bike:

1) you live in a severely confined space (e.g. camper van, sailboat, closet), or
2) you live somewhere with a good transit system that doesn't allow full-sized bikes aboard.

The few folders I see ridden more than a little bit are the ones with full-sized wheels (Fuji, Montague)-- and while they do get ridden, they don't often get folded. But if I really needed a folding bike for myself, and if I were a normal sized person, I'd start with the Swift Folder as a basis. This Jive Bike thing looks like it would be very floppy and creaky.

arkmundi said:
Its all just way to early to heap on criticism. Optimism first for anything promising and criticism on the basis of actual real world test data or experience.

That would be great but at the moment it looks like a bunch of Artist impressions drawn on a computer.
Better known as Vapourware.
The whole thing looks a bit suspect to me. I suppose if they can find enough suckers to invest in it they will actually build one.
Here is a similar thing I saw on the weekend in the flesh in a shop. Price tag A$4990.

http://www.gocycleaustralia.com.au/store/?gclid=CJOY3OiV6b8CFUiVvQoduIsAEw#

There was one of these and 20 other ebike non folders in the shop for $1890 each.

Back