JP spot welder

quote:
I haven't decided if I'm going to use the black plastic battery holders or use nickel strip. Using the plastic holders means that I can only go 5 cells wide. But not using the holders means I can go 6 wide. I have both options.'
For my first battery I think that I'll go with the black plastic holders. It will be easier and safer. I've been reading Matts battery building page and it's very well done.
I'll put a thread together for battery building and document some of the issues that I have along the way.[/quote]

I have just been through this delimma, to use cell holders or not. If you need all the space for a huge pack, no spacers is good, but it has to be done right, and
a jp welder will help make this possible.

If you dont need to fill the space completely and 5 wide is enough, the spacers are a solid option.
(edit)i ended up with 6 wide, 22s12p 30Q :wink:

Rodney go for samsung 30q cells, they are like 25r in performance but 3Ah. This way can use holders and without loosing capacitY
Sorry for offrop.

I did not get a response …am I on the list as well …and when do you project to have some more of these?

marty said:
All you people who want to be on the list should send riba2233 money. Perhaps if he had more money to buy food?, he could build spot welders faster?

or perhaps a large shipment of coffee :lol:

I would also be happy to pay up front to help buy materials, please just say.

JP, Is it OK to leave the welder hooked up while the battery is being charged?

Also, the tips for solder irons someone suggested have steel tips. I was under the impression using copper or copper alloys was important.

The ebay tip mentioned id like several I have. All hang by magnets i my shop. Picture attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.54.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.54.19 PM.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 2,572
riba2233 said:
18650dude said:
My tips are wearing down too. Bought these as an experiment:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181759526820?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Will let everyone know what happens.

That looks interesting, I was searching online for tips like that and couldn't find anything, but never thought of solder iron tip, nice find! Just make sure that the side surface is conductive, but it should be. And please tell us how does it work :)
Also, 1 mm tip is maybe too narrow (it will work for thinner nickel), I don't know if they have ~2 mm wide tip.
These are the tips I have and was referencing.

riba2233 said:
Oh sorry, I didn't get it at first. So you are saying that linked tips have copper body and steel point? Did I get that right? :)
Yes. The eBay link is "iron tip". Good cheap solder iron tips. I have two more coming and will confirm id need be, but the eBay link is clearly some sort of steel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 5.08.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 5.08.15 PM.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,431
Im hoping to spotweld ni coated copper, 0.1mm-0.16mm thickness.
from some research it seems tungsten or molybdenm tips are best fro this. with copper welding, because its so conductive, you can not rely on the materials resistance to create the heat to make the weld, when the current passes through it. instead the TIPS of the electrodes provide the heat. so i think the high temp resistent tungston is a little less conductive so heats at the tip(the rest of the electrode is copper) and the electrode tips will last a lot longer also, as tungston has such a high melting point.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7795747_spot-weld-copper.html

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSM-NZn4l4V_eaC5dS6ddR_Se9n_L4yWjxO3AuWZ8sfNRAFJrl1

Joe_Kisonhew said:
My spot welder finally arrived and so well packaged that even Canada Customs agents couldn't break it :lol: !

No cells to work with yet, but it is very well built, I'm proud to have it in my tool box. Thank you

Lol that's nice to hear :) If you don't have cells you can try welding two nickel tapes together, or you can weld on old AA battery.

Back