JP spot welder

Finally I received my DIY kit and I can say it works perfectly with the capacitor bank capacitive my old welder.
The charging time of the capacitors has decreased considerably, this is because the welder JP fails to discharge capacitors completely as did the thyristors of my former welder when welding in a few ms.
The time between welds is just over a second.
I am very satisfied, thank Jakob.
DSC_2231 (Copiar).JPG
A greeting.
Jim.

Got it. Thanks.

JP notice you have no picture of your spot welder on page 1. Please use my picture if you like. I am a amateur photographer. Original picture is 4128x3096 pixels. Could email if you like.
jp_spot_welder.jpg

@tomjasz: yeah, those sea organs are one of most interesting places in Coratia. I still haven't seen them lol :oops: But I've been in Zadar.

@jimwebo: OMG that looks crazy :shock: I'm glad that someone tried capacitors. On how many volts do you charge them?

@marty: thank you a lot, I'm sure as hell going to use that picture :)

jimwebo said:
Finally I received my DIY kit and I can say it works perfectly with the capacitor bank capacitive my old welder.
The charging time of the capacitors has decreased considerably, this is because the welder JP fails to discharge capacitors completely as did the thyristors of my former welder when welding in a few ms.
The time between welds is just over a second.
I am very satisfied, thank Jakob.

A greeting.
Jim.
im keen to try the capacitor option too.
what total value have you got there and where did you source them ,price?

I'm on the list for one of the welders. I have a battery made of 240 US18650V Sony cells. They are in three 4S20P modules. If I was to parallel these modules I would have a 14.8V nominal 90Ah battery capable of 5C constant discharge. Would that be sufficient to weld with the JP spot welder?

mistercrash said:
I'm on the list for one of the welders. I have a battery made of 240 US18650V Sony cells. They are in three 4S20P modules. If I was to parallel these modules I would have a 14.8V nominal 90Ah battery capable of 5C constant discharge. Would that be sufficient to weld with the JP spot welder?

I would say yes, but don't use 4S, that's too much, just tap into 3S.

Kepler said:
Yet another JP spot welder build :mrgreen: 13S6P 8)

Built this one for rockyraccoon. He will add his own BMS.

Here is the cell layout for anyone interested.
Thanks Kepler! Adding layouts is ever so generous! Good on you. AGAIN!

Kepler said:
Yet another JP spot welder build :mrgreen: 13S6P 8)

Built this one for rockyraccoon. He will add his own BMS.
Isn't it a problem that all the juice from the pack has to go through that bottleneck, that I highlighted?

How thick is the nickel you're using?

Sorry, thought it would be pretty obvious that you would put a double layer of nickel though a section like that. Effectively there is at least two nickel links between each parallel groups. In the case of the that upper section of pack, the 2 links are on top of each other effectively providing .30mm of nickel through this section. No bottle necks in this design. :)

Kepler said:
Sorry, thought it would be pretty obvious that you would put a double layer of nickel though a section like that. Effectively there is at least two nickel links between each parallel groups. In the case of the that upper section of pack, the 2 links are on top of each other effectively providing .30mm of nickel through this section. No bottle necks in this design. :)
Are there any other "bottle necks" besides the one highlighted? I haven't learned enough to understand them.

Thanks,

Tom

There is online battery modeler (free, simple and sophisticated) somewhere, I forgot to bookmark. :( I think it was linked by one of the Russian guys. If someone can link it again please.

I'm about to buy the battery for the spot welder.

I'd also like to be able to spot weld 1mm aluminium or steel sheet.

Is this battery enough for that?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251410202004

Back