JP spot welder

IF possible, I too would also like to be added onto the list. I've been wanting a battery tab spot welder for years, never trusted those Ebay units so seeing all the positive comments on here over this one has me a bit excited!!!

18650dude said:
These welders are so good. I don't think anyone who own one will want to sell. Made a battery pack a month ago and it working perfectly with no issues.
The only way I'd sell is at a profit and knowing I'd have another on order. I keep bleating the same message. There are so many advantages over the crappy Chinese versions and none of the uncertainty. A bad PCB in the china versions is a $90 replacement part and a moderately complex fix. Beyond average skills. Replacement pens are $75 and replacement copper tips $30. Welding sticks for the spring loaded welder are also expensive. Then there's the ultra cheap add on solder station or ridiculously low power charger version. All with poor support. Overtime I look at the useless pile of parts on my bench I just cringe and then smile knowing I have a great alternative from a friend of ES. One of US has a small sideline business making our lives easier.

destro23 said:
Riba, hope i'm still on your list somewhere!

thanks for the hard work!

Sure you are :) And thanks!

fortisi876 said:
IF possible, I too would also like to be added onto the list. I've been wanting a battery tab spot welder for years, never trusted those Ebay units so seeing all the positive comments on here over this one has me a bit excited!!!

No problem, you're on!

@tomjasz: thanks, your words are really motivating :D

tomjasz said:
18650dude said:
These welders are so good. I don't think anyone who own one will want to sell. Made a battery pack a month ago and it working perfectly with no issues.
The only way I'd sell is at a profit and knowing I'd have another on order. I keep bleating the same message. There are so many advantages over the crappy Chinese versions and none of the uncertainty. A bad PCB in the china versions is a $90 replacement part and a moderately complex fix. Beyond average skills. Replacement pens are $75 and replacement copper tips $30. Welding sticks for the spring loaded welder are also expensive. Then there's the ultra cheap add on solder station or ridiculously low power charger version. All with poor support. Overtime I look at the useless pile of parts on my bench I just cringe and then smile knowing I have a great alternative from a friend of ES. One of US has a small sideline business making our lives easier.

I agree with tomjasz. I might have to order a kit just for backup. Question for Jakov, if I accidentally shorted the welding tips together while making a weld will the MOSFETs blow?

Thanks Riba

Standard kit, like before - includes assembled welder, electrodes, and footswtich - 160 USD
DIY kit - includes welder in parts for hand soldering, assembled electrodes, and a footswitch that needs to have a wire soldered on - 120 USD

If someone want's to buy separate parts:

Assembled welder only - 100 USD
Electrodes only - 50 USD
Footswitch only - 10 USD
DIY welder only - 70 USD
PCB only (includes programmed microcontroller) - 40 USD

Im a little confused. If I buy Assembled welder only for $100usd, I still need electrodes, and switch?
DIY welder is just the parts with the PCB included?
And the PCB is no parts, just PCB with a list of parts needed?
Another question, for DIY, are these basic through hole components. If so, resistors, diodes are easy if through hole. How many IC chips are there? Its a little more technical soldering as the joints are a little more close together, needed perhaps a finer tip. Perhaps a picture of the board would ease my concerns.

Thanks.

markz said:
Thanks Riba

Im a little confused. If I buy Assembled welder only for $100usd, I still need electrodes, and switch?

Yeah, that's right!

DIY welder is just the parts with the PCB included?
And the PCB is no parts, just PCB with a list of parts needed?

Correct! :) With only PCB you also get a programmed microcontroller.

Another question, for DIY, are these basic through hole components. If so, resistors, diodes are easy if through hole. How many IC chips are there? Its a little more technical soldering as the joints are a little more close together, needed perhaps a finer tip. Perhaps a picture of the board would ease my concerns.

Thanks.

Yeah, there are just regular basic through hole components, easy to solder. Smallest spacing is standard 2.54 mm (0.1 inch), so it really shouldn't be a problem to solder, with most standard equipment. There are two IC's in dip8 package, really easy.

I will post a picture as soon as I get the final PCB's!

I'll definitely have to go for one of the kits. I was going to build my own analog design, but the time it takes to layout everything and build is not worth it.

I'm glad you can offer the kits and parts. Less assembly time for you too.

clockwork247 said:
can someone recommend a battery in the us for this welder?
please add your location to your profile. it's easier to make a recommendation if we know where in the world you are.

Regarding batteries in the USA. I've been looking the Advance Auto Parts (AAP) model 93-1. Looks real nice with an integrated handle and flaps/doors to cover the terminals when not in use. Its $143 in my location, but AAP usually has 30% off coupons if you buy via the website, which brings the price to $100. I still don't really want to spend that much, so I'm also looking on Craigslist for a clean/cheap used battery that might work.

AAP Battery part# 93-1
Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 49
Cold Cranking Amps: 825 amps
Cranking Amps: 1000 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting: Starting
Height: 7 1/2 in
Length: 14 5/16 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Reserve Capacity: 150 min
Terminal Type: Top Terminal
Voltage: 12 v
Weight: 43 lbs
Width: 6 7/8 in

Junk yards are your best bet. Find one that looks fairly clean, and they sell them for around $20 and is a hit or miss kind of item so you have to show up to the junk yard every day, maybe twice a day depending on the size of the operation of the junk yard. Where I am at we have a nation-wide chain called Pick-N-Pull, huge yards, probably 1000 or more cars that usually sit for a few weeks to a couple months. Jeeps go quick and other popular vehicles. You could also just cruise down alley-ways or back of repair shops and find scrapped batteries for free. I will be doing that method, or just using my a123 or 18650 batteries with appropriate discharge rating. I wouldnt bother buying $100 new battery, dont waste your money. Go to Kijiji or Craigslist for a last ditch effort to find a used battery. Perhaps $40 from those places.

Gotcha... so is it safe to say, a standard car battery from a junkyard would work fine... just need to dial in the pot (ms) to get a good weld without burn-through or blackening? The higher amperage (increase pot value, lengthened ms) is to get good penetration on thicker material? Basically, it is trial/error to find the sweet spot with what you are welding?

On the DC supply, is the board voltage regulated... so either a 2.1mm 5V/5amp or 2.1mm 12V/10amp DC supply would be fine?

Thanks again

Please add me to the list for a complete kit as well. Any idea on when it will be available to ship?

would this work?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38243769?u1=fcb2acd6780e11e59865ce6500428ba90002&oid=289955.1&wmlspartner=lw9MynSeamY&sourceid=13889064272363451782&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

I rather get that than dealing with a junk yard. Multi use :).

Back