KMX Cobra

aha.. that's what i thought.. i got short legs..

Tried various objects of roughly the right size while sitting on the rig and getting on and off the trike ( the proper way, without flipping ) would be troublesome with the boxes in front.

below the seat is an option but that puts volatile lipo way too close to road surfaces that i'm not comfortable with. so behind the seat so far is my best option. .. good enough for riding anything but donuts so all things considered.. it's fine for now.

When the tire gets here, i'm opening the side cover, drilling holes, installing the thermometer, there is play/slop in the bearing races that i need to deal with ( motor works fine, but i want to eliminate that wiggle ) .. will also upgrade phase wires at that time.

I'm still running PP45's between the motor and controller lol...

you can win additional few centimeters by getting short crankarms, im running 140mm, good for knees and improves the clearance.

i managed to put 44.4v30ah nominal of LIPOs in front and planning to put 2x 22v30ah on both side of the rear chainstays for 100v :mrgreen:

my regen is setup for EBS=2 and i managed to lock the tire when regen braking at high speeds on my 75v setup [20'' 5403, max speed 63kmh]

100v 13ah is enough for me, if i need more range than this i'll bring along a high power bulk charger.. ( scrounging for laptop supplies ... )

Daaamn you ..ebay... .. orderd 4 of these Vee 3" tires, a set for the A2B and one for the rear on the cobra ( or 3 on the trike and one on the rear of the a2b not sure yet ) .. made the mistake of asking if the guy has tubes on hand.. got reply next day that he could get them , extra 26$ for four tubes, fine.. paypal that.. then i get an email asking for 10$ more for additional shipping.. geeez..

Wow, very impressive. If you want an even more comfy seat, try replacing the foam pad with something 0.5" thicker (don't go 1", it won't fit well). It'll feel like a couch and your butt will love you for it. Congrats on the setup. Looks like tons of fun.

Was a fun day for the KMX..

A younger guy i met last year, rides one of those Gio scooters 48v 20 amp SLA setup.. he drops in once in a while with a question or 2, he was by today asking about how to replace his SLA pack as it's near it's end ...

I blew his mind showing him a pair 24v 4.5ah Nanotech packs that equal the capacity of his 48v lead chinese bricks !!.. 40 lbs vs 4 lbs. :D

So i showed him the trike and offered a test ride, he had his helmet on so snapped the 3 speed switch in mode 1 and got on to show him brakes, throttle and general operation.. sent him on his way...

He went around the block and came back with " Wow !!.. this is fun !!!! and powerfull ! " ..

so i flipped it to switch position no.2.. sent him off again and wanred him to slow down for turns... he's a good pilot and i could tell he was getting the hang of it .. so signaled him in for no.3 and made sure he had a straight path ahead of him.. and say " Giv'er ! " .. :twisted:

After 10 minutes of him blasting around the block with a shit eating grin perma-fixed to his face i had to flag him to come back so i could check the motor temp.. was showing 60 celcius at the cover.... :lol:

Yeah.. he liked it..... going home to his Gio is going to suck... :mrgreen:

==

Then, neighbors had family from the US down on vacation, so i sent him off on a test run, got him on no.3 but he barely broke 30kph before chickening out lol... i took the controls to show him how it works with a heavy thumb !

Ypedal said:
Yeah.. he liked it..... going home to his Gio is going to suck... :mrgreen:

==

I laughed out loud at the above story Gaston!

My Catrike 700 with Bionx goes about 38kph on flats and 52kph down hill. At higher speeds I really need to minimize steering input.

Is the steering twitchy at higher speeds on the KMX?

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

We went to Canada Day bike ride today:'

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41323

Amd saw a few bikes out there towing kids and one with a dog...... so this afternoon....

schwinn-trailer.JPG

took about 20 minutes to built, ( would have taken 5 if the damn thing did not have the vinyl panel wedged into the frame, required i un-bolt half the frame to get it un-stuck.. but i got it.

View attachment 2

It was on the shelf for 250$, on sale last week and the guy gave me a rain check to discount 50$... so i got it for 200$..

View attachment 1

Makes for a Looooong machine !

Attachments

• schwinn-trailer3.JPG
    schwinn-trailer3.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 4,124
I installed the mounting bracket onto the disk brake mount.. solid..

I managed to get Sandy in there, put her harness on, and tied a leather leash to the frame, she wanted to jump out, like.... reallly wanted to jump out.. but i managed to get a 10 minute ride ( slowly ) around the yard... will repeat tomorrow .. etc until she is comfortable and then venture out.. if she can get to like this, it will be awseome to bring her along for rides !

Attachments

• schwinn-trailer4.JPG
    schwinn-trailer4.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 4,124
and if you want to go for a REALLLY long ride, you can pack that trailer full of lipo! wadda ya recon? 10kwh? 15? :twisted:

Trailer looks like a good idea.

Now that I swapped the Nexus for the NuVinci I can't use the BOB trailer and I miss being able to run down to the grocery store for bulkier items. I think a two wheel trailer with the one side hitch will solve the problem.

I've seen some two kid ones at Wal-Mart for about $100, and some that are just for utility use for less than that.

So the BOB trailer just becomes one more thing to give away or sell. :D

Awesome! Looks like fun. That's a humane way to bring the dog along. Much better than strapping him to the trike like I've seen others do.

Absolutely awsome, the " Hey , Sandy, you wanna go for a bike ride ?" reaction is getting better every day..

I can finally take her to the bike park, my neighbor's dog is too shy, he just sits there and does nothing while my dog is going ape shit humping everything insight while foaming at the mouth.... she's an animal alright..

Ypedal said:
Absolutely awsome, the " Hey , Sandy, you wanna go for a bike ride ?" reaction is getting better every day..

I can finally take her to the bike park, my neighbor's dog is too shy, he just sits there and does nothing while my dog is going ape shit humping everything insight while foaming at the mouth.... she's an animal alright..

well they do say dogs are like their owners....

looks great mate. Though I imagine the shape of that trailer does wonders for your efficiency (aerodynamics)?

Amazing Idea Gaston. You have a top dog there. its like the a complete Eskimo role reversal.

Cool video with Sandy!

Gaston..... I'm in Italy! Gas Scooters everywhere but NO electric bicycles. I thought I would see lots of electrics bicycles here in Rome, Florence.

:(

Tommy L sends....

@Ypedal: I wish mine would ride in just that shroud for the trailer, but I gotta put them in a kennel/crate with the gate closed to take them anywhere, in case they get all excited about something they see, so they don't run off after it. :roll:

And if you think your setup is long...did you see the pics of Crazybike2 with my flatbed trailer based off one like yours? Loooonggbike is Loooong. :p

Rassy said:
So the BOB trailer just becomes one more thing to give away or sell. :D
Why not just add "little tabs" from the NV axle sticking out to the back that have their own "axle stubs" on them for the BOB to connect to?

You just need two stiff pieces of metal, probably steel about as thick as your dropouts, doesnt have to be very long--just long enough to clear the actual dropouts, if even that. One end gets a hole in it just big enough for the NV axle, you put it on the axle between the dropout and the washers/nuts. Other end gets a hole just big enough for a bolt (or cut-off piece of an old rear hub axle) that will fit the BOB nuts. If you use a bolt, the BOB nuts will secure it to the plate. If you use an axle piece, you can use a regular wheel nut on the backside and the BOB nut on the outside.

Does that make any sense? Or maybe I'm misunderstanding why you can't use the BOB with the NV?

Why not just add "little tabs" from the NV axle sticking out to the back that have their own "axle stubs" on them for the BOB to connect to?

Thanks AW. I thought about doing something like that, and it would be possible, but both sides are very crowded now with the NuVinci actuator on the right side and the NuVinci speed pick-up and a disk brake on the right side. I attached the disk brake to an extension just like you described.

Anyway, I've resolved the BOB trailer issue and it will probably be a Canadian resident before long. I've already ordered a little two wheel cargo trailer to replace it.

PM to follow in a few days YPedal.

I just got back from a 45 minute ride with Sandy in the trailer, she loves it !!!! 8)

Followed a roadie for a few kms, he was pedaling for all he was worth down hill going maybe 40 kph, i could easily keep up on speed setting no.2, .. i was going to pass him just for the hell of it.. but not confident in those trailer axles to take high speeds for too long.. and i love my dog way too much to risk her safety .

Got my new Vee tires today !!!!!! :eek: ,..

We all know what that means ! :twisted:

Ypedal said:
We all know what that means ! :twisted:

Any burn-out video yet?

Tommy L sends.... \\m//

heh heh... yeah.. burnout on the way... ( if there is anything left of that poor hookworm by the time i do it ) .. it's a series of events.. i want to open the motor, drill air cooling holes.. replace phase wires for thicker stuff.. add the doctorbass torque arms ( got the arms, and the DP420 already ) .. so i dont want to burn the tire off until i'm ready and have time to do all those things in one day.

On a side note, the trike is performing like a champ, putting smiles on test riders faces that you could not wipe off with a 10 lb hammer... just so much fun.. and Sandy LOVES the thing.. i cant say ' bike ride ' out loud in the house without starting a barking event..

hang tight.. this weekend should be the one.

Back