la Nina rears her ugly head

106F here today, it is supposed to be 20 degrees cooler tomorrow. Already a sea breeze tonight feels great. Smoke from the fire in San Gabriel Canyon looked like a mushroom cloud this afternoon creating unhealthful air combined with the smoke from the fire in Goleta. :x

117F officially for a high.

But it was over 135F on the trike's thermometer in the direct sun, and while sitting in the middle of a bunch of cars at the last traffic light on the way to work it crept right up to nearly 140F. I felt a little dizzy and probably wouldn't have been able to sit there any longer when the light finally changed.

I'd wet my shirt and hat to dripping (with my pants pretty wet at the top and damp below), along with the wet towel (tucked into my hat) covering my shoulders and back and neck, and all but part of the hat and towel where they were tucked together were almost completely dry by the time I got to work, only 8 minutes and some seconds riding time, maybe 11 minutes total time. If I hadn't had all that, I probably would've passed out at the light or possibly before that.

Right now, it's still 101F out there, and cloudy, with gusty winds from 10-20MPH (sometimes bursts higher than that), and is already 11pm.

FWIW, apparently yesterday some "personal trainer / hiker" went out to hike one of our little "mountains", in the heat, presumably knowing how hot it was already and was going to get, but took no water, and was found in critical condition, dying at the hospital a bit later. :(

Darwin effect. Bet those fools dying in Phoenix thought it would only be 117 where they were. South side of those mountains, in a canyon, it would easily be 120 to 140. You only last a few min in 140 F. I've done some hard days work in those temps, no shit. Inside glass wall buildings, or bottom of a stadium.

Wet shirt trick, run in, do some work, run out as soon as the shirt dries. Almost like those guys shoveling in Chernobyl. 5 min, you are done. Then shade, water, recover, do it again.

Popsicle vest works good too, you might try that AW. Those otter pop things you freeze yourself, the tubes of kool aid. Stuff about 8 of those in your shirt.
The professional version has pockets sewn into the vest, then they take skinny cold packs you freeze.

Only hitting 103 here so far. Won't be surprised to see 110 this week, but looks like the real heat is more west.

dogman dan said:
South side of those mountains, in a canyon, it would easily be 120 to 140. You only last a few min in 140 F.
Yeah, that's what it was approaching sitting at the traffic light yesterday. Might actually have been above that, since the little thermometer I have on there is a couple degrees or so low in it's dial reading (is off more as it gets hotter).

No canyons, per se, in the mountains here in the city. At least none I've seen. But with bare rock and dirt around rather than vegetation, it doesnt' take long to get beyond survivable.

People pass out waiting for buses in this weather, and that's in the shade under the stops' awnings. :(

At least it's breezy so far on all these hot days. The ones where the wind dies completely are much worse.

Popsicle vest works good too, you might try that AW. Those otter pop things you freeze yourself, the tubes of kool aid. Stuff about 8 of those in your shirt.

I've tried the gel-ice packs I have, and while they make some difference the wet hat/towel/shirt works much better for short runs like my commute. Over longer runs the ice packs work longer, and as they melt they make better contact and work better but then they lose their cool more quickly and last less time. In combination with the wet shirt they work pretty well, if they're inside the shirt.

So far it's cooler today than yesterday. Just broke 100F maybe 20 minutes ago? (930am), is 101F now. Supposed to get 111F today, so several degrees cooler than yesterday. If it hadn't been cloudy much of last night it might be even cooler.

While the humidity seems to be up the temp is only 84 and it's almost noon, so I'd guess we're doing better. I have to learn to get the DEWPOINT instead of the humidity because the humidity changes with the temperature and the dewpoint doesn't. It says the dewpoint is 64, so that's wet air.

~40F degree drop in the high temps along the coast. Phew! :oops: Patchy fog; at least I know what that is. :pancake:
This Afternoon
Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Southwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Tonight
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 63. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 73. South wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Thursday Night
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 62. South wind 5 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Friday
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 73. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Friday Night
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 62.

Saturday
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 77.

Saturday Night
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 62.

Sunday
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 77.

Sunday Night
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 62.

Monday
Patchy fog. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 78.

Monday Night
Patchy fog. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 63.

Tuesday
Patchy fog. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 79.

Today it was supposed to be cooler, down to 109 or 110F, but it was about 115-116F. Was also supposed to be mostly clear and sunny, with a little breeze, but we got clouds surrounding hte valley (but not over it) starting from before midday building up into a big dust storm in the late afternoon/evening. Looked like it was going to rain but I guess it was too hot.

Forecast for next several days:

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 84. South southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 109. Light and variable wind becoming west southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Friday Night
Clear, with a low around 84. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 109. Light and variable wind becoming west southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 84. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Sunday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 112. Light south southwest wind becoming west southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 85. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Monday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 112. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Monday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 87. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming east northeast after midnight.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 110. East wind around 5 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 87. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Wednesday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 108. Light and variable wind becoming west southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 87. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light south southwest after midnight.
Thursday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 107. Light south southwest wind becoming west southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.

Chance of rain is increasing...slightly. But it's unlikely we'll see any in my part of the city; just in the outlying areas.

Tonight
Partly cloudy, with a low around 84. Southwest wind around 5 mph.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 109. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 84. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Monday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 111. East southeast wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Monday Night
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 86. West wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
Tuesday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 110. East southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Tuesday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 86. East southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north northeast after midnight.
Wednesday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 109. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before midnight. Partly cloudy, with a low around 86. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
Thursday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after noon. Mostly sunny, with a high near 106. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Thursday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 86. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southeast after midnight.
Friday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 106. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Friday Night
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 86. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Saturday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 106. Light and variable wind becoming west northwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.

It definitely rained today...just not here in my part of the city. It did almost sprinkle a few minutes ago, wiht just enough thunder to terrify Yogi (Teddy does not seem to have even noticed it). I went outside to swap the charger from traction pack to lighting pack and I could feel a few molecules of water droplets here and there on my skin, one every 20-30 seconds or so as I walked slowly around the yard on the way there and back.

But some areas on the edges of the valley got "significant" rain, though I'd venture that most places if they got any at all was just droplets like mine.

The temperature was higher than expectted; supposed to be around 108F ended up almost 113F. (felt hotter around midday when I went to work, and just before). Had been cloudy all morning until right when I needed to finish up the welding on the SB Cruiser's cargo rack supports. :/

Looking more and more like actual rain in a couple days.

Tonight
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 87. North wind around 5 mph.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 109. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming east southeast in the afternoon.
Tuesday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 88. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Wednesday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 106. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.
Wednesday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 86. East southeast wind around 5 mph becoming north after midnight.
Thursday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 105. North wind around 5 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Thursday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 84. West wind around 5 mph.
Friday
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 102. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Friday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 83. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight.
Saturday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 104. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 84. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 105. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 84. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Independence Day
Sunny, with a high near 107. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Again their "109F" turned out ot be 113F. :/

Still no rain here, though the heat allowed one of my Y-connectors on the backyard faucet to burst it's plastic thread-on section, and gushed full-blast for long enough to flood the side yard and the main mulberry tree area, along with half of the sheds' area, so I'd guess that it was at least an hour or two, maybe more. (no way to know).

I guess at least the tree did need a good thorough watering, and the sideyard can use it too, but that's gonna be a really huge hit on my water bill. :(

We got a bit over half an inch of rain tonight (in about half an hour), starting literally as I pulled into the driveway to unlock the gate, just sprinkles until just after I got into the garage/shed, and Yogi and Teddy joined me out there, with Yogi trying to climb up onto me on the seat cuz the thunder and lightning were terrifying him. Teddy didn't care about any of it, just wanted to be there cuz I was.

It's still drizzling a bit, down to sprinkles and back to drizzle now and then. You wouldn't know it hit 110F today.

I have the pump in the road-puddle sucking up thousands of gallons of free water into the front yard right now, to thoroughly water all the trees, lantana, and pumpkins, cantaloupe, and spaghetti squash.

Yogi's still hiding on the bed with me even though the thunder's been over for quite a while now.

Looks like for us it could be the coolest Independence Day I can remember. 8) Except for the noise and the smoke. :twisted: From the National Weather Service doing the Niño/Niña flip-flop:
Today
Mostly sunny, with a high near 74. Southwest wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Tonight
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Friday
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 72. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

Friday Night
Increasing clouds, with a low around 63. South wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Saturday
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 71. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.

Saturday Night
Increasing clouds, with a low around 62.

Sunday
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 71.

Sunday Night
Increasing clouds, with a low around 61.

Independence Day
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 70.

Monday Night
Increasing clouds, with a low around 62.

Tuesday
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 73.

Tuesday Night
Increasing clouds, with a low around 63.

Wednesday
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 72.

Still good and cloudy today, hasn't brokne even 90F yet, probably won't break 100F at hottest, though it feels like it has because of the humidity. Good for the plants/yard, though, which is still mushy from last night's rain.

Probably gonna rain again today from the feel and look of it, though I don't know when.

Unfortunately it will be nice and clear and still air for the fireworks, which means Yogi will be terrified on Monday, probably all the way thru the night until Tuesday or later, becuase kids will have lots of bang-bang stuff too and set them off at all hours. :(

Today
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 100. Light and variable wind becoming south 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Tonight
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 82. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east northeast after midnight.
Friday
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 97. East wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Friday Night
A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 81. South southwest wind around 5 mph becoming east after midnight.
Saturday
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 102. East southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Saturday Night
A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 83. West southwest wind around 5 mph becoming north northwest after midnight.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 105. Calm wind becoming west southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 84. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Independence Day
Sunny, with a high near 108. Light and variable wind becoming west southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 84. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 108. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 84. West southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south after midnight.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 106. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.

Monsoon is on in AZ. Kinda missing us now. No rain at my house, but a few miles away a good storm made a good picture.20160628_165046.jpg

105 in my yard yesterday, and no real rain forecast for the next two weeks.

Now it's starting to look like a fizzled monsoon, the La Nina pattern.

The fingers said:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?epac :twisted
NWS up top also has silhouettes for sale, guess the little girl has to raise money to get those storms to move north. :lol:

No storms up here, but pretty coolish. Our hammock is looking lonely in the rain. Kiwis grew so fast with all the early heat and sun this spring they're almost full sized. Now I don't know if they'll ripen in August, go bad from the wet or keep growing until they're huge in October.

Lonely hammock.JPG

Back