la Nina rears her ugly head

The monsoonal moisture made its way up here and I could see where a couple of drops hit my car windshield and made clean spots in the dust. Not enough to wet the ground. Near 100F tomorrow. Last measurable rain here was about 5 months ago. At least the fire smoke hasn't been too bad this year.

Several days of dangerous air quality from fires in Canada affecting SE Minnesota.
I had to stay indoors for two days. Noting the California folks have it FAR worse. Crazy times!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 12.21.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-15 at 12.21.07 PM.png
    179.4 KB · Views: 675
You can see exactly where the fires are on the band 7 IR satellite image. Some of the smoke has been making it my way, but not too bad like last year.

IR band 7 Aug 17.JPG

We really need some rain. Still sitting at 10.5" for the season.

Time to start building a home desalinization unit. The ocean is not far away.

fechter said:
We really need some rain. Still sitting at 10.5" for the season.

Time to start building a home desalinization unit. The ocean is not far away.

That seems to be in the future for Southern CA. Santa Barbara built one two droughts ago then mothballed it. After the last drought they brought it back to life and now share the water with Montecito (who can well afford it).

Was some drops in the area today but I didn’t see any.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=sgx&issuedby=SGX&product=RRM

Detailed Forecast
Tonight
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 72. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Monday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 99. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 67. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Tuesday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 91. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 64. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 90.
Wednesday Night
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 61.
Thursday
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 90.
Thursday Night
Clear, with a low around 62.
Friday
Sunny, with a high near 93.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 64.
Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 94.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 65.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 96.

La Niña Rain Gage
Nothin'/Skunked-Foggy Doggy-Play Misty-Drizzle Corn-Light Showers-Steady Soaker-Bands/Sheets-Cats & Dogs
******************************************************************** :)

I got some actual rain here last night. Barely enough to wet the ground and not enough to register in the rain gauge. I hope lightning didn't start any more fires. Still, the first rain since April.

Thursday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 93.
Thursday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 64.
Friday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90.
Friday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 64.
Saturday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 88.
Saturday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 61.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 88.

Technically, tomorrow is the first day of fall, tomorrow being September 22, 2021.
I heard some talking head on the radio state that fact.
Some random website
The first day of fall can change, but the window of possible dates is quite small. Most years, you can expect it to occur on September 22 or 23. But every now and then it could happen on September 21 or 24. However, the last time we had a September 21 fall equinox was over a thousand years ago! And don't expect another September 24 date until 2303.

Detailed Forecast
This Afternoon
Sunny, with a high near 102. West wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Tonight
Mostly clear, with a low around 67. North wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
Thursday
Widespread haze after 2pm. Sunny, with a high near 95. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Thursday Night
Widespread haze before 8pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 63. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 92. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Friday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 62.
Saturday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 90. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 61.
Sunday
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 59.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 86.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 58.
Tuesday
Tuesday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 56.
Wednesday

Great cloud of dense smoke heading down from fires in Sequoia from the daylight satellite view.
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G17&sector=psw&band=GEOCOLOR&length=24

Back