• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

LightningRods mid drive kit

Nice!

And while I'm sure there are some out there who want their kit NOW, improvements like these tend to stoke the patience in me. Take your time on mine!

Yea, but how do you actually bolt them? There's nothing for an Allen or screwdriver to hold on to?

the carriage bolts have "flats" a square interface under the button head that lock it in the adjustment slot..
the other end is where the tightening tool will be used..

emaayan said:
Yea, but how do you actually bolt them? There's nothing for an Allen or screwdriver to hold on to?

emaayan said:

Remember the photo of the carriage bolt from a few pages back?

8935.JPG

That square shoulder goes down into the adjuster slot and keeps the bolt from turning when you tighten the nylock nut on the other end. This has been bugging me since I sent the first lower sheets out over a year ago. I'm pretty pleased with these sheets now.

brixmitch said:
Nice!

And while I'm sure there are some out there who want their kit NOW, improvements like these tend to stoke the patience in me. Take your time on mine!

Thanks! This process will never end for me. I'm constantly eyeballing every aspect of the things I make, trying to figure out how to make them better.

thanks for the detailed response. I've got the modified oset i'm running with 219 chain and single gearing so i'm lanning on running 7gears in the rear on this kit (so i can share teh 44.4v 2000mAH pack I alread have). I'll soon figure out what size front i'll be able to use on my nomad.

Stonezone is going to be building up an '09-'10 Santa Cruz Nomad.

dsc3299a.jpg

These model years of Nomads are better for mid drive than the new ones. The 2014 and '15 Nomads have the curved front downtube that requires a stretch bracket.

A lot of the Santa Cruz bikes I've seen look real good for this kit. Most I've been eyeballing have a nice straight downtube like you've pictured. Their rear suspension linkages seem to be in nice convenient locations for mounting and would look to be unobtrusive.

Gotta get some kits out so we can start bombarding people's build threads with questions and take the pressure off this thread.

Hi Mike, can we please get:
1. Pictures next to individual items of the parts list on your website.
2. A set of pictures of the new kit with part name labels on it.

I could get it started if that will help, but not knowing some of the part names or where they fit in the kit is why I'm asking :)

I'm planning on re-working my top bracket and primary chain drive and want to put together your jackshaft and top bracket set, I'd prefer to sort out a as many of my own questions as I can before starting dialogue with you because I know it would take a little 2-n-fro and I don't want to distract you from the work you're doing now. I reckon you're probably spending a tonne of time answering queries anyway ;)

(warning - likely barely articulate pre-coffee early am rambling follows)
I'd love to just replace my whole kit but it would be scrapping a whole lot of very reasonable gear I already have (and, I'm not a fan of how your current bottom bracket set leaves the motor hanging down slightlyrather than horizontal as I've done with my own bottom bracket setup). Taking out the motor shaft on my motor though is likely to be difficult without buying some tools to do it so chucking that in the too-hard basket for now too and will stick with a chain primary (as i am fairly certain I can get a 25 sprocket on my motor shaft now, just have to tap the sprocket for a grub screw... I've collected the primary side sprockets and chain to go from 08 to 25). So, I will need to investigate further once I know which bits I'm likely to need to determine how to mount my driven primary onto your freewheel adapter on the upper sheets/jackshaft assembly. Then what bits I'll need to have bike chain driven secondary reduction (as half link bmx chain is lasting very well for me on the secondary so I'll stick with that rather than go to 219 - for now).

t0me said:
Hi Mike, can we please get:
2. A set of pictures of the new kit with part name labels on it.

I already posted these earlier in the thread. I should put them on my web site along with a million other things. Here they are again:

Primary_Side-labled.jpg

Secondary_Side-labled.jpg

TOme you can fit a 219 to the primary driven sprocket using the same freewheel adapter plate that I use on the BB. If you can find a 219 driver to fit your motor shaft you're in business. Alternately you can run a cheap Chinese 4 bolt freewheel on the stock GNG steel hub adapter and bolt a #25 sprocket to that. The advantage of my adapter plate is a much better quality five bolt freewheel and stronger 219 sprockets and chain.

I would like see first review of bike with this motor :)

Mike -

PLEASE list your E-mail on your site or here.
I've been to your site and the link does not
work for me to send you an E mail.
Or please check your message's here
I need one of these or

I'll have to buy a BB02 or something.
I'd rather send money to a state next to mine
Even better I'd love to hand you the $$$ and load a kit into my truck!

Johnny-

I would hate to see you buy a Bafang. My e-mail is on both of my web sites. I just tested the mail to: link and it works. Look under "Contact" on the L-R site.
http://www.lightningrodev.com/
I'd post my e-mail here but every time I post my address in a public forum my spam load increases. I get hundreds of spam a day that I have to comb through for business correspondence.
It's about $20 to ship a kit to Idaho. Your truck would probably burn at least $200 in gas making the trip. There's not much to see at LightningRods Industries- yet.

I looking for good Mid i thinking about BB02 750W or this hub or GNG motors.

tumich said:
At this point, the only reason to go GNG is if you literally want your kit in your hands in less than 7 days from today... there's a slight initial savings on the GNG but that's gone quick as you replace belts and upgrade broken parts (upgrading with LR parts anyway)

r3volved said:
tumich said:
At this point, the only reason to go GNG is if you literally want your kit in your hands in less than 7 days from today... there's a slight initial savings on the GNG but that's gone quick as you replace belts and upgrade broken parts (upgrading with LR parts anyway)

If you buy a GNG now I'll have all of the upgrade parts ready when everything starts to break. :lol:

I have everything ready to go. My machinist is bringing over a pile of jackshaft housings and shafts today. We ran into a problem in that the shafts shrank .007" when we hardened them! I keep learning lessons that I don't necessarily want to learn. We had to throw out a dozen hand made shafts because they were undersize and loose in the bearings after hardening.

I have four complete kits waiting for the jackshaft shafts.

L-R , i really think you should start using your facebook page as the platform for all the images you posted (the part callouts, individual parts),photo albums , announcements etc.. so that they won't get lost here, besides a lot of small business already use pages exclusively for commercial and marketing value, i don't mean stop using this thread, but the hightlights should be there as well.

meanwhile folks, ever since L-R posted his new images on facebook and his address here, I HAVEN'T SEEN ONE LIKE OR SHARE ON THEM! , don't make me taze ya'll :p don't forget a like or a share also means it's on YOUR page as well for your friends to see, and this is how things get viral.

btw i just saw that em3ev is making another triangle http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=180 and it's a... 75v ! wouldn't it be SUPREMELY perfect for this kit? i'm almost tempted to try it myself if i didn't have the 50.4 i have now (and mine is 22.5ah , as it stands, for my augmented ecospeed kit i'm burning 1.5ah per kilometer, so i need every ah i can get ah for a 17 km commute to work) but he has lethal shipping fee's (even he admits to it).

r3volved said:
tumich said:

So you think that BSS02 750W 8FUN is better choice than GNG? Which is more quiet and powerfull? The reason is price. Also I looking for good cheap Battery tube 48V minimum 9Ah like this

you can't compare the BB02 to this kit, the reason is watts. BB02 is 750w, this kit is 3000w. your reason is price, this kit is around 800$, BB02 is 500$ including controller, which is nice with the only problem is that it's being re-designed by the manufacturer (the controller that is according to em3ev ), so it's not something you get your hands on now either.
not to mention the quality of the parts (AND their availability, have you managed to find a good support and supplier for parts for the bb02?, did you ask who ever is offering if they have such a service?)

I have a modified GNG setup and a BBS02 750W. Two completely different animals. If you want a simple quiet low to normal speed commuter the BBS is clean and compact and has PAS built in. If you are looking for power the modified GNG style setup will take a boat load more current with the right controller running 18s or more and can put many times the power to the wheel. Mikes upgraded belt setup should make it much more quiet than mine running the 25 chain primary. If your looking for stealth the BBS, or if its power your looking for the LR (GNG inspired) kit is best running higher volts and current. I am shopping for a new controller for my GNG now. Something in the class of the 24 fet GT controller http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...oller-sensor-sensorless/313864_522263950.html but from someone that can help set me up to program it the way I want.

speedmd said:
I have a modified GNG setup and a BBS02 750W. Two completely different animals. If you want a simple quiet low to normal speed commuter the BBS is clean and compact and has PAS built in. If you are looking for power the modified GNG style setup will take a boat load more current with the right controller running 18s or more and can put many times the power to the wheel. Mikes upgraded belt setup should make it much more quiet than mine running the 25 chain primary. If your looking for stealth the BBS, or if its power your looking for the LR (GNG inspired) kit is best running higher volts and current. I am shopping for a new controller for my GNG now. Something in the class of the 24 fet GT controller http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...oller-sensor-sensorless/313864_522263950.html but from someone that can help set me up to program it the way I want.

What is a max speed on BBS02 750W without pedaling? Ofc after brake a speedlimit on 48V and the weight beetween BBS02 vs GNG?

tumich said:
What is a max speed on BBS02 750W without pedaling? Ofc after brake a speedlimit on 48V and the weight beetween BBS02 vs GNG?

BBS02 750W Max speed will be based on your gearing and battery, but right around 30 mph.

My set-up is 48T Front Sprocket, 11T Rear Sprocket (Smallest), 26" DIAM wheels & 12S LiPo battery. I get right around 32 mph on the flat, WOT.

Back