• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

LightningRods mid drive kit

I'm also eagerly awaiting my prepaid kit wo motor. It's summer and I want it now:)
But what's keeping me cool is that it seems like LR takes real pride in his work and delivers more than promised.
Paint, chain/belt covers, and a free massage job:)
Reading this forum keeps me informed enough, not to keep sending 'when is my kit sent' emails.
Hope I receive an email when the goods is dispatched though.
I think a price of 800$ for the kit unpainted and unassembled, and say 999$ painted and assembled (and massaged) seems like the right prize for this kit.
I can see you are enthusiastic about your kit, and want it to be perfect, but one cannot be working for free in the long run.
Lets hope the next kits will be easier to complete, so you can start making some money after all your efforts.

I'm happy to give the people who have paid in so far a great deal on their kits. This has been an E-S kickstarter to make something available that did not exist before. I've put as much value as I possibly could into what people invested in.

I'm about ready to close this initial phase of producing these kits. Prices will go up and lead times will go down. I want to stop taking orders until I have my production schedule nailed down.

How about some pricing for "Assemble Yourself" Complete Parts Kits as well as "Fully Assembled".

I wish I could have afforded to order one from you in this early round, but alas, I'm still paying the bills on my other ebike projects. It will happen, though. I don't think there is a Mid-Drive solution that is as elegant and powerful as yours Mike.

I think that's a great idea. As I've produced these parts and kits I've seen a pretty clear pattern emerging. Some people want to do a lot of the build themselves and others just want to bolt a finished kit on their bike and go ride. I think it makes sense to go with that. I'm going to need to really improve my documentation but once that is done it will free me from doing the same assembly work over and over. Painting and assembling this kit once is a fun way for purchasers to save $200.

i think the assembly instructions could initially be delegated to an E-S forum member as it was proven by the "unofficial" guide for the CA, which is believe is more official then the official one.

One thing I want to do ASAP is an exploded view of the kit. I'm definitely the best equipped to provide this since I have the flat templates for the brackets plus I have a background as a tech illustrator.

you should have the option to publish as a big ass poster :)

Architectural D size PDF file is all we need. :)
I find pdf files to be immensely useful when coordinating with other trades, especially when "others" don't have CAD capability.

Anyone can email a PDF file to their local print shop, and it saves you, Mike, the cost of printing and mailing.

teslanv said:
Architectural D size PDF file is all we need. :)
I find pdf files to be immensely useful when coordinating with other trades, especially when "others" don't have CAD capability.

Anyone can email a PDF file to their local print shop, and it saves you, Mike, the cost of printing and mailing.

Good idea. I'll make it an Adobe Illustrator vector PDF. Then you can blow it up to billboard size if you like.

Yeah i would say that all this little stuff needs to be put aside. (templates, really? let the man work) I think the options of assembly or not is great. You may even find that for the 200 (really to low imho) savings and a youtube assembly link featuring yourself (lol) may make this a lot less work for you. However, i have to say from a business point of view, you would be better served advertising it as a 800 kit that the purchaser assembles (youtube link or embed on your website). I would say that at this stage of the ebike game its still in the hobby area. Your setup is special. And i think that anyone that finds you will be someone that is in this hobby and can handle an assembly. now that you have a first run of hand assembly im sure you know exactly what is needed to put them together. tools, parts and more importantly your time. Id throw the assembly option on there, at $400. If someone really cant watch a youtube video and put it together, then its going to cost 'em. lol.

This may not be a popular idea. However, LR you got some skills. Id hate to see you not have the time to be able to do R&D to expand to other bike platforms or new drives all together. Hell, have you put one of these on one of your own bikes yet?

watching folks declaring their kits arrived reminds of the time i waited for an invite code for ingress.. :oops: :shock:

#3 is going out tomorrow. I'm also shipping a lot of complete GNG conversions that basically replace everything but the motor. I'm fully stocked in all of my parts now and will be shipping kits steadily. I'll let everyone know when I'm caught up.

2 days ago i had to walk back home dragging my bike across 2 cities because the crank was dislodged from the freewheel holder, see all those nice sunken Allen bolts, almost all were gone, and the reason they were gone, was because i didn't tighten them enough, and the reason for THAT was when i do tighten that, the nirosta's holes get squashed mangled so i can' pull them up again. arrrr. now i have bolts of STEEL (well except one, that's titanium, cause i ran out of steel).

and the reason for this rant, was i didn't have the proper tools to even close the current ones, i end up carrying to too many or to few. so what would be the golden "emergency" tools set i can i use on the field? for this kit?

0lV7Niz68qgmELF01tH_zhf-mME1BzNJ66wxcI3xGQ=w338-h253-p-no

New parts are making their way onto Forum member's rides. Here's my new billet aluminum pulley and motor shaft on skyungjae's bike, ready for action. His comment: "So nice to be enjoying the sound of silence once more." :D

10470609_10203699251349022_4286825803693625189_n.jpg

Back