• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

LiHV

Stevo UK

10 mW
Anyone had any experience with LiHV batteries yet, or have an opinion on them? Thanks

News to me.

Claims 65C constant, 130C burst like A-spec nanotech, but charges to 4.35V per cell.

The 6S 5400mAh pack is approximately $1/Wh

Hillhater said:
What are you hoping to gain out of them ?
These are intended for the hi performance heli flyers who want every fraction of a volt they can get from relatively small packs.

More speed maybe? A 20s pack of these will give you 87 Volts hot of the charger instead of 84 volts, So if you and your mate have the same type of motor and controller you will get a little more speed than your mate.
Great to account for voltage sag maybe?

TotalConfusion said:
...More speed maybe? A 20s pack of these will give you 87 Volts hot of the charger instead of 84 volts, ?
:shock: an expensive way to get ~2% more speed ! ....that probably burns off after the first few mins anyway.
it would be a LOT cheaper to just build a 21S "standard" cell pack.
I doubt many Ebikes need the high discharge rates of these packs, and they are a huge $$ premium over conventional packs

The extra cost probably isn't justified, but you should see a noticeable increase in stored energy going from 4.2 to 4.35 VPC (I suspect it's the extra 400mAh in the 5400mAh rating). It's why many 18650 liCo cells charge to 4.35V.

Would I be correct in assuming that you may be able to get a longer life out of them as it would not always be necessary to fully charge them? I have read on other threads that a lipo's life can be dramatically increased if they are not regularly fully charged.

The degradation is a result of time at voltage, where the higher the voltage and the longer the time the worse the degradation. Hence the common advice being to top-off a battery when you need to use it, rather than charging it completely and leaving it until you next need it.

RC lipo is notorious for degradation due the poor quality of the electrolyte used. Therefore some people choose to only top off to 4.1V rather than 4.2V.

Hopefully these HiV cells use a superior (more stable) electrolyte. They might be just as sketchy at 4.35V as the regular RC lipo at 4.2V. However, HiV at 4.2V *ought* to be better.

Back