Linux geeks thread

The issue with intermittent disk speeds is still ongoing. And very annoying.

I'm going to reach out to digitalocean to see if we have options. If not, i'm moving us to Vultr because they offer a 'dedicated cloud' plan where prices are only a hair higher but you get a dedicated SSD and CPU. The Vultr setup still ends up costing half of what AWS is charging. This is the mid-end option i've been looking for.

neptronix said:
You may have noticed that ES runs like the quickest page on the internet, but occasionally stutters and hangs for seconds.
This is the disk access problem.

Only way to do that is to specify a shape that includes flash drives.
Spinning drives are not acceptable except for backup.
Needless to say, such guaranteed shapes are only generally available @ AWS, Google, Azure, and Oracle cloud offerings.
But perhaps your vendor offers such shapes?

M

MJSfoto1956 said:
Only way to do that is to specify a shape that includes flash drives.
Spinning drives are not acceptable except for backup.
Needless to say, such guaranteed shapes are only generally available @ AWS, Google, Azure, and Oracle cloud offerings.
But perhaps your vendor offers such shapes?

We have a fast SSD that ranges from significantly faster than all my Amazon servers to slower than a failing 10 year old laptop hard drive.. the reason is because digitalocean puts you on a server with a bunch of other randos and then does not throttle anyone's disk access..

So someone running a backup process somewhere else can make ES go from super perky to lethargic..

This effect wasn't present on amazon.. but.. amazon is one of the worst values in hosting..

Back