lipo battery construction, charger and bms?

jatgm1

10 W
mahopac, new york, united states of america
im trying to build a 36v lipo pack, would 10 or 12 of these cells work?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9172__Turnigy_5000mAh_2S_20C_Lipo_Pack.html
and is there a charger that will be able to charge and ballance all these cells at once? on a 110v outlet? and preferably act as a bms as well during use? also, i was hoping to be able to use .250 width quick-disconnects for everything instead of soldering, but if i cant, oh well.

You want this one. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18631

Make a 12s pack. It's about halfway between 36v, and 48v. Or more like, almost 48v. Not too much for the smaller geared motors, as long as you are not a big guy. If you are a big guy, you want a larger geared motor, like the Mac, BMC, or E-Bikekit.

This type of battery, don't store it or charge it in a place you would not build a fire. This is no shit! What charger to choose for RC packs is a reading assignment that can take you months. 1000 ways, all right. You could put a bms on the packs, but many just use an RC charger to charge and balance them each charge. One good one is the Thunder power 12s type. Choose a good fast charger, not one that charges at 50watts.

You'd be much better off, but likely with less money left, getting a safer, bms equipped battery from the same vendor you get your motor from. It will be safer, come with a bms, and it will come with a matching charger.

Please just buy a prebuilt pack, with BMS, and charger. It's a lot less likely to end badly.

Syonyk said:
Please just buy a prebuilt pack, with BMS, and charger. It's a lot less likely to end badly.

i double down on this too. if you wanna learn how to build a battery then start by learning how to repair the battery you have already. when you think you can do a better job than the 16 year old girls soldering and spot welding them together in china then it would be worth the attempt.

Buy from a competent seller, which is almost never the cheapest seller.

I'm glad you all care so much about others safety, however the reason I am on here is to find out the safe way to do this, so by simply saying "go buy one", the result is that I do not gain any such knowledge, whereas if you were to make a suggestion of how to do it safely and which materials to use, and simply suggest afterward to purchase one, you help me and also make the same point. I've bought one before, I don't think I will do that again. I appreciate your concern, however please deposit all suggestions of that type into the circular filing bin, this is not the appropriate place, as they will likely only be seen as the equivalent of those stickers on bicycles that tell you to wear a helmet. We all know what happens with them don't we? I come here to learn not get a lecture in capitism. Thank you though dog man I appreciate your input, I will continue research in the subject. Do you know of any cheap bms or low Voltage/high Voltage cut off devices that could monitor individual cells?

If you are unsure about battery building, then starting with lipo is a bit dicy....They can catch fire in some instances.
If you are very careful you can do it, but you should start by charging them in a place where you can not burn your house down.

As to your first question, a good balance charger will charge and balance you lipo. You will also need a power supply suitable to power your balance charger. And a Parallel Charger Board if your charger only does 6 batteries at a time.

In any case just respect lipo batteries.

Here is something to look into: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...P2diJSP7cUCFUuTfgod7R4AUw&Q=&is=REG&A=details

:D

Okay, can I use this charging board
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14856__Hobbyking_Parallel_charging_Board_for_6_packs_2_6S_XT_60_.html
with these batteries?
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18631
it says 2200 or more, also how would I plug it in exactly? It looks like theirs two plugs in the middle and two sets of balancing ports, one on each side. Does it matter where I plug the balancing wires? It's parallel right, it doesn't matter what side. I think i need adapters from 4mm bullet connectors too. Also I think this is the best strongest charger on hobbyking.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__6478__IMAX_B6_AC_Charger_Discharger_1_6_Cells_GENUINE_.html

So I can I plug each pack into the charger to balance separately, then put them alll into into the parallel rig so they can balance together? Then make a wire harness and unplug them all from the parallel board and into the harness. And can I attach the packs so their are three pairs of two in parallel, then run the three pairs in series to get 44.4v and 10ah? I figure I'll make the wire harness with 6 sets of female plugs and 8 gauge wire, and have the output going to the motor, a port house plug or Anderson plug.

Those 4S hardcase packs are good. You can use that parallel charging board but a better alternative to it is an icecube57-like harness like the one Dogman reviewed.

That is an interesting setup, would I be able to leave the balancing wires in the parallel charging board while it's used? Like while the batteries are in use? There's no reason not to right? I mean as long as the output plugs are not plugged into the charging board right? Just to make sure.

If you use a harness like the one Dogman reviewed you don't need to use a parallel charging board with it. Also get a stronger charger than that 50-watt IMAX B6.

I know, but I think i would be better off at first with a charging board. Simpler for now. Mostly stock connections, other than the wiring harness. It's an interesting setup but I am going to stick to a stock setup as much as possible. Save some effort and make things more easily hotswappable. I'm even debating making two separate 5ah, packs so that there are no parallel cells in discharge, or find a 10ah pack with only cells in serial, gotta weigh out the costs. I think if I make a metal battery case with a dual vent out the back and put it in a backpack, worst case it'll only blow smoke out the back and I'll drop that sh*t like it's hot. Isolate the cells from the harness and circuitry and have a separate fan to cool the cells. A 12v one or something. Build the charger Into The Front of it, like in front of the circuitry. This is the end game of course. First I'll get metal, and the welder I finished Making out of microwaves and make a shotty case with a vent, afterwards I'll weld a separate compartment for the charger on. I'm tired of stuff failing on me so this is the plan. Lifepo4 makes this too large heavy and expensive.

Yes, the charger must be disconnected while running the motor. Everything else is just wiring.

:D

Back