Long Term testing of an ATS Speed Drive

the 100mm bb wont need that tool. have to use a tourque arm. both ats and the other one got back to me and they dont have one for my Ti mukluk .

You also need to keep in mind, from what I've seen so far, Accountants offering of the Schlumpf clone only has a gear ratio of 1:1 and 1:1.65. The real deal Schlumpf High Speed Drive has a gear ratio of 1:1 and 1:2.65. So your decision depends on the speeds you're planning on travelling at. I'm unsure what the ratio's would translate to in "km/h or mph" though - maybe someone else can chime in?

ATS speed drive is exactly the same as the schlumpf but Greyborg team only has the 1.65x drive available atm, btw the higher speed drive is about 2.5x and it has some limitations.
Accountant name is actually Vladimir

crusoe said:
What are the limitations gensem?

I would have to read the manual again ( and im not finding it atm) to recall for sure, but I think the 2.5x ratio has a chainring size limit or something like it.

The high speed drive is a lot more expensive than the ATS, and takes special chainrings. I suspect the gears are not as strong, but that's an estimate. The ATS takes standard chainrings and gives a good ratio. If I remember correctly it came out 12/20 mph on my Greyborg setup which is not quite rolling yet... :)

If you want to pedal at 12/30 then the high speed drive would be needed.

I want one! The cheap one, right now I can paddle comfortably upto 35km/h, but I want to be able to do that @ 50km/h
So a 50% increase is more than enough for me :)

To combine it with my front 6T mac, nuvinci rear, 38/16T 26"

What is the benefit of these over a standard chainring?

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

Cool, but what sort of hearing would you get with them, if for instance it was smaller than my 52t chain ring what use would it be at higher speeds?

Sent using Endless-Sphere Mobile app

I haven't seen it mentioned yet on this thread but there is another option that is the Hammerschmidt Crankset by Truvativ. It is about as expensive and as robust as the Schlumpf Drive. It has the 1:1.6 gear ratio but doesn't come in 1:2.5 ratio. It also differs in that shifting gears on the Hammerschmidt is done by a cable and a thumb shifter on the handlebars, instead of kickplate button on the crank.

Another concern is just how rugged are these cranksets with internal gears. Are they just for the smooth pavement or can they withstand the jarring shock of offroad riding? I have read good success experiences from both Sclumpf and Hammerschmidt on the mountain bike forums. The comments in general are that yes both cranksets are expensive but seem to take the punishment from offroad pretty well.

One last observation is that when pedaling the Hammerschmidt with the 1:1.6 OD engaged there seems to be a slight whirring feel and low sound from the crankset but no noticable drag or loss in power was percieved.

caspo6 said:
ebikessf will loan out the tool with a deposit of $350. That may be with the purchase of a Schlumpf, but they may accomodate you.

There is also a video of how to do the chamfering... looks pretty easy to me.. kind of like sharpening a pencil.

http://www.ebikessf.com/schlumpf-hs

Thanks Caspo6,
I just rented the install tool from ebikessf (placed the order); ETA this Friday. I'll have it for a week, plenty of time to chamfer the three bottom brackets I plan to install the ATS drive on. I'll post pix here and describe the install. Now more hurdle hopefully cleared soon!

OK, so I got the tool set from ebikessf.com, and I used the chamfer tool to begin setting up my "standby" bike. I have pictures I'll post soon. A word of caution for those going down this path: The ATS version's minimum width is about 68mm. Once I chamfered down my BB, I could not tighten down the ATS drive for lack of width.

So to solve the problem I've ordered a 4mm spacer cone from Utah Trikes. Other spacers (e.g., 2mm) are available from www.cyclemonkey.com. See here for pictures:
http://www.haberstock-mobility.com/...pf-PDFE/Installation-Schlumpf-Speed-Drive.pdf

Send a PM to Accountant. He was very helpful and responsive to my purchase. I received my order in like 8-10 days if I recall correctly, not bad for international shipping.

MattyCiii said:
Send a PM to Accountant. He was very helpful and responsive to my purchase. I received my order in like 8-10 days if I recall correctly, not bad for international shipping.

One more question; is Accountant a seller at ATS, or did he just buy one?

I had the same problem, but you can PM Dimitri (forum member Accountant). Because he bought 50 drives, and still has some left I just ordered one from him with cranks :)
The chain ring is standard, you can order that anywhere..

Yes the chainrings are 130mm BCD

EDIT: WRONG! They're 110mm BCD. Keep reading this thread...

Quajochem said:
I had the same problem, but you can PM Dimitri (forum member Accountant). Because he bought 50 drives, and still has some left I just ordered one from him with cranks :)
The chain ring is standard, you can order that anywhere..

Hes is name is Vladimir!! I already got two ats drives from greyb.org, but now I need the crank arms and rings.

Back