• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Looking for 15-40 kV hub motor with diameter <=9inches

The mini hubs on ebay are 10kV=10 RPM / Volt, so max RPM (zero torque, coasting in space, you do drive there, no?) @ 48 volts is only 480 hz or so. Does anyone know of a hub motor that is small and has higher kV? Outrunners have kV >> 100 and obviously they aren't hub motors. I don't especially like high voltages.

The actual motors inside of geared hub motors are often right around the top of that Kv range, otherwise you're looking at only the bigger speed wind hubbies to get there. It looks like the X5302 has a Kv of 15, and the similar sized scooter hubbies I used are 16rpm/v. The others I've seen with a bit higher Kv are even bigger heavier scooter motors.

Thanks John. I couldn't verify the kV. Do you have a datasheet for that hub motor you could send me or post? I saw this quote: "That X5 only awakes at 48v, starts to have fun over 70v, at 100v things are Fun with a capital F.U" This actually implies it is a LOW kV motor.

Jason

Run it on the Ebikes.ca simulator. I don't know where you can even buy one, but the X5302 is probably the fastest wound ebike motor there is. They are hard on controllers. What is it you are trying to do that requires discussion of the diameter of a hubbie?

John in CR said:
Run it on the Ebikes.ca simulator.
The sim showed that of all the hub motors the Crystalyte 5302 would give me the highest power at 24 volts, but it was only 8 miles per hour.
I don't know where you can even buy one, but the X5302 is probably the fastest wound ebike motor there is. They are hard on controllers. What is it you are trying to do that requires discussion of the diameter of a hubbie?
I want to stick it on the back of an x-250 scooter with an 8 inch tire diameter and room for about 9.6 inches without modification. I don't mind the high volts but 22.2 volts is easiest to balance using existing technology which incidentally really sucks.
Jason

My best advice would be to get yourself a proper scooter hubbie. 24V isn't going to cut it though, at least not with an bike or scooter hubmotor I've seen. Kelly has a number of different models. Also check for spares for scooters.

BTW, some batteries don't require balancing at all.

Thanks John but actually, the smallest hub motor Kelly sells is 10 inches: for instance the Hub Motor 72V 6KW http://kellycontroller.com/hub-motor-72v-6kwdisc-brake10-inch-p-41.html. But it won't fit. They have some other 10 inch ones. The ratio for the cheapest was 15 which would work. Their high speed wheel is about 853 RPM @ 48 volts=about 17.8 kV. So I would have 1/2-1 inch to dremel out and no tire. It appears they sell tires but without the hub motors as well but don't confuse yourself these aren't tire diameters but rim sizes. Charles at MIT made his own and it was small. There has to be a smaller hub motor but I don't think Kelly sells one small enough.

Back