Looking for Info. on Cyclone 480 watt motor with Kelly cont

foiloco

10 mW
I am working on a solar powered human following tricycle robot that uses bicycle wheels. It is called SolarBurro. It's used to haul loads so the human doesn't have to. I am posting information and on my project at solarburro.net. I am using a Cyclone motor to drive the front wheel of the trike. Currently I have a 360 watt Cyclone motor with built in speed control with gearbox. I mounted a 16 magnet pulse disk and hall sensor on the motor output. This generates 8 pulse cycles per revolution. I have a 4.72 speed reducing belt drive to the 26" bicycle wheel. This thing is basically a tricycle that cruises at 3 mph.

When I started this project I concluded I needed a gear motor and a speed reducing chain or belt reduction to the 26" wheel. This way the motor is running at 1750 rpm, the gearbox output is 183 rpm, with the wheel rotating at 38.75 rpm when the vehicle speed is 3 mph. In the beginning, I estimated the power to climb a 20 percent grade hill with a 200 pound vehicle at 3 mph was 252 watts. The torque required at the 26 inch wheel would be 549 inch-pounds, the torque at the motor output would be 116 inch pounds. I wonder if I could have used a larger motor without a gearbox driving the wheel at 183 rpm at the motor through the 4.72 belt reduction drive? I wonder about that big Cyclone motor. I really dislike the noise of the gearbox.? If this was possible, how would the efficiency compare with the small geared motor?

Recently I did testing of the Cyclone 360 watt motor. I wanted to find the relationship between input volts and motor speed. I was disappointed to find out how noisy the gearbox is. I cut the twist grip off the accessory throttle, got the wires figured out and and took some measurements. I found that it took about 2.03 volts to get the motor to start and it would turn at about 20 rpm.
At 2.5 volts it was 174 rpm and at 3.25 volts / 375 rpm. The maximum speed needed for my application is about 180 rpm. I was a disappointed to find that the rpm change is spread over about .5 volts. I was hoping it would be more like 2.5 volts.

I hooked up my Arduino Uno and and drove the motor command with PWM at 980 hz / 5 volts with pin D5. I found it took 103 counts of duty cycle to get the motor to spin and at 130 counts I had about 187 rpm. So the range for my application is spread over only 27 counts. I was disappointed to make this discovery.

Reading posts here it occurred to me that I made a mistake purchasing this motor as it may be unreliable, especially if it gets wet, and it would be better to have an external controller. Also I could obtain regenerative braking with the Kelly controller. I placed an order for the 480 - 720 watt motor and the 24-36V 20 amp max Kelly controller. I plan on powering this with a 24 volt battery.

I want to measure the motor speed for my application. I am thinking I would probably tie into one of the three hall sensors. Am I correct guessing that the hall sensor puts out a 0 - 5 volt pulse pattern? How many pulses per motor revolution will it put out?

What is the input voltage vs. motor speed relationship for the Kelly controller? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

GrandpaWalking said:
I am working on a solar powered human following tricycle robot that uses bicycle wheels. It is called SolarBurro. It's used to haul loads so the human doesn't have to. I am posting information and on my project at solarburro.net. I am using a Cyclone motor to drive the front wheel of the trike. Currently I have a 360 watt Cyclone motor with built in speed control with gearbox. I mounted a 16 magnet pulse disk and hall sensor on the motor output. This generates 8 pulse cycles per revolution. I have a 4.72 speed reducing belt drive to the 26" bicycle wheel. This thing is basically a tricycle that cruises at 3 mph.
This sounds like a pretty useful project--I'd love to have one I could attach to the "U-boats" we use at work to move 40-50 big bags of dogfood around the store for stocking. ;)

I wonder if I could have used a larger motor without a gearbox driving the wheel at 183 rpm at the motor through the 4.72 belt reduction drive? I wonder about that big Cyclone motor. I really dislike the noise of the gearbox.? If this was possible, how would the efficiency compare with the small geared motor?
Well, the less reduction stages you have, the more efficient a drivetrain theoretically is, assuming the motor is wound to be at it's efficient zone at the speed it'll be running at. As to whether that particular setup will work, I don't know.

FWIW, 20% slope is getting on the steep side for me, personally.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Grades_degrees.svg

I was a disappointed to find that the rpm change is spread over about .5 volts. I was hoping it would be more like 2.5 volts.
If you use an op-amp (or transistor), you can easily scale it differently, if you have something else you're outputting from that has a much wider range. Alternatively, if the controller is programmable, you can change it's own scaling, if that's an option in it.

Am I correct guessing that the hall sensor puts out a 0 - 5 volt pulse pattern? How many pulses per motor revolution will it put out?
Usually position sensing halls will stay open-circuit (usually pulled up to 5V inside the controller) until they detect a magnetic field (or transition between N/S or S/N, depending on type), then they short their output to ground.

Number of pulses per rev depends on how many magnets or magnet pairs are on the rotor. For every magnet (or pair) there should be a pulse. Easy to count by marking the start position with a marker, rotating by hand a full 360 degrees, and watching with a meter, counting the transitions.

I don't have the rest of hte info you're after, though. For the Kelly info, you might check with Fany, as the Kelly rep here on ES.

Hi

We would like to control the speed of our hub motor using a micro processor, an arduino or an ESP32
We are using a kelly KLS96601 8080H. Did you hook the the arduino to your the Kelly controller. How did it work out, any feedback?

I hooked up my Arduino Uno and and drove the motor command with PWM at 980 hz / 5 volts with pin D5. I found it took 103 counts of duty cycle to get the motor to spin and at 130 counts I had about 187 rpm. So the range for my application is spread over only 27 counts. I was disappointed to make this discovery.

Back