Luna / LR Big Block build

Hey Bowhunter, Chalo is helping me get the Nuvinci N171 laced into some 80mm and 100mm rims.

On my 100mm rim, he noticed that the center of the rim to the outside is 51mm. From the center of the hub to the sprocket is 50mm. It would seem that this puts the edge of the rim (and the tire) in the way of the chainline. Did you have an issues with the N360 chainline?

I am going to bring him the bike today to look at...

Mammalian04 said:
Hey Bowhunter, Chalo is helping me get the Nuvinci N171 laced into some 80mm and 100mm rims.

On my 100mm rim, he noticed that the center of the rim to the outside is 51mm. From the center of the hub to the sprocket is 50mm. It would seem that this puts the edge of the rim (and the tire) in the way of the chainline. Did you have an issues with the N360 chainline?

I am going to bring him the bike today to look at...

I was wondering the same thing. In looking at the chainline, it appears it's going to be a close call. I had my guy set up my bike so I can ride it with pedal power until the big block kit arrives from Mike. I don't have an issue with chain clearance as it's set up now.

I wanted to post an update, I've been busy hunting and haven't done so for awhile.
2015 Archery Buck [640x480].jpg

I painted the bike a couple of weeks ago as my hydro-dipper is also a hunter and he won't have time until the end of this year. I did a quick camo rattle can job on it, it came out decent. It's all set up with the brakes and N360 and it's been a joy to ride.

I spent some time last evening getting all of the wiring sorted out. Thank God most of it's plug and play! I'll add some photos of the wiring before I enclose it.
SAM_2235 [640x480].jpg

If you look closely you can see the custom bracket I made to mount the rear brake caliper. This was the only part of the whole build that gave me much trouble. The brake mounts on the frame need quite a bit of tweaking to be usable.
SAM_2236 [640x480].jpg

The front brake mount didn't require an adapter but it did take some bending to get it aligned.
SAM_2237 [640x480].jpg

I really wanted to mount the N360 shifter on the right but I just didn't have room. I'm getting used to having it on the left but my OCD hates that it's upside-down!
SAM_2238 [640x480].jpg

RIght handlebar contains the 3 speed switch and the thumb throttle. I rotated the throttle so that it sits more towards the bottom of the bar from what you see in this picture.
View attachment 3

These two Cyclops lights should do a nice job of lighting up the night!
SAM_2240 [640x480].jpg

The flat plate just below the handlebars makes a great place to mount the kill switch and CA3.
SAM_2241 [640x480].jpg

Wiring updates to come soon!

jeremy

I just received notification that my LR Luna Drive arrived!!!!! I'll post some pictures when I get home from work.

Jeremy

looking really good, my drive arrived today and seeing your bike coming along I'll have to get back to it this weekend, thanks for the update,

also for my nuvunci drive I've got the shifter on the left, hard to think of a better way as I want throttle on the right. If I can get a beam ts pedelec going I'll put the shifter on the right and a thumb throttle on the left,

Here's the beauty in all her glory. The quality of this mid drive is outstanding! She's built like a tank.

I'll get her installed and wired up this weekend then it's off to the shop to have the final brake tune and chains made. She should be under power in the next week or so!

jeremy

1.jpg

2.jpg

View attachment 2

4.jpg

5.jpg

It was pretty easy to get the Luna drive in. I ran into an issue with the Luna frame not being symmetrical, but that was an easy fix. The two braces that the drive sits against were out of square and too wide so the bottom plate of the drive couldn't sit flat against the mounting plate on the bike frame. I gently bent them inboard and the drive slid right into place. From there it was a matter of marking the mounting holes, drilling them, and bolting the drive in.

I wired up the drive and everything works. The problem I'm having is the motor spins backwards. I have it wired according to Lyen's instructions: yellow to yellow, blue to green, and green to blue. I remember Mike saying the wiring was different for the Luna drives but he didn't tell me how to hook it up. I tried switching the blue and green wires to the controller but that resulted in the motor making an unpleasant noise. What do i need to do?

USPS smashed the big plastic belt pulley. As soon as I get a replacement from Mike, I'll be on the road!!!

Jeremy

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is what I got from Mike, hope it helps.

This new layout requires reverse rotation of the motor so yes the wiring is completely different. This sequence is meant for the Lyen Infineons. Hopefully the Grin controllers are basically the same.

Hall Wires
Y-B
G-Y
B-G

Phase Wires
B-B
G-G
Y-Y

I’ve run this personally with the Lyen controller and it works. I hope that it also works for you. I’d certainly be interested to hear back.

I'll be using a grin controller to start out.

Nice bike! love the camo, I'm building a fat bike to hunt off also. I was thinking when I get my bike done, I might strip it down to the frame and have it camo dipped.

Did you paint yours yourself?

EMCO said:
Nice bike! love the camo, I'm building a fat bike to hunt off also. I was thinking when I get my bike done, I might strip it down to the frame and have it camo dipped.

Did you paint yours yourself?

Yep, it's a ghetto camo job.

I was going to get mine dipped but my guy had too long of a lead time.

Jeremy

A clutch (and maybe weighted flywheel) would make all the difference with climbing, but I haven't seen any viable solutions yet (electronic clutch wouldn't do much more than proper throttle control).

I was laying in bed last night visualizing the jackshaft functioning as a clutch as well. I know that motorcycle wet clutches are much larger than the JS diameter, but maybe with some strong springs and 3x the clutch plates it would work? Probably beyond my backyard shop engineering ability, but I can visualize it... please let me know when i can test a prototype, beers on me!

On my oset 24" i've used the rear break as a clutch sometimes for traction control but that's not really sustainable (read: affordable in the short run).

fechter said:
I'll be real interested to hear how it climbs.

Looks great :twisted:

I'm hoping to get some riding time in this weekend. USPS did some damage to the large pulley on the belt drive and I'm waiting on a replacement from Mike before I can ride.

Jeremy

The replacement pulley arrived from Mike today! It took me about 10 minutes to replace it and get things put back together.

My initial impression of the Luna/LR Big Block/N360 combo follows:
Being a bit more cautious at my ripe old age of 36, I have my CA3 set to 2500w and I started out with the 3-speed switch on 1 and the N360 in the 'lowest gear'. I slowly eased into the throttle and the bike began to move, I gave it a bit more and we were off. I twisted the throttle to full....and was surprised at the lack of power. Hmmmm.

Naturally I let off the throttle, switched to setting 2 on the 3-speed switch, and eased back into the throttle. Boom! There was the power I was looking for! I rode around for about 5 minutes both in the yard and up and down some of the neighborhood streets continuing on setting 2. I found there was plenty of power even in the higher gears and I was able to go faster than I needed to. It wasn't the gear busting power I've been hearing about, but it was plenty for me. (not sure what my speeds were, haven't gotten the speedo to function yet)

I rode about 200 yards up the neighborhood street and turned around. I decided it was time for me to try out setting 3. I got rolling on setting 2, I switched to 3, and gave the throttle a push. WOW! The bike took off with scary power- the gear busting power I've heard about. I went from 10-12 mph to 25-30 in a blink. For someone like me who isn't used to riding motos (or bikes for that matter), that was a scary amount of power and speed in a short amount of time.

I putted around in the yard a bit more to get a better feel for the low speed handling and then headed in to get my daughters. It took a few minutes to get their shoes and jackets on before we all headed out to 'watch Daddy ride his new bike'. As I walked out of the house into the garage, I looked out through the open garage door and saw an unmarked police cruiser slowly drive by. He pulled into my neighbor's driveway and sat there for a few minutes. After a bit I looked back at my neighbor's and he was gone. Coincidence? Doubt it. I can't believe I rode for about 15 minutes total and already have heat on me. My bike isn't exactly the epitome of stealth is it?

I'll post some pictures of the fully completed bike in the next day or two.

jeremy

pkirkll,
Sorry for the delayed reply! I have 26" wheels with 26x4 Vee Mission tires.
---------------------------------------------------------

I took the beast out for a shakedown run on one of my favorite hunting properties. The climb is about 1100' over 1.5 miles. I did a straight run up the logging road at around 9-10 mph without stopping. I didn't take any temp readings but the controller felt mildly warm and the motor was 'room temp' when I hit the top. It climbs like a beast, I only used the 2nd setting on the three speed switch and had all the power I needed.

I rode around on the mountain for awhile getting a feel for the bike. I was getting a little more brave as the time passed and eventually I talked myself into doing something stupid. There is a side trail off of the main logging road that starts off with a 12' climb that is very steep- hard to even getting footing while walking up it. I started up it with too little speed and then hit the throttle too hard and BANG!!! The freewheel on the N360 popped. I haven't had time to take the bike apart to check things out but I don't think the repair will be too difficult. Fortunately, the ride back to the truck was all downhill and my only worry was brake fade.

I post again when I dig into the repair.

Jeremy

Thanks for that update Jeremy!

Sorry about the freewheel....

I orderd the 29 inch wheels with Maxxis Minion 2.5 tires--a dual ply casing that my new buddy Tyler at Cycle Monkeys assures me are great tires for my application--

I want the fat tires ...but couldnt figure out how to get them on there to suit me....

Maybe later...

We are going to have to put a camera on you if you are going to be acting all crazy out there!!!! :mrgreen:

I could never figure out how to lace up bicycle hubs to moto rims?????

And Tyler was very hesitant to talk about lacing the rohloff in a moto wheel--- (i will need more larnin' on this tecnique)

The only 23 inch tires i found were front tires for a honda xl500s---- and the wheels (or rims) are weird to find--- maybe Rix or someone can help me out----

I still think a moto rim/rohloff hub/with a 3.00 x 23 inch moto tire would be sweet...

Back