MAC em3ev controller

pomah

10 W
Hi,

I'm running a 500w falco at 16 amps today and it sadly overheats on me at the end of my commute. I run it in a 700c wheel. (rear hub)

I would like to use my current battery and throttle setup and run the motor at 48V and 20-25 amps. As it is today I use my bike as moped with just a throttle and I spend most around 15 min out of the 20 min commute at max throttle, so at around 800W of power. I would want something that can handle that load for around 1 hour of continues use and not just 10-12 min depending on the weather outside... (as it is now)

So I was thinking of a leafmotor (1000W version) with a phaserunner. But I was recommended a mac motor due to the extra torque and less weight. they also had a cheap controller on their page that could be programmed as I wanted. It all sounds and looks good, except for 2 things:

1) I was thinking of going with their 6 fet controller, it is small enough to fit in my current bike-bag which is a big plus for me, but will it handle being at 20-25 amps for a longer time?

2) The cable from the mac motor is exiting on the side, how well protected is it? Could anyone who has this motor send me some pictures on the their setup?

If there is anything else I missed or misunderstood, please feel free to correct.

The biggest problem is putting the controller (and controller) in a bag: Without cooling airflow they will overheat much more quickly.

I ran about 2.2kw through my mac motor (10T) with a 12 FET in a saddle bag. It's not that bad if the ambient temp is about 20 deg C. It got warm/hot but never failed.

Ok, I feel real stupid, the controller is a square type... I guess I'll have to go with a phaserunner... Anyone using that with a mac motor?

I have a MAC 10T powered by Pauls' 12 FET Infineon. Its not that loud, but audible.

At 25A limit run hard, the controller gets warm but not even close to hot. It does have a pretty good heatsink on the case.

I have a Phaserunner, but haven't tried it yet. Justin mentioned that it may not work as well in sensorless mode due to the RPM the motor actually turns. In the lengthy Phaserunner thread there were posts that mentioned using a Phaserunner with a MAC but I do't recall the specifics.

Here's Paul's tutorial on picking the right size controller for various motor speeds;

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=50_40&product_id=207

For placement in a bag, I would use a one size larger controller.

Yeah I will most likely go with a phaserunner due to the fact that pauls controllers are square wave, no need for the noise when I can pay and be without it.

I just cant decide between the casette version or the freehub version, the cost wont matter much...

Back