• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

MAC torque plate for a NCM Moscow / Magnum Peak frame

neos

100 mW
The NCM Moscow / Magnum Peak has a already a well integrated torque plate, unfortunately on the wrong side.
What I need is a torque plate with an opening in the middle that fits with the MAC axis for this side of the frame.

As far as I have been able to find out, there is only the possibility to create such a torque plate yourself
or to find a company that can manufacture it.

Why not using the torque arm from ebike.ca? Because I like to have a better integrated solution that doesn't look so obviously "improvised".

if it is a bolt on plate, then you could take the original plate, along with the gmac torque arm info, to a machine shop and have them make you one.

Unfortunately the GMAC torque arm has to be mounted on the other side of the frame.
Because the cable of the mxus XF15R is on the cassette side and the cable of the GMAC is on the other side.

As you can see the frame has also screw holes on this side. Would it be tough enough to mount a torque arm / plate only in this area where
the indentations are, maybe the two break screws could also be used for a torque plate?

would *what* be tough enough? the frame? the holes? the arm? can't tell what you mean. :(

if the gmac's torque arm won't fit on the frame you have (or want to use), then the solution is still the same as the first reply. you'd need to make (or have made) something that fits the frame but has the necessary stuff to fit the gmac axle/etc.

neos said:
Unfortunately the GMAC torque arm has to be mounted on the other side of the frame.
if you already know it can't go on the same side, then why ask the question about that side? :/

that makes no sense.

amberwolf said:
would *what* be tough enough? the frame? the holes? the arm? can't tell what you mean. :(

Tough enough to fix the construction with just two screws at this place on the frame.
I know that it is hardly possible to determine this just from a image, it was more about an
assessment or practical knowledge from someone who also has such a frame.

amberwolf said:
neos said:
if you already know it can't go on the same side, then why ask the question about that side? :/

that makes no sense.

I hadn't paid attention to that before, I noticed it while watching the Grin GMAC installation video.

neos said:
Tough enough to fix the construction with just two screws at this place on the frame.
ah.

it might work fine. torque arms have been secured with just two bolts on other bikes, because along with the axle itself it generally makes a triangle, which can't "move" (change shape). just rmemeber it's not the bolts that are resisting the movement, the bolts are clamping two parts together and the clamping forces themselves (like friction) do the resisting.

if you just ahve bolts without compression between the parts, the bolts have to be strong enoguh *by themselves* to handle all the forces involved, which may mean needing bigger bolt holes and thicker bolts, and/or better materials for the bolts than the typical stuff.

My idea is to make a torque plate out of some plastic and send it to a company that can use this template
in order to make a plate out of steel or aluminum.

Does anyone have experiences with such companies and know whether this would be accepted?

The Grin torque arm is out of series 7000 aluminum. Is there a reason?
Is steel preferable?

neos said:
The Grin torque arm is out of series 7000 aluminum. Is there a reason?
Is steel preferable?

7075 aluminum is stronger than most unhardened steels. It’s 1/3 the weight, less corrosion prone, and a lot easier to machine, which are probably the reasons why it’s used in this instance. Something like 4130 chromoly would be tougher and more abrasion-resistant, but not stronger unless it were heat-treated.

Back