Magic Pie internal sine controller

cwah said:
How does it compare to a BPM? I suppose it has much less torque? And it doesn't freewheel either
I have never used a BPM so I can't say but I personally don't need more torque, ymmv. You can either have freewheel or regenerative brakes. I don't really care about freewheel and wanted regenerative brakes to save on brake pads. That and I don't want to worry about clutches and gears. Everyone has different needs/wants. Cheers!

eBikeWannaBe said:
I finally got my bike on the road today with the new MP4. This is my first ebike so take this with a grain of salt but the MP4 is very quiet. I found the torque caused me a bit of issue when hand signalling, it tended to pull the bike to one side. The control seems a bit digital but it pulls quite nicely and handles the hills I was worried about fine.

I read on another forum that the winding's and hall sensors were changed from the MP3. I sure hope that doesn't effect changing to an external controller down the road

What other forum did you here about windings any more details

ace17365 said:
eBikeWannaBe said:
I finally got my bike on the road today with the new MP4. This is my first ebike so take this with a grain of salt but the MP4 is very quiet. I found the torque caused me a bit of issue when hand signalling, it tended to pull the bike to one side. The control seems a bit digital but it pulls quite nicely and handles the hills I was worried about fine.

I read on another forum that the winding's and hall sensors were changed from the MP3. I sure hope that doesn't effect changing to an external controller down the road

What other forum did you here about windings any more details
This one: http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5334.0

cwah said:
how's the regen braking power from the controller? Is it possible to have it set to max for good braking?
I run 12s of lipo and have not been able to get regen working. GM Canada sent me a new controller which did not fix the problem. From my reading on the GM forum it sounds like everyone else has regen working quite well. As far as setting the level of regen you would need to buy the programming cable and use the GM software to change it. I did try using the GM programming software and I can tell other parameter changes worked but still no regen. GM Canada has offered to swap out the whole wheel and I suppose I'll try that next. I really like the MP4 but not having the regen is ticking me off.

eBikeWannaBE.....you know you can run up to 14s lipo (60v max) on your MP 4, right?

Though your only using 12s (50.4v), what level speeds are you getting? Did you go with the thumb or twist throttle?

The internal rear hub sine-wave controller interest me, though I need a level speed of @ least 30mph/48kpm...hence my question & I'm assuming you are running on a 26" rim on the rear with a 52t front chainring, and a 11t (small) high in the rear?

Thanks.

kauaikit said:
eBikeWannaBE.....you know you can run up to 14s lipo (60v max) on your MP 4, right?

Though your only using 12s (50.4v), what level speeds are you getting? Did you go with the thumb or twist throttle?

The internal rear hub sine-wave controller interest me, though I need a level speed of @ least 30mph/48kpm...hence my question & I'm assuming you are running on a 26" rim on the rear with a 52t front chainring, and a 11t (small) high in the rear?

Thanks.
I'm running 12s because the Turnigy 5000mAh 4S1P hardcase Lipo were the best deal I could find. I thought about getting some 2s packs to up the voltage. My old beater is fast enough with the 12s powering it. I got the twist throttle. I can get just over 40k with a 26inch rim. With 14s you might hit 48k.

Sorry to be a little late to the party on this thread, it’s a busy life! I would like to answer to a few posts I briefly read here.

About the sound. So far after riding it for a few months now I find it impossible to hear the motor. Any tire noise on the road or wind in my ears makes it impossible to determine if it even makes a sound. I guess I would have to flip it over and spin it up to try a test without any external noise interfering but I have not done this yet. To me it seems unnecessary as when riding the bike I have never heard the motor. The loudest pies we have ever had were the MP1 and MP2. The MP3 was quieter and now in my opinion and that of many others the MP4 is silent.

About the design. It does look quite similar to the design of the MP3. The hole for the controller is a different size and the wiring and halls are different. As far as I know it is impossible to use the MP4 sine wave controller with an MP3 even if it was mounted externally. Even the Magic Pie 4 Vector Sine Wave Controller does not work in the Vector Smart Pie motor as the firmware is different. Why it does not work I don't know.

About the bearings. I have heard people say there are bearing issues and seen threads on this But I can honestly say they would have to be rare. I have sold hundreds maybe even over a thousand MP3 kits, I would have to figure it out. Out of all the MP3 kits I have sold I have only once ever had a bearing issue. It was in the early MP3 motors. I sent the guy new bearings and never heard from him since.If anyone does need bearings for the MP3 I have had a set sitting on the shelf here for years with no need for them. I have also already sold hundreds of MP4 and SP4 kits and still no bearing issues. There were a few issues as well with the early MP3 motors of the motors not spinning perfectly concentric, but again this was an issue with the early MP3 motors.

About the controllers. After selling hundreds of MP4 and SP4 kits I have only had one controller fail. It could have been the end user, but still i replaced it. There have been a few issues with people not being able to connect with the controller via USB cable. But most of these have been resolved by a recently released USB driver. I have replaced one controller where someone could not connect but replacing did not help. I believe it's more of a windows issue. Another issue where someone could not adjust the regen, replacing this controller did not help either. Because of controller issues with the early MP3 controllers when the MP4 came out I ordered 20 extra controllers for both MP4 and SP4. I have no use for them so if anyone wants to experiment I have them on sale for half price (less then 90 dollars) to cut my inventory down. I don't need them.

To summarize. The MP4 and SP4 are top notch high quality and reliable motors. If there are issues they are not very common or I am unaware of them. I was given the opportunity to be the first GM dealer to release these kits. I sold several hundred before any other dealer even had them. So even if there were issues with the early kits they are minimal at best.

Gary

So you are saying that the MP4 controller is top notch apart that regen isn't working or impossible to set?

What is the MP4 ability to resist again rain? Can it be parked outside all the time?

And what's the peak output and continuous output of the controller? Any way it can reach 55km/h on 20" wheel?

Thanks

cwah said:
So you are saying that the MP4 controller is top notch apart that regen isn't working or impossible to set?

What is the MP4 ability to resist again rain? Can it be parked outside all the time?

And what's the peak output and continuous output of the controller? Any way it can reach 55km/h on 20" wheel?

Thanks

If you bought a kit from me and the regen is not working send it back, I'll send you another one that does work. Its no problem at all.

I have experienced no water issues from any customer at this point.

Peaks around 1500 and continuous is over 1000.

Considering a 26 inch wheel will not go 50kph a 20 inch wheel rotating at the same RPM will not go 55 kph.

I guess that is the problem with trying to be honest and revealing all issues I have experience up to this point. To some If i have one motor in several hundred that the regen didn't work they must all be bad. I still consider this minor considering it was from the first release of these motors.

Gary

I was thinking about the speed for the 20 inch.

I guess you could take the speed on a 26 inch wheel and do something like this to calculate the speed of a 20 inch wheel. Lets say the 26 inch goes 45 KPH.

26 x 3.14 = 81.64

20 x 3.14 = 62.8

62.8 / 81.64 = .769

.769 x 45 = 34.605

The 20 inch could possible go 34.605 KPH.

I’ve had a few cold ones so I’m not sure I’m thinking clearly but it seems right.

I’m sure if I’m off base I will hear about it :)

Gary

cwah said:

Thanks

The Regen issue you are referring to was resolved. It was a faulty brake lever.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5639.msg32038#msg32038

Gary

what is difference between magic pie 4 and magic pie 5 or latest version ?

Back