Meanwell clone- AD488.3-400W power supply mods

fechter said:
It probably went over the 63v rating and blew. Luckily, if that one goes, there's a good chance everything else will be OK. Just replace the cap. Even with a higher voltage rated cap, I wouldn't go over 60v or so. The output diodes will be next.
It's possible your 10k trimmer was set to less than 10k and/or the main adjuster wasn't all the way down to start.

You can use an ohmmeter to make sure the trimmer is at the maximum value before powering on. Make sure the main adjustment is all the way down to start. After powering on, you can tweak things gradually. Sorry if I didn't make this clear the first time. Ideally, you want the trimmer set so the main adjuster can go to maximum and be just under 63v.

Yes, that make sense. No need to excuse, this is a great learning process for me. ☺ I ordered a 1000uF 63V cap and will try again when it arrive. Thank you for your assistance.

Measure, or determine resistor value. (1.5k?)
Set pot value to same.
Important: Use center and either outside leg of pot (picture shows you used both outside legs = wrong!)
(Which outside leg? One raises value with clockwise, other lowers value with clockwise.)

Attach volt meter.
Turn oem pot to highest possible voltage, with no load attached. (not above 63V!)
Adjust new pot to desired max voltage.

Compare method for R35 (1k?) Amp control review. (remove pot, test resistor value, set pot to same, reattach using center and outside leg used to set preliminary value )

Your pictures wash out color, making visual resistor value determination impossible.

The PSU is OOS. The seller has a similar one but costs $5 more -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-220V-TO-DC-48V-7-5A-Regulated-Transformer-Power-Supply-For-LED-Strip-HG-/301552917321?hash=item4635f45b49:g:crYAAOSwpDdU-HLb

Would this be a good substitute?

shinyballs said:
The PSU is OOS. The seller has a similar one but costs $5 more -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110V-220V-TO-DC-48V-7-5A-Regulated-Transformer-Power-Supply-For-LED-Strip-HG-/301552917321?hash=item4635f45b49:g:crYAAOSwpDdU-HLb

Would this be a good substitute?
No, likely similar, but unconfirmed ... for mods

Do an ebay search for 48V 8.3A 400w

Then,
Confirm, by pictures, " AD488.3-400W"
Cheapest several indicate same item. One picture (upside down) shows as proper item.
AD488.3-400W
AD488.3-400W
AD488.3-400W
AD488.3-400W
AD488.3-400W
AD488.3-400W
AD488.3-400W

Test mods, so far ...

Could I use this psu with it's stock configuration to charge my 48V 15Ah lipo pack? Or will I need to lower the amperage so the charger doesn't overheat? I am new to meanwell type chargers, is there an info/introductory thread somewhere?

It will probably need the mod. If you're running 16s, you need around 58.4V.
Even if you are running 15s and can make the right voltage, these supplies are likely to overheat if run at the stock current limit for a long period of time. Reducing the current so the power rating isn't exceeded will make them live longer.

I run mine at 5A, which is quite a bit below the rating. It barely gets warm. I could probably run it a bit higher but I don't want to push it.

fechter said:
It will probably need the mod. If you're running 16s, you need around 58.4V.
Even if you are running 15s and can make the right voltage, these supplies are likely to overheat if run at the stock current limit for a long period of time. Reducing the current so the power rating isn't exceeded will make them live longer.

I run mine at 5A, which is quite a bit below the rating. It barely gets warm. I could probably run it a bit higher but I don't want to push it.

Ok thanks. So this is probably the best option for this price if I wanted to charge my 48V/12S pack quickly?

400w / 50.4V = 7.9A
At 50.4V (12x 4.20V) you want to keep charge rate ≤7.9A.

Faster Charging?
(For packs not needing BMS equalization cycle)
The slow, frustrating delay in charging is the final CV (Constant Voltage) topping charge as the Amps slowly reduce down to nothing.
Sometimes, higher Amps reduces the charging time a frustratingly minimal amount.
There is a way to reduce charging time with additional benefit ...
Charging at 4.20V 7.5A but stopping charge when Amp input declines to 2A? or 1A? greatly reduces charging time and results in a life saving charged voltage (Inexpensive Volt Amp meter required)
With cells at desired voltage, add 4.20V per cell adjusted charger and note amps, use this as amp termination point.

1. For notable longer life, with minimal loss of usable capacity, charging each cell to lower than 4.20V is recommended.
. a. Charging to 4.10V is generally accepted as doubling cycle life with a marginal capacity loss
. b. Charging to 4.15V seems to be the optimal charge voltage (with many LiPo types), producing notable longer life with minimal capacity loss.
(Still looking for dedicated adjustable low Amp disconnect - to automatically terminate charge when Amps decline to desired point)
If you have a standard "trip" (10 miles to work >> 10 miles back to home), an electrical timer could finish (terminate) charge at an optimal charge voltage? Monitor and adjust as cells "age".

2. ≤.5C charge rate is the typical highest "recommended" charge rate (7.5A for 15Ah pack)
. a. Higher charge rates have been demonstrated to notably reduce cycle life
. b. Charging at lower charge rates, when rapid charging not needed, is recommended

Will determine "add resistor to R35 for reduced amps" ... values and results.

DrkAngel said:
≤.5C charge rate is the typical highest "recommended" charge rate (7.5A for 15Ah pack)
Higher charge rates have been demonstrated to notably reduce cycle life

This depends greatly on the battery. Some lipo is rated for a 5C charge rate and does a 1C rate without heating up or effecting cycle life.

Baron said:
Ok thanks. So this is probably the best option for this price if I wanted to charge my 48V/12S pack quickly?

It should work. What capacity are the cells?

fechter said:
Baron said:

I use 9 hobbyking hardcase 4S 5Ah lipos for a total of 12S 3P, or 48V 15Ah. I think they should be able to handle higher charge rates but I will take your advice and stick to 5A with this charger.

I usually charge to 4.10 per cell but I will probably want to try 4.15 if I go with this charger.

Baron said:
fechter said:
Baron said:

I use 9 hobbyking hardcase 4S 5Ah lipos for a total of 12S 3P, or 48V 15Ah. I think they should be able to handle higher charge rates but I will take your advice and stick to 5A with this charger.

I usually charge to 4.10 per cell but I will probably want to try 4.15 if I go with this charger.
Spec.
Minimum Capacity: 5000mAh
Configuration: 4S1P / 14.8v / 4Cell
Constant Discharge: 20C
Peak Discharge (20sec): 30C
Max Charge Rate: 5c
Pack Weight: 528g
Pack Size: 139 x 45 x 44mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge plug: 4mm Bullet-connector

Those packs will probably take up to 2C (30A) without noticeable reduction in cycle life, but it is about PSU anyway, you may not enjoy it working for long with >400W output. You may up to 6A in your 12s case, its about (nice conservative) 300W at CC-CV knee. :wink:

I agree. At 12s you can probably run 6-7A. Just monitor the case temperature the first time to see how much heating you get.

Recently i bought a meanwell rsp1500-15 from a member here.
Can i alter the voltage <30v?

15V MeanWell >>> 30V?
Unlikely ...
1st - Check capacitor marked voltages - likely 25V limit?
MeanWells often have redundant regulation, Zener diode etc.?

30v tops my charger input but can work at 24v also.
If it isn't possible i can keep it @17v

Will post pictures later the inside.

Attachments

• 20160321_165055.jpg
    20160321_165055.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 3,274
  • 20160321_165006.jpg
    20160321_165006.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 3,274
A bit off topic, I'm looking for a similar psu but ~3V or ~24 adjustable voltage at 6A continuous charge for my 20s Panasonic PF pack. I will series 3 or 4 ~20V Lenovo/HP laptop power supplies at 5.3A(tested,max) and add a psu to make the voltage 83V. This will used as a compact/low cost, on board charger on the bike.
Any suggestions?

shinyballs said:
A bit off topic, I'm looking for a similar psu but ~3V or ~24 adjustable voltage at 6A continuous charge for my 20s Panasonic PF pack. I will series 3 or 4 ~20V Lenovo/HP laptop power supplies at 5.3A(tested,max) and add a psu to make the voltage 83V. This will used as a compact/low cost, on board charger on the bike.
Any suggestions?

That should work. I'd recommend diodes reverse biased on the outputs of the bricks to prevent reverse voltage. Normally you wouldn't need the diodes but in the event of abnormally low pack voltage or some kind of misconnection/short, it could save the bricks.

Also, don't stack the bricks on top of each other or the ones in the middle will cook. Best if laid out side-by-side with a little space between them. Even better if glued to a sheet of aluminum. If you need to be more compact, you could stack them with 1/4" or so of space between them and use a fan to blow air through the gaps.

shinyballs said:
Any suggestions?

This is similar to my setup, (thought mine is heavy) 3x 400w HP servers supplies with DC grounds detached (floating) and a meanwell 24v clone with a v3 fechter limiter board to prevend hiccup mode. The server supplies put out 12v each and then the mw clone does the rest to 54.4v to charge 16s lifepo4 to 3.4v each.

Another thing ive been using recently which though potentially less efficient is a 900w stepup dcdc attached to the 36v series servers as it has a nice digital read out, cc/cv and amp limit and according to my GT wattmeter is fairly accurate. Gives me piece of mind that the voltage isn't creeping up which happens with the mw clone and limiter board (I don't know why).

Tried to power it with the esp120 which is 51.4v 3kw capable but I think maybe having the input and output voltages so close caused it to behave erratically where it would ramp up the amps and then drop to zero repeatedly. so I am back to the 3 HP 12v supplies again. The DCDC 900w are £16 on ebay and are small and light and can be paralleled for more amps. one idea im entertaining is having the heavy server supplies at each end of the commute (as I have a few of them) and boxing the DC DC converter which will travel on the moped with one emergency 12v supply. the idea being the DCDC can take 12-60v so it very versatile and can be set to output nearly any voltage to 120v above the supply one.

Thanks!
I will just go with a ~5v psu because of size and price. The Meanwell ELN and DRA series have adjustable current and voltage.
http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/DRA-60-12.shtml
http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwell/power-supply-eln.shtml

Deciding which one...

Be aware a 5V voltage differential regulating power supply will not cover the required range.

4 x 20V + 4V = >80-84V

20 x 4.2V = 84v - charged
20 x 3.6V = 72V - discharged

Recommend

3 x 20V + 24V = <72-84V

would this supply work like a meanwell?

ill ask because i want to use it for a RC Charger. A Junsi 4010.

i tried a meanwell(24v) but when iam charging, the meanwell begins to lower the voltage down to 9-10v.
sometimes for a second below 9v and then my charger stops with DC input failure.

i dont know if this clone acts in the same way.

btw: this meanwell works great (3 in series) to charge a 20s battery.
but in "singlemode" it wont work as i have expected.

MeanWell S-150-24, and similar 150w 24V, will drop voltage severely to a "fault" condition if draw is more than ~8A.

ahhh really? so theres no current limiting, it loweres the voltage?
strange. never heard before. really. i had alot supplys in the past years. but they all where from servers.
loud, but powerfull. all these supplys reducing/limiting amps.

thank you. so something learned again. :)

Back