Measuring individual cell voltage via female jst-xh?

I've got a 14S (4S+4s+4s+2s) 15Ah (3x5Ah) LiPo battery that is paralleled together via the balancing taps. The parallel harnesses I bought have 6 female inputs but I only use 3 of them at one time. The male ends of the parallel harnesses terminate in a 14S jst-xh male port that is connected to my BMS.

What I would like to do for peace of mind is to occasionally measure the individual cell voltages with one of those 1s-8s voltage/alarms or a CellLog. I've tried a few times with the multimeter, but I always get nervous about shorting out those tiny jst pins. I thought it would be easiest just to measure the voltages using the extra female jst-xh ports so I don't have to disconnect my BMS (which always is an endeavor because of the tight jst port and the fact that apparently it needs some special order of connections to turn on that I haven't nailed down yet).

Short of making my own male to male jst-xh adapters (they don't exist prefab and I really don't want to solder jst-xh), I was wondering if anyone had a better idea of how to measure the cell voltages safely and easily through the female jst-xh ports?

To avoid the short issue, use breadboard jumpers. They plug in perfectly in the female pin slots. Then you can just make sure to keep those 2 ends aparts and you'll be short-free. I usually use alligator clips on one end and then stick the other end into the JST-XH plug.

Amazon - Bread Board Jumpers

Whoops I guess I meant the male ports. I always get confused when the pins stick in one port but the other port sticks in the one with the pins!

These guys:

FemaleJST_XH_5PIN.jpg

Yes, leftover parallel taps are perfect to monitor w/ a medic or checker. I always identified by what the plugs do, not the pins?

You could:
1- buy some xh plug sets- the male ones use a crimped pin. Kinda a pita but not too bad. Cut crimp and install one wire at a time! :wink:

2- buy a jst balance extender from buddy rc- cut in half and splice and solder the male end on there.

Both would require cutting off the female plug. 6 1/2 dozen depending on wanting to solder or crimp?

edit// maybe you'd prefer buying 4 extentions http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apex-RC-Products-5-JST-XH-4S-Balance-Plugs-W-6-150mm-Wire-Leads-1082-/221529205128?hash=item33942b6988:g:MDQAAOSwQPlV8Fmw and soldering/ heatshrinking the 14 wires, but I'd opt for the new crimped plug ends, (at least partially cuz I already have them and the crimper) http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Sets-Sales-JST-XH-4S-5Pin-2-54mm-LiPo-Balance-Connector-Plug-Housing-With-Pins-/282022094825?hash=item41a9d3a7e9:g:pnAAAOSwmtJXbt7k
Pa-09 are great crimpers but the cheaper ones probably work fine too.

Back