4s Lipo balance connector replacement question

liamcaff

1 kW
Hi guys,

So I was balancing my 20s 2p 82V LIPO pack the other day going through each of the 10 individual Lipo batteries with balancer 1 by 1. I stupidly lost concentration and ended up with 4 separate balance connectors unplugged.

All of the balance connectors are hooked up to a parallel port for monitoring...

Long story short, I short-circuited two of the balance connectors. I don't think I damaged the batteries themselves, but I did melt a male and female JST-XH connector - see images.

So I'm wondering what the best solution is? Do I cut off the melted connectors and hand solder on replacements? Or do I need a crimper? Or should I buy a pre-crimped/soldered lead and just solder the new leads to the old ones?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

Liam

Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 13.38.11.png

Screen Shot 2014-04-06 at 13.36.15.png

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-JST-XH-connector-plug-Male-Female-Crimps-Lipo-4s-Balance-Extension-/230777448177?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item35bb6866f1
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lipo-Balance-Lead-repairing-battery-pack-4s-JST-XH-male-4-cell-14-8V-22AWG-/231134459655?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item35d0aff707

Liam do you need new males or females, I have a load of females with wire attached you are welcome to.

I would chop a 4s extension lead in half. Producing both the male and female bit's with wires attached. Then do the fix by joining the wires. Option three. About 99p.

Tench said:
Liam do you need new males or females, I have a load of females with wire attached you are welcome to.

Hi Simon,

That would be great!

Ideally I would need maybe 2 wired males and 2 wired females - that would leave me with a spare of each. In the close up image you might be able to see that the male and female connectors have fused/melted together...

I seem to be able to source wired males on ebay but not females, so you'd be getting me out of a hole!

I'm assuming I can just solder the leads together? Or do you think I'd need to use some sort of adapter terminal?

Cheers!

L

friendly1uk said:
I would chop a 4s extension lead in half. Producing both the male and female bit's with wires attached. Then do the fix by joining the wires. Option three. About 99p.

Great idea!

That's what I do too, when I damage a plug one way or the other. Those little connectors are just too small for me to see and solder very easy. Old and not good for close work, even with the bifocals.

So I just cut plugs off something, a dead pack, an extension, and solder the wires. Much easier for me.

I’ve been dealing with many JST plugs/extensions lately and would like to share a couple things.

1st - don’t bother with anything except Silicone insulation wire. That PVC crap is stiff, skanky and in the case of colors usually backwards from what you might assume. Red = negative, Green = positive for example.

2nd - don’t settle for anything that doesn’t use a sturdy PCB on the male? (pins) end of the connector as hopefully seen in my fuzzy photo:
photoJST.JPG
Too bad you’re across the pond but these are the best JST extension deal going in NA, imo…
http://www.buddyrc.com/12-4s-jst-xh-extension-cable.html

Dealing with new female contacts requires a crimper but it's not too bad with a little practice.

My situation is for series wiring 2x4S bricks into 8S plugs. Easier than it may seem as I merely bought unassembled 8S (9 pin) female plugs and swap-over the 4S female contacts in proper order for 8S plug.
photo.JPG
Labels and work very carefully or things can/will vaporize in a flash....

Thanks for the great tips!

Yeah Ypedal - it's a pity I'm on the wrong side of the pond for lots of things bike related! I might order some of those higher quality JST extension cables down the line when I'm replacing my current LIPO battery pack. Was actually looking to order a few Turnigy Lipo 5AH 20-30C 4s packs just to have on standby but am finding it impossible to source over here... And HK are always out of stock.... Even if they were in stock I'm not sure if I could get them delivered with new laws..... sigh... I'm sure I'll figure something out!

Cheers for all the advice!

L

Ykick said:
I’ve been dealing with many JST plugs/extensions lately and would like to share a couple things.

1st - don’t bother with anything except Silicone insulation wire. That PVC crap is stiff, skanky and in the case of colors usually backwards from what you might assume. Red = negative, Green = positive for example.

2nd - don’t settle for anything that doesn’t use a sturdy PCB on the male? (pins) end of the connector as hopefully seen in my fuzzy photo:
View attachment 1
Too bad you’re across the pond but these are the best JST extension deal going in NA, imo…
http://www.buddyrc.com/12-4s-jst-xh-extension-cable.html

Dealing with new female contacts requires a crimper but it's not too bad with a little practice.

My situation is for series wiring 2x4S bricks into 8S plugs. Easier than it may seem as I merely bought unassembled 8S (9 pin) female plugs and swap-over the 4S female contacts in proper order for 8S plug.

Labels and work very carefully or things can/will vaporize in a flash....

I don't have any male plugs mate, I recently bought 20 sets of 4s leads and plugs, I used all the male ends making the balance harness for my new pack, so I have 20 wired female plugs going spare, think I have a few 6s too!
If you want some of these I will send you some but I cant help out with any male ends, sorry.

Chopping a few extensions up does seem a good idea, much easier to solder and heat shrink wires than plugs.

[/pre]
ATTACH]

These are awesome for just connecting smaller wires and I use on my hall sense wires too.

Attachments

• ideal connector.JPG
    ideal connector.JPG
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,071
wineboyrider said:
[/pre]
ATTACH]

These are awesome for just connecting smaller wires and I use on my hall sense wires too.

Ah yeah - I remember these from my home automation job days. These are still used by telephone companies here to link phone wires. Good thinkings. Can't remember what they are called but I remember you push in the 2 wires you want to connect and a liquid seals and hardens over the connection.

Tench said:
I don't have any male plugs mate, I recently bought 20 sets of 4s leads and plugs, I used all the male ends making the balance harness for my new pack, so I have 20 wired female plugs going spare, think I have a few 6s too!
If you want some of these I will send you some but I cant help out with any male ends, sorry.

Chopping a few extensions up does seem a good idea, much easier to solder and heat shrink wires than plugs.

Thanks Simon,
I just ordered a few extension cables from a UK ebay seller so you may as well hang on to your female ends - you never know when you'll red them :)

And no splicing!
I get em here in the states at a Home Depot or Lowe's, but a lot of hardware or electronic stores sell them. I usually buy 50 to 100 at a time, because I'm always repairing jst connection wires and I can't solder for crap.
:?

wineboyrider said:
And no splicing!
I get em here in the states at a Home Depot or Lowe's, but a lot of hardware or electronic stores sell them. I usually buy 50 to 100 at a time, because I'm always repairing jst connection wires and I can't solder for crap.
:?

Let me know if you remember the name of them :)

Back