Meeting for Victorian E-bikers in Melbourne.

Ok gents!
Lets get together with our e-bikes somewhere in Melbourne for a get together and BBQ! If we can do it before Christmas , that would be even better.
Lets not just talk about this, but actually do it!
Would be cool to see everyone's e-bikes in the flesh and share ideas!
C'mon guys! Any takers?
FYI, I personally would prefer a Saturday, Sunday's are out for me.

I can hitch my trailer up and bring both my trike and MTB.
:lol: :idea:

Im in for a sat day.

can't be too close to the evening, i usually do event photography or go out and have a couple (dozen) drinks.

Ok Hayden, that sounds good! was thinking the same thing myself. Earlier in the day, a BBQ lunch or even a ride then a coffee stop? Wrap up by mid arvo. Possibly the 16th Dec?
Will need to rely on you Melbourne guys for a good central? venue, as I will have to come down from Ballarat, so not familiar with good places to meet.

I just posted a review of the ride I did on Sunday on the photo forum - it would be ideal for a get together/ride/coffee or lunch in Olinda.

Only potential hiccup is it's not exactly central if you're coming from Ballarat. Waddayarekon?

The 16th would suit me. 8th & 9th are not possible due to a wine show I'm involved with.....other than that I'm pretty flexible with weekend time.

16th is a Sunday.

Rob, I thought Sundays were no good?

Bugger! Thanks Mark, you're right! Musta misread the calender.:shock:
The 15th would be no good for me, well not if I value my life!
It's our 23rd wedding anniversary! :D

I could do this sunday the 16th.

Sorry Powerdog, can't do Sundays!
Might have to leave it now until the New Year.
Would really love to get together with other e-bikers!

yeah i can't seem to get time to breath at the moment either - new years for sure!

i'm very interested in your trike!

i want to start a crazy motor trike project hahah.

i'm very interested in your trike!

i want to start a crazy motor trike project hahah.

How crazy?

requiring registration crazy;)

Hmm,
Actually, the trike thing is a stepping stone.
Would really like to build a two seater, 3 wheel electric town car. Maybe something like the old Isetta, but electric!
Maybe a couple of hub motors would do the trick, as long as you can do reverse..........................

On the Melbourne meeting idea,
lets start getting a list of numbers,
Just repost with your name added to the list,
Freddyflatfoot (Rob)

[On the Melbourne meeting idea,
lets start getting a list of numbers,
Just repost with your name added to the list,
Freddyflatfoot (Rob)[/quote]
Mark

Freddyflatfoot (Rob)
Mark
Bigh (haydon)

I'm in! Powerdog a.k.a John

BiGH said:
Freddyflatfoot (Rob)
Mark
Bigh (haydon)
Powerdog (John)

I'd be interested too.

Freddyflatfoot (Rob)
Mark
Bigh (haydon)
Powerdog (John)
Rhubarb (Steve)

btw, it seems I can't post a new topic. Anyone know why? says I require "special privileges"

Steve,
Try this link, might have the answers!
BTW, if you're not sure, try the search function, or in the announcements.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=29489#29489

rhubarb said:
Freddyflatfoot (Rob)
Mark
Bigh (haydon)
Powerdog (John)
Rhubarb (Steve)
Tim

BTW, any of you gents have a local source for 20 watt MR16 lights with a ~10' beam? They seem pretty hard to find.....

Tim,
Try ledshoponline. They have 3 watt LED MR16 format globes that I'm having a look at. 10 degree beam and about 40 ' range. Sounds ideal to me and easier on the battery than a 20 watt halogen!
Another option of course, is to try an LED main light, and then a halogen for real low light situations.

I'm up for this... unfortunately i don't have a crazy ebike setup like you guys but i'm still coming if you organise something!

Freddyflatfoot (Rob)
Mark
Bigh (haydon)
Powerdog (John)
Rhubarb (Steve)
Tim
Albie
[/quote]

Now that's 7. How many more do ya reckon we can get?
BTW Albie, you are more tha welcome with your e bike.
Mine are not way out there, just moderately powered!

Freddyflatfoot said:
Tim,
Try ledshoponline. They have 3 watt LED MR16 format globes that I'm having a look at. 10 degree beam and about 40 ' range. Sounds ideal to me and easier on the battery than a 20 watt halogen!
Another option of course, is to try an LED main light, and then a halogen for real low light situations.

Thanks for the link Rob, and apologies for hijaking your thread!

Initially I was leaning towards LED's - in particular this unit which uses 3 Cree XR-E diodes to produce 200 lumens:

http://shop.ata.org.au/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16462&category_id=255

Then I came across this awesome site which has some great info. on everthing to do with bike lighting:
http://nordicgroup.us/s78/wattslumens.html

Based on the table, and the potential to achieve 1100 - 1500 lumens by over-volting a standard MR16, I figured that this was possibly the best way to go. My commute to work is only 20 minutes max, so I figured that even if it meant a rapid charge each night (& I reckon I should get a couple of days out of the batteries) it wouldn't be too much of a hassle. Even with the shortened bulb life caused by over-volting I think I'd get at least a year from a bulb.

Recently I bought a set of these from the UK and have been trying them out over the last week or so:

http://www.bicygnals.com/Bicygnals_products_Bicygnals 2.html

Overall it's not a bad product and it has some good features. I love the symmetry of the design. It has three operating modes for the main beam - on, flashing and off (with a double pulse about once a minute to remind you that the power is on when in 'off' mode). The rear light can be set to either of these settings also and there is no need to match the setting between front & rear - ie, you can have a steady main beam up front & a flashing red light at the rear.

When either light is set to flashing mode and the L/R indicator is switched on the centre light changes to a steady beam until the signal is switched off. This gives you a psuedo brake light once the turn signal goes on.

Unfortunately the indicator lights are not really bright enough to be relyed upon during the day, particularly in full sunlight. At night, the main beam is OK if you're riding where there are steet lights, but on a bike path it's not up to the job. Riding home from the Nott last friday was a challenge!

Ergonomically they would be improved by having a motorcycle type slide switch operated by your left thumb for both indicators. For e-bikes this is more of an issue than a bike without a throttle I suppose. The other thing I'm not so pleased about is that the front light bounces around a lot due to the bracket design. This makes it harder to switch on the turn signals than it should be.

From the point of view of being visible at night though, it's a great product.

Hey, I know this is late notice and all, but I've just got it into my head to do a ride tomorrow. I plan to drive to Wandin North & pick up the rail trail, ride east for about 20km through Seville, Woori Yallock & Launching Place & then on to Yarra Junction for a coffee before backtracking to Wandin North. Should be just about right for my range capability before the battery dies. If anyone wants to meet out there it should be a good ride. Planning to be at Wandin North at around 8-8.30. Give me a buzz on 0412 201 443.

Back