Mid Drives Working With Coaster Brakes

If you can't find an option for the rear brakes you could always just upgrade the front to hydraulic rim brakes https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263088445727

I'm using them on the rear of my current build, and a disk up front and tbh they out perform my disk. So maybe having a better option than you have without a rear might work well?

Grantmac said:
This seems like a bike that would do well with a small geared front hub motor instead.

Or a large geared front hub motor. Or a direct drive front hub motor. In any case, the bike seems like a poor candidate for a mid drive for multiple reasons.

I switched from a mid drive to a front hub for boring practical reasons like increased reliability and lower maintenance, and I would not consider switching back. Mid drive is more fun to play with, but front hub is much easier and cheaper to live with.

On further consideration, it seems like a front hub system is ideal for that bike. I've owned and ridden several front systems and they seem ideal for street/path riding. The added benefit is ease, cost, weight distribution and two-wheel drive. A 350w system if fairly light if you're happy with 20 mph.

2old said:
On further consideration, it seems like a front hub system is ideal for that bike. I've owned and ridden several front systems and they seem ideal for street/path riding. The added benefit is ease, cost, weight distribution and two-wheel drive. A 350w system if fairly light if you're happy with 20 mph.

I would want to go around 40 km/h (about 25 mph). With a bit of tailwind I am already able to achieve it without engine, but many times I do not have luck with the wind and if it blows hard enough to help me to these speeds I have the same wind against when going back. I know I can safely ride at these speeds and would want electric push so I am able to maintain it.

My wife is having a similar bike frame as mine, but factory built with front hub drive and it always feels frustrating when the power is cut around 20-24 km/h.

If you want >20 mph, 1000w & 48-52V will do it easily, but you need to be more safety-conscious. The other option is the front hub system from Grin.

Back