Miles' eMoulton MkII

Miles

100 TW
I'm planning an upgraded version of http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5313 , with a new motor and batteries mounted on the frame.

Progress on the model:

Attachments

• TSR5.jpg
    TSR5.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,503
Hi Miles,
I have a TSR that is identical to yours apart from caliper brakes. I will follow your thinking with great interest, I tried to investigate your previous project but got lost at the sprague clutch phase. I'll try to understand things better this time around.
Savvas.

Wheazel said:
Intresting, any special reason to change that old motor? Where are the batteries going?
I'm leaving the first bike as it is and building a new one. The Planet Ryder motor is too large to allow any but the skinniest of tyres to be fitted. I'd like to reduce the weight a bit, too.... At the moment, the plan is to hang the batteries below the lowest tube.

samsavvas said:
Hi Miles,
I have a TSR that is identical to yours apart from caliper brakes. I will follow your thinking with great interest, I tried to investigate your previous project but got lost at the sprague clutch phase. I'll try to understand things better this time around.
Hi Savvas,

I'll model everything for this one. That should make it clear.

Miles said:
recumpence said:
So, what motor and what cells?
Hi Matt,

I'll make the motor myself. Haven't decided which cells, yet.

Is this the 90mm inrunner or the bigger one you going to produce?

hmm have you think of A123 26650M1B 2500mAh cells and a powerful charger (for 20-30min charge time)? These cells are very robust and durable :)

Hello Miles....
WOW.....time to stay tuned :shock:
Do not want to bother you with lot of questions about motor/drive, would be crazy to deprive us the pleasure of discovering it in the way you prefer....
But I'd try to guess what will be the donor bike :)
....mhhh....Maybe one with a non-welded frame? :evil:
look forward to this new, hot, build...

Can't wait for this to progress! Really loved the thought and engineering that went into your previous build

Thanks Sellick.

Mark I used the Strida 100t pulley fed by a 16t driver pulley. It was all a bit of a tight fit and there was only just clearance within the frame. I'm thinking to use a 90t pulley, this time, with a 15t driver pulley. I know 15t is really pushing it for 8M belts but I want to do the experiment. So, 6:1 ratio rather than the 6.25:1 ratio there was with MkI. Have to see how the centre distance works with available belt lengths, though....

The other change to the drive is that I'll probably go with dual freewheels on the SRAM hub rather than having a crank freewheel. The ENO DUO 16t/19t is a possibility for the pedal freewheel. The motor freewheel could be the CSK35 as before or the Sickbikes ENO. The CSK35 is quite a bit heavier but silent and would probably run more truly.

Miles said:
Have to see how the centre distance works with available belt lengths, though....
A 1080mm belt (Conti) with 90t and 15t pulleys gives a C.D. of 315.14mm, the same C.D. as on the MkI but, through losing 8.5mm on the motor radius, 1.35" tyres will now fit, but not 1.5". The nearest Gates belt is 1064mm.... too small. Conti & Gates both use 1120mm but that's too long to fit within the rear triangle using 15t-90t . 15t-96t gives a C.D. of 321.30mm with a 1120mm belt, which would allow the fit of 1.5" tyres. 15t-96t would be a ratio of 6.4:1.

Miles,

What is it about the Moulton that has you going back for more instead of copying its dimensions and geometry for a DIY frame that incorporates the battery bay as an integral part of the frame. There's also the flexibility to mount the motor to run whatever tire you want. Is it to give you the ability to directly compare the real world efficiency of your motor?

Hi John,

I have another Moulton bike kicking around, for a start.... Also, you're right, this is more about the motor.

I'm half-way through my own bike design but that's a long term project. I don't want to get into frame fabrication, at the moment.

Miles said:
I don't want to get into frame fabrication, at the moment.
Understood,.
...but it could be only the rear triangle/swing arm that you need to redesign..or even just modify slightly to make life simpler with the motor/tyre/sprocket/gear ratio compromise that you are juggling.
You could have a complete replacement motorised swing arm build, that you just swap in to replace the existing one !

I considered that. It wouldn't be a trivial task to make a replacement as light and elegant as the existing one. Maybe next time? It's not as if I don't have enough projects on the go :)

Miles,

Have you considered investing in the TSR's 'day rack' and maybe getting the matching Caradice Day Bag? I reckon you could fit Cellman's small 50V triangular battery in this bag. I'm going to make a cardboard model and give it a go. It would be an elegant way to carry the battery.

Savvas.

Hi Miles,
I'm leaving the first bike as it is and building a new one. The Planet Ryder motor is too large to allow any but the skinniest of tyres to be fitted. I'd like to reduce the weight a bit, too.... At the moment, the plan is to hang the batteries below the lowest tube.
Maybe you could design and build something that fits in the dropouts, that extends the wheelbase. Then you could fit bigger tires on both bikes.

MitchJi said:
Hi Miles,
Maybe you could design and build something that fits in the dropouts, that extends the wheelbase. Then you could fit bigger tires on both bikes.
Hi Mitch,

With cantilever brakes, that would be quite a lot of work. It would be easier to change the motor and pulleys on MkI :)

Back