Motor getting hot

soldham

10 W
All right guys I got a question I've got a 200-amp continuous controller that I got from Andy over to Cloud store I was running it at 72 volts if the two hundred amp Max my motor was getting hot as hell I've got a cromotor laced into a 19 inch motorcycle rim any suggestions on why it's getting so hot also when they say 72 volts is that the max voltage or is that 72 voltage nominal and I can charge to 84 volts

72V is nominal, its 84V max.
The controller can take 200A phase, so its probably 100A battery current. Kelly controller does the same specification method of phase amps rather then battery amps.

Not normal for it to get hot, what were you doing?
Long steep hills?
Stalling the motor?

Sounds to me like you are driving the motor too hard. What does Andy say about it.

Another scenario is that it isn't wired properly, but that is for a future discussion.

Start by showing us some picture of your setup. Make sure they are clear and in focus and under 512k file size for easy uploading.

:D :bolt:

Most 72v controllers can be fed 100v, sometimes they need changing the capacitors.

If you run 20s you are perfectly safe, 24s is possible but you may have to do slight mods.

The reasons for a motor to overheat are so many, that you would have to list a complete description of your bike and its usage. First, how hot is hot? Can you keep your hand on it? Temp measure is the only reliable info. The usual equation of wheel size/weight/slope/efficiency is the answer for most case of motor overheat, but many other causes are possible. I feed my motors way above their limits, but only short bursts of acceleration, and most of my ride is in the efficiency speed zone.

Generally, try to avoid building a 120kmh bike when your average riding speed is 30, and try to avoid large wheel size with a high Kv motor. Of course, those two factors are getting more important as the riding weight increases. Mechanical friction need to be checked (rubbing brake, worn out motor bearings. Wiring and connectors must be checked too, as part of regular maintenance inspections.

wrong phase combo is what I would look at first. Especially if the controller seems extra hot too.

Back