Motor with 2x 5 wires. Dual set of halls?

dutchlincoln

100 W
Hello,
Ik have a new 8Kw chinese 13" hub motor.
There are the natural 3 fat power wires, but there are also 2 connectors with each having 5 wires.
What are these wires?
I assume at least there are 2 sets of halls, but only one have the 3 corresponding colors with the fat wires and a black/red wire. This connector tested, and indeed these are the 3 halls.
Can anyone tell me where the other connector, with presumably 3 other halls, are?
Are these spare? Maybe different timing? other degrees?
Anyone handled this?
The motor itself is a 72V 8000W "super power motor" QUANSHUN 121023 1006501

Any help very welcome.

I tried the motor on a bonestock 48V 1500w motor controller for now. It turns, but it also hums, and i have the feeling that 1/3th of the turn it isn't powered. (it intermits).
This is probably due the power that the controller can't give? (even when running free? internal resistance of the motor too low?)

can't find em...
The guy has so rediculous many post's that it takes a week to dig thru them... :D :D

No pics, no link, no info other than wheel size, just an extra set of halls...How can we have any idea of what you have? I've got a motor with dual sets of halls and 3 phase wires, but it's a 3500W rated motor. Mine runs the same rpm/volt with both sets of halls, so one must be a spare. A guy in Italy tried running the 7kw one from Kelly, and trying to get to extreme power resulted in controller issues. Mine has only 1.5 turns, so low inductance and it's a bear on controllers. My SteveO custom 36 has pushed it at 30kw peak with lots of time invested in tuning, and both motor and controller ventilated. I wouldn't try riding it with the 1500W controller, but it should be ok spinning it up no load. You'll have to spend some bucks on a good controller, if it's like the motor I have but with a wider stator.

dutchlincoln said:
Ik have a new 8Kw chinese 13" hub motor.
There are the natural 3 fat power wires, but there are also 2 connectors with each having 5 wires.

They are most probably two sets of halls. It´s very common on a big chinese electric scooters including my Erider VK2008. People from Erider say they added the second set due to the higher failure rate of the halls.

I tried the motor on a bonestock 48V 1500w motor controller for now. It turns, but it also hums, and i have the feeling that 1/3th of the turn it isn't powered. (it intermits).
This is probably due the power that the controller can't give? (even when running free? internal resistance of the motor too low?)

Most probably.

Ah, mine is a "super power motor" as well, but says 72volts 8000 watts.
Drove to work today (other set of halls work good, from previous set one hall gives a constant 2,8 volts, so probably defective..)
The scooter goes like a punch in the back, and goes 100+km/h's!!
I limited speed at 70km/h in order to keep my licence when police pulls me over...

For now, it's connected to a 2s24p headway package, but it feels like it can't give the amps that are needed.
It pulls off from a stand still, but it starts accelerating fast after rolling the first 20-30 meters. Feels like it can't provide the amps needed to get rolling...
Havn't measured it yet.
Will this be better with a 72V 60Ah A123 pouch sell package? I assume LiPo can handle more instant power? As fas as i know, LiPo has the most dense power/volume ratio, so the lightest and smallest package?

Man, the thing really flies like a rocket, and drives very smooth!

Will take some nice pics when my project is in a further state.

dutchlincoln said:
For now, it's connected to a 2s24p headway package, but it feels like it can't give the amps that are needed.

You mean 2p24s, right? While the largest Headway cell is 15AH (IIRC), the continuous current will be around 4C, which is way too high for an average lifepo4 chemistry. The voltage sag will be enormous.

Will this be better with a 72V 60Ah A123 pouch sell package? I assume LiPo can handle more instant power?

The LiPo has definitely the best current/size/capacity ratio, but for a such machine I would definitely prefer pack made of large lifepo4 cells and at least 60Ah capacity.

Back