Mxus or Cro witch is best for regen?

broke

100 W
Hello guys a friend of mine wants to buy me the best motor for regen so he can test it.( free motor)
It has to be a hub motor.
what do you guys think of a torque wind Mxus? witch one is for low end torque ? Or a Cromotor? or the cheaper gt4000 motor?
What would be the best motor to get the most regen from at 100 rpms in a 26inch bike tire. (so maybe 10 mph)
Any help would be great thanks.

I don't think the differences would be appreciable, it depends also about how the controller manage the regeneration.

I recommend to read this brief analysis

http://www.ecospeed.com/regenbraking.pdf

How good of a friend? The Cromotor is worth more, so that's the obvious choice, But if he's a good friend, show him the link Broke posted before wasting his money.

There just isn't much energy available in regen on a bicycle. There are a lot of reasons for that, and that PDF covers a few of them in great detail.

There's been a lot of research done on it and he can dig through these forums for more info. 10% is extremely optimistic. 5% is a lot more normal for people who ride hills and have frequent stops. Regen is far more usefull as an electric brake than any energy recovery system

I am using regen the least as possible with my cromotors. That is because I ride them close to their heat limit, and like to give them a chance to cool down. When you ride high power with a fast motor, you need a small diameter wheel and a big controller to use regen reliably. Then, regen is a good addition for emergency braking or slippery surfaces, but good brakes are much better most of the time.

I have the MXUS3000 3T "Fast Wind" motor in a 20" wheel... I have so much torque available that the bike is almost scary. Also, regen is very powerful as well, which is easily setup in the Max-E controller.

For the price, I'd say the MXUS 3T motor can't be beat. I cruise at 45mph (on a closed race track in Mexico, of course) and the motor and controller only get warm, not hot.

Drunkskunk said:
How good of a friend? The Cromotor is worth more, so that's the obvious choice, But if he's a good friend, show him the link Broke posted before wasting his money.

There just isn't much energy available in regen on a bicycle. There are a lot of reasons for that, and that PDF covers a few of them in great detail.

There's been a lot of research done on it and he can dig through these forums for more info. 10% is extremely optimistic. 5% is a lot more normal for people who ride hills and have frequent stops. Regen is far more usefull as an electric brake than any energy recovery system

I constantly get 10-13% regen, I live in hilly area and do most of braking with regen. Also have kelly which can regen down to almost 5 kmh.

Different winds of the same model motor are capable of the same torque. and therefore same braking torque from regen, while producing the same heat (assuming the same amount of copper). The Cromotor has an 11% wider stator and magnet working area, so it's going to be capable of a bit more torque both in forward and during regen. In all cases a smaller wheel will give any given motor more forward thrust as well as braking force.

That's not the whole story though, because different controllers have different regen current limits. Most of the cheaper controllers will have fixed regen current limits, which generally results in greater braking force with slower wind motors. I say "generally", because with simple modification or program changes the controller can be fooled into allowing more current during regen and give more force braking force for the fast wind motor. More advanced controllers are have greater tuning options that equalize the different windings of the same motor.

The bottom line answer is it depends and it is mostly controller dependent with the Cromotor having a bit of an edge. If you have to contend with long downhill grades, then you've got long uphill climbs too, and regardless of the motor you choose put the smallest diameter wheel you can live with on that hubbie.

Back