My birthday a couple months ago sucked.

Link

1 MW
Didn't do anything, didn't get any presents, basically a regular old day.

However...for once, I got what I asked for (albeit rather belated).

DSCN1335-1.jpg

:)

Where's the power cord?

Wait till you turn 50, that birthday really sucks.

Nice dog though. I definitely prefer the company of the worst dog to most people. Dogs don't lie, and you can't lie to them. What dogs have taught me really has helped me handle people. Calm dominance beats all the shouting in the world.

I was thinkin just yesterday, that my next dog should be a collie. Smart dogs are da shizzy.

Train your best friend well... and consider getting pet health-insurance (surgery is expensive).

TPA said:
Where's the power cord?

Disguised as a kibble bag plugged into my wallet. But then again, I probably spend 5x or more on my own food, easily. 'Specially since he's a fatty and is on a diet. Poor little guy's been moved around a few places and got too many treats with too little exercise, so he needs to shed 15lbs+. :(

He really needs a friend of his own species, though...

dogman said:
Wait till you turn 50, that birthday really sucks.

I'll save my mid-life crisis for then, I guess. :wink:

TylerDurden said:
Train your best friend well... and consider getting pet health-insurance (surgery is expensive).

Yeah, I'm just worried he might have hip dysplasia. Collies aren't supposed to be very prone to it (not to mention he was originally from one of the #1 collie breeders in the US, IIRC) and, if he does, it isn't too severe, but that extra weight isn't helping. Least I also happen to need the workout. *stretch* I'm at the opposite of the spectrum, though; in true nerd fashion, I atrophy instead of gain. :?

Excuse the fact that my sister doesn't really know how to take good pics with a digital camera...
DSCN1336-1.jpg

DSCN1346.jpg

DSCN1347.jpg

Zoot Katz said:
What's your new friend's name?

Finley.

I figured since it wasn't something stupid and he already responded to it, I'd leave it alone. :p

Imagine your listening to some music on headphones and a violent killer is breaking into your house. A dog will try to warn you, and if the criminal gets in the dog will fight him to the death to protect you.

A cat? he will hide until after the guy has hit you over the head with a baseball bat and LEFT, and then...he'll come out to see if you spilled some food on the floor.

No matter how poor and ugly you are (me), a dog will truly love you.

spinningmagnets said:
Imagine your listening to some music on headphones and a violent killer is breaking into your house. A dog will try to warn you, and if the criminal gets in the dog will fight him to the death to protect you.

THIS fuzzball? I doubt it, LOL. Unless the hypothetical intruder is deathly allergic to waggy tails. First thing he does whenever he meets someone new is see if they're a potential source of food. :roll:

And WTF is that thing on the left? :lol:

My luck's horrible.

He's at the vet. Suspects food poisoning. Had to carry him to even get him in the car.

:cry:

Aww man-

Sucks. We've been dealing with food reactions now for the past 9 months. The unholiest smells and dispeptic expressions imaginable. Dogs are the perfect species, save for the fact that despite their olfactory powers, they cannot tell the difference between good substantive nutrition and bad.

Cackalacka said:
Dogs are the perfect species, save for the fact that despite their olfactory powers, they cannot tell the difference between good substantive nutrition and bad.
I'm waiting for the day that they cross a dog with Parrot, to get a dog that lives as long as a human and can tell you what is making them sick or hurt.

Good luck with the dog Link... I would visit mine each day it was in hospital, it was healthy for both of us.

Pretty much all dog food is made of stuff that would make a human puke. We've had our problems over the years, often triggered by a dogs shit eating.

Other, older dogs, developed allergies to the grains in the kibble as they got older. Look for a rice based kibble if he continues to react to the current feed. Start by tossing the bag that's open now, sometimes you just get a rancid bag. And try to buy the food in a place that doesn't have it sitting too long.

Yeah, I'm probably going to toss the current open can/bag of food and his bone. New stuff < vet bill. :?

in regard to an earlier respondent's rejoinder,
about his own turning of fifty years of age:

No, it did not suck, that birthday.
Philosophy, in two parts, fresh for this thread,
composed right here and now:

To the earlier respondent,

Fifty does not suck. Fifty is the age of acceptance.
Forty is the dawn of the day coming of acceptance.
Thirty is the rising of the sun; all seems well.
Twenty is the black of night; as inky as a well.
Ten is the age of wonder; innocence has not been lost.
One is the time of life, in bloom, forever, central, you are the boss.

DOG

IN THE BEGINNING
there was man, and then fire, and then great feasts of flesh to be eaten.
Eyes, one pair, in the distance, safe from Man, but curiously drawn by....need...to eat?
A need to belong, to...no...with.

A MAN throws a gnawed joint of animal into the dark, at the Eyes.
The glowing eyes disappear, and soon, so does the bone, in retreat.

Crunching sounds.

The next night...fire, food, talk..."Will the wolf return?"

"Perhaps."

FOUR EYES now appear; barely gleaming in the flicker of distant fire.
More food. Next night: eight eyes. More food. Share.

Next month, the smaller eyes of new wolves, and parent wolves,
closer now; closer. More bold. Laughter. Sharing.

Next week: the Meeting of the Minds. She trusts and presents her pups.
Several are to be adopted. They grow and become family with Man.

In several more years we have Dog. Dog considers Man to be his God.

God. Dog. Noble protector warning-off others who would dare deign to harm His Friend Man.

To the present day: nothing more has changed. Dog is of Man and Man is of Dog and anything else
to be read into this fictional recounting is purely of the imagination...of a dog who was born as a man.

safekeep of this instant essay:
http://endlessfreedom.freeforums.org/post234.html#p234

Thanks Reid, that was better than the movie.

Last night and today I've sent healing vibes to Finely.
I encourage everyone reading this to do the same.
It can't hurt and has been proven to help.

Guess it worked, because he's pretty much recovered and comes home tomorrow. :)

Wish I could say the same for my money. :roll: Figures this'd happen three days into dog ownership; before I can set up some pet insurance. Any recommendations there or would I be better off stuffing some as-of-yet uncertain sum into savings every month? :?

Link said:
Guess it worked, because he's pretty much recovered and comes home tomorrow. :)

Wish I could say the same for my money. :roll: Figures this'd happen three days into dog ownership; before I can set up some pet insurance. Any recommendations there or would I be better off stuffing some as-of-yet uncertain sum into savings every month? :?
One surgery is usually more expensive than a year's worth of insurance.
Insurance doesn't take care of everything but generally covers the hospitalisation charges and annual check-up.
Insurance is a fixed cost for which you can budget.

AP Poll: Pet owners willing to go mouth-to-muzzle
By SUE MANNING, Associated Press Writer – 2 hrs 36 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – Most pet owners would leap into action for an injured pet, even if it meant risking dog breath by going mouth-to-snout.
Fifty-eight percent of pet owners — 63 percent of dog owners and 53 percent of cat owners — would be at least somewhat likely to perform CPR on their pet in the event of a medical emergency, according to an Associated Press-Petside.com poll.
Tammy Parks, 52, of Amherst, Mass., has taken a pet first aid class and wouldn't hesitate to help her 15-year-old mixed breed terriers, Lucy and Julia, or her white fronted Amazon parrot Koko.
"It's not rocket science. The mechanics are the same as humans," said Parks, who was an American Red Cross first aid trainer. "Size is the biggest difference."

In general, though, the poll found few pet owners are prepared to handle pet emergencies. Just 20 percent of pet owners have a pet first aid kit in their home, and 54 percent do not have a fire evacuation plan for their pets.
And the survey revealed frequent reporting of dangerous practices that can lead to accidents and injuries. For example, a quarter of pet owners, including 30 percent of dog owners and 22 percent of cat owners, give their pets bones from table scraps, at least sometimes.
Sixty-two percent of dog owners and a third of cat owners let their pets ride in their cars unrestrained, rather than placing them in a special pet carrier. And 11 percent of pet owners sometimes leave their pets unattended in a car or truck.
Still, most pet owners said they would go the extra mile to rescue their pets. Women were more likely to say they would perform CPR on their pets than men, 65 percent to 50 percent, the poll showed.

Nearly every decision made at the Parks house is made with the safety of the animals in mind.
"We don't use pesticide on the lawn. We don't buy food with pesticide on it. No sugar, no salt, just natural nuts and fruits. No Teflon in the house, no smoking, no air fresheners, no aerosol products," she said, explaining that any one of those things could kill their 7-year-old bird.
Barbara Klingman of Houma, La., said she changed things after her Chihuahua, Honeychild, ate something that forced an emergency trip to the vet.
"I make sure she doesn't have anything she shouldn't have," Klingman said of the 7-pound, 4-year-old dog.

The poll showed 7 percent of those polled have pets who have eaten something poisonous and 16 percent have pets who have had allergic reactions to something.
There were also threats from pets themselves: 17 percent reported having a pet bitten or attacked by another animal, 9 percent said a pet had bitten or attacked another animal and 5 percent said a pet had bitten or attacked another person.
The poll revealed that 41 percent have experienced at least one pet safety emergency that required an emergency trip to a vet and 11 percent have had a pet hit by a car.

Edwin Griffin Jr., 61, of Plano, Texas, remembers all too well 25 years ago when his white German shepherd ran in front of a car. The dog broke both hips and his jaw, lost an eye and was in intensive care at an animal hospital for two weeks.
"I had just lost my wife the month before. My children were 1 and 3. I mortgaged the car to save my dog because of the impact it would have had on the children," he said.
The dog lived six more years.
Now Buddy, Griffin's 3-year-old golden retriever, has a first aid kit, a carbon monoxide alarm in the room where he sleeps and several designated escape routes for emergencies. But it's Buddy who's come to the rescue of humans in his home, especially Griffin's father-in-law, who is in the final stages of pancreatic cancer.
"My wife's father gets a great deal of relief from being able to touch and rub Buddy. Buddy just stands beside him. He knows that is his role," Griffin said.

Pet safety and CPR training is offered by the American Red Cross and many private companies. "Vets are the experts but they are rarely on scene when something happens to our pets," said Denise Fleck, who runs Sunny-Dog Ink in Burbank and has written pet safety textbooks, appeared on a number of TV shows and taught classes throughout Southern California.
Disaster plans are important, too, especially in areas like Southern California that are at the mercy of earthquakes and fires.
"If people value their pets like a family member, they should know how to do CPR, just like they would for their kids. In disasters, pets get hurt and run into debris and all kinds of things," said Mark Solnick, director of emergency preparedness and response for the Red Cross of Santa Monica.

Laurie Sullivan, 47, of Littlerock, Calif., has three dogs (Elsa Ann, Hope and Schotzie), an Arabian horse (Cary) and 19 cats. She has tended to a wide variety of emergencies over the years. Lucky for her menagerie, she was a certified emergency medical technician and a hospital worker.
She was there to help when one of her dogs choked on a small bone, when one of her cats had a hard time delivering eight kittens, when a neighbor lost the tip of her finger to a horse and for countless everyday cuts, scrapes and bruises.
She has never had to use CPR on an animal, but she knows how to. However, "it would really be hard to give CPR to a horse," she laughed.

The AP-Petside.com poll was conducted Oct. 1-5, 2009, by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media. It involved telephone interviews on landline and cell phones with 1,166 pet owners nationwide, and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 2.9 percentage points for all pet owners.

Tyler are you trying to make us cry? Bad Tyler! :lol: I have my 48th on Sat. and I'll be surrounded by my family including our 3 labs. Life is good..

torker said:
Tyler are you trying to make us cry? Bad Tyler! :lol: I have my 48th on Sat. and I'll be surrounded by my family including our 3 labs. Life is good..
:D On the contrary... we need pets as much as they need us: we are completely honest only with our pets (sickos aside). Morality would dictate that we provide adequate care and compassion for the creatures we make solely dependent on us.

Many happy returns.

Off track a bit...

The things we will do for our pets but will not do for a fellow human in the gutter.
I am one of those people...who talk but don't do.

CPR. Chloe was our largest Leoard Tortoise. She slipped into the pond and drowned.
I found her, quite dead, eyes open. She may have been in that filthy sewage water for two hours, for all I don't know.

"Quick, garden hose", to Ernie. Rinse.
Hold dead, 22 pound tortiose vertical, head hanging down.
Brown water drains.

NOW, I begin the impossible. MOUTH TO MOUTH over her face (I would do it again).
Breathe in, then drain more water from her filled lungs, by inverting her again.
Breathe, in, drain, breath in, drain. Now no more water. Just breath for her,
my mouth to hers. Fifteen minutes later (tortoises die very slowly)

SHE gasps, coughs....SHE'S ALIVE! She blinks, sneezes, and takes deep breaths.

She lived for one month longer, but never ate again. Aspiration pneumonia.
For some week she walked about her haven, but was more and more listless.
No pain. She was just feeling...tired. And then she died, asleep.

And I still weep for failing her in the first place: that "pond" was a covered animal-sewage cesspit,
and her weight, as she walked over the plastic cover, flips the cover and dunked her to her death.

She gave us many fine, young Leopard tortoises. I think she may have been about fifty years old.
I got her from Mario Tabraue, google, and she was a wild-capture tortoise, not some farm-raised softie.

CPR on a tortoise. I've done it on a man, too! I would do it for a dog. Am one, myself.

Back