My Chinese E-Scooter

The sky rc gps needs no sim card.
It connects via Bluetooth to the phone and the data is displyed and stored in the phone.

I still haven't tried to record anything, but meanwhile I found a quick way to solve my travel distance/range issue since the new controller increased the power consumption so much: I built a semi onboard charging system.

The idea here was to be able to remove the charger from the bike easily so I don't carry it with me whenever I don't need it. One thing I needed was a long cable, because when I park the scooter at work there's usually no place available around the power outlets because most of my coworkers charge their bikes there. I have to park far away, hence the need for a long wire. Sure I could go to work earlier and avoid all this trouble, but where's the fun in that.

Anyway, first thing I've done was to design an automatic cable winder, then 3d print it and assemble it. I used a few parts from a broken winder I had around. At first I wanted to purchase a new one instead of making my own, but they were surprizingly expensive and also I thought their design wasn't very sturdy.
Plus it made for a fun project, with interesting design challenges.

So, first the design:

1709518951833.png

Then the thing after I printed and assembled it:

IMG_20240302_013045.jpg

I had to experiment a little to make the ratchet system work reliably, but it wasn't too difficult. Took me about three days from the start of the design to the finished product, 3D printing s really hard to beat speed wise.
The wire lenght is about 5 meters, which is more than what I need so it should be good.
Then it was time to install it in the scooter:

IMG_20240303_181550.jpg

I decided to go for a standard home power outlet. This way I can plug any charger I want, and moreover I can just take the charger out of the bike to gain a few kg whenever I don't need it.

IMG_20240303_184327.jpg

Now hopefully my range problem is sorted, I can go to work at full speed and charge it back up so I can also do the return trip at full speed. No need to compromize anymore.

Last edited:
:)

If it works out over time, will you publish the model?

FWIW, I took a reel out of an ancient vacuum cleaner to use for the trike's built in charger, but I have yet to get around to installing it on the trike. You may not have something like the thrift stores (old recycled items) we have here around your locality, but if you do you could check for such things there if you ever need one.

If it works out over time, will you publish the model?
Sure, but I'm not certain it'll be very useful because mine was designed around the parts I had around (mainly the sping and the rotary contacts).
Here is the step model, it is editable so you can adapt the design to the parts you already got.
I think it is possible to DIY the rotary contacts relatively easily, but it's a bit more difficult to find an appropriate spring.
Anyway, here are the 3D files.

Attachments

• Automatic Wire Winder.rar
    185 KB · Views: 1
Back