MY1018 Mid-Drive Crank Freewheel Hill Climb Assist eMTB Proj

Santa'sLittleHelper said:
Can you tell me if it has a BMS or not? If so, is it self-balancing? Do you know what the continuous and peak amp output are?

Yeah, they were $119OBO, then he raised them to $129OBO. I offered him $100 and he countered, but I told him $100 is my maximum without knowing the battery specifications. He couldn't tell me anything, so they must be China specials. That generally means it's completely up in the air if the cells are real or counterfit inside. I was willing to try one at $100, but not any more than that.

The one I ended up with was $449 with 10S 42V/3A charger included out of California, so there was tax and $19 shipping too ($508 total - not cheap!). But, it has a known specification BMS and better quality Samsung 3200mAh cells that will handle 25A draw easily (my controllers maximum). The builds unknown amp draw and no known BMS were big issues for me on the little 8.55Ah one.

In the long run I bet I will be happy I spent up for some good range. I run a 48V 21Ah/1008Wh Panasonic-Sanyo GA 3200mAh battery pack on my BBS02-B 750W ride and can pull over a 100 miles range out of it if I don't speed and pedal consistently; it yields a very reliable 60-70 mile range the way I typically ride it (6'2" 230lb. Clyde here).

Having that extra 7.5Ah's for only 2.5lbs. more weight, the BMS and plenty of amp draw ability without much heat generation will be nice.

Those small 8.5 ah packs do appear to have a BMS clearly pictured in the seller's ad showing the internals of the pack but I sensed from the wording of the ad and description they knew very little about the product. I purchased the first one because I needed a small 36v pack to test a couple project bikes and was pleasantly suprised that the pack is actually in a nice plastic hard sided enclosure and it's been giving me good range riding across town and back up the steep hills to my home but I don't want to push a small pack like that hard. The case it's in is nice enough that I don't want to crack it open to look inside.

If this was my only battery I'd do what you did and opt for something with some decent range, it'll be a whole lot easier on the battery if you plan to do any real riding of any distance.

The motor I have selected is an old school brushed MY1018 450W 24V that is stated to be able to run 36V without issues. It is the smallest and lightest geared motor I could find that seemed to meet my needs. The one I purchased is said to be rated for 25A as well, but I am not sure it will run reliably at higher than 18-20A. As I understand it, this motor is normally run at 15A on old Currie eZip Trailz electric bikes (in a slightly different build form), but each buyers build specifications can be unique. It is not clear if this motor is produced differently to achieve its’ stated 25A rating (?).

I found your thread looking for experiences with this motor. Great looking build!
How do you like it and how many miles have you ridden with this motor?

Hello

I am in a similar DIY project and I have some doubts about good motor reduction. Liftmtb use a 8t - 38 and I can see in the post some project photos using a 12t - 42t reduction.
Does anybody know how this reduction climbs?
Thank in advance

This motor works fine for this type of throttle assist setup. The only complaint is the RC Car type motor noise it makes. My Bafang BBS02B's are virtually noiseless.

The 12T x 42T reduction works well. You could go up to about 48T to get a little better sweet spot in the reduction. I don't believe LIFT has an 8T freewheel on their MY1018 motors, but I haven't checked their site in a long time. 12T is the smallest I have been able to purchase. LIFT will not sell any individual parts to new customers, only replacement parts for existing customers. My guess is they do that so you have to pay their crazy high price for their product.

I have since returned this Niner Jet 9 back into a CX racing weapon with Shimano XT pedal 30Tx11-50T, CX race tires, saddle and bars. It's now light and fast, but all human powered.

Nice work! I also made few ebikes with similar (like MTBlift) setup. Now I do not use MY1018 motor, but XYD 16 that is similar motor, but it has helical gears so it is quiet. The motor is very light (2,2 kg) and with 36V battery is no problem get peak power 700 W without any issue. I think my setup it lighter than TSDZ2 and has the same power. I use 12T x 44T reduction from motor to sprocket (would be better to have higher reduction, but it is impossible buy smaller than 12T cogwheel and use something bigger than 44T chain ring is no good, because big chain ring "amplify" ACS freewheel wobble and it makes problems with falling primary chain). In my MTB projects I use 1 x 9 system with only 30 teeth narrow wide chain ring and 11-36 teeth cassette that helps motor reduction a give me great climb ability, but meanwhile I can reach 35 km/h, that is enough for MTB. This setup is very inexpensive, I can not believe that people can pay so much for overpriced MTBlift. It si better to buy TSDZ2.

20180821_180015.jpg20180821_180034.jpg

dingos said:
Nice work! I also made few ebikes with similar (like MTBlift) setup. Now I do not use MY1018 motor, but XYD 16 that is similar motor, but it has helical gears so it is quiet. The motor is very light (2,2 kg) and with 36V battery is no problem get peak power 700 W without any issue. I think my setup it lighter than TSDZ2 and has the same power. I use 12T x 44T reduction from motor to sprocket (would be better to have higher reduction, but it is impossible buy smaller than 12T cogwheel and use something bigger than 44T chain ring is no good, because big chain ring "amplify" ACS freewheel wobble and it makes problems with falling primary chain). In my MTB projects I use 1 x 9 system with only 30 teeth narrow wide chain ring and 11-36 teeth cassette that helps motor reduction a give me great climb ability, but meanwhile I can reach 35 km/h, that is enough for MTB. This setup is very inexpensive, I can not believe that people can pay so much for overpriced MTBlift. It si better to buy TSDZ2.

Great to hear. I kept this motor, ISIS freewheel crank and high-end battery for use on another project at some point. I've even considered a Kick-Bike using the original rear stay mount. Plenty of power with 450W IMHO. After I try to climb off-road without assist now that I've got a few years of training behind me and find that I still can't climb, I may re-install this on the Niner Jet 9 with the new low 30T X 11-50T Sunrace cassette gearing just for fun.

Do you know if the XYD 16 helical gears will fit into a MY1018?

When you say your's is quiet with helical gears, can you hear the motor at all?

Hallo! Unfortunately you can not change gears in MY1018 motor to helical, because the 11 teeth drive gear is part of motor's rotor shaft (unless you change the all rotor of the motor).

XYD16 is really quiet motor, I can say, that the level of the noise is the same like TSDZ2 does (I tried this motor so I can compare). You can hear little bit the motor (especially when you go very slowly), but it is very discreet "pleasant" low tone sound and it has nothing to do with screamy, jet turbine like sound of MY1018.

dingos said:
The motor is very light (2,2 kg)
well add a bottom bracket, a freewheel chainring, and a motor controller, and you may end close to the TSDZ2's 3.6 kg's.

TSDZ2 is finished product, it has torque sensing and you can easily mount into your bike. But I can buy XYD16 for 74 euro, and I can create my system with good chain line, standard bottom bracket and standard offset. I did not weight every component of my system, but when I compared my ebike with my friend's ebike with TSDZ2 (we have the same aluminium hardtail and the same 500Wh battery from 40 GA cells), my bike was definitively lighter. But We did not make the exact weighing. I think MY1018/XYD16 is the lightest "big" = normal-reliable motor (not RC type motor) that you can use on bike, it is very narrow so you can use standard bottom bracket and you have big construction "freedom."

dingos said:
Hallo! Unfortunately you can not change gears in MY1018 motor to helical, because the 11 teeth drive gear is part of motor's rotor shaft (unless you change the all rotor of the motor).

XYD16 is really quiet motor, I can say, that the level of the noise is the same like TSDZ2 does (I tried this motor so I can compare). You can hear little bit the motor (especially when you go very slowly), but it is very discreet "pleasant" low tone sound and it has nothing to do with screamy, jet turbine like sound of MY1018.

I've been told the TSDZ2 is very noisy compared to a BBS02B, but I've never seen or heard a TSDZ2 myself. I have two BBS02B's and know they don't make noise. Noise is the biggest issue for me when considering an eMTB. I like to ride with friends that don't use electric assist, so the last thing I (or they) want to hear is the sound of a motor when out on a trail in the quiet wilderness; especially when I'm passing them on a climb. I'd consider trying an XYD16 if I knew it was as quiet as a BBS02B.

A TSDZ2 or BBS02B won't fit on many modern full suspension MTB's due to the curved down tubes and/or the suspension linkage, which is below the BB in the case of even this older 2013 Niner Jet 9 like this one with a straight down tube. Carbon MTB's present a problem as well due to their thicker BB housings.

The mounting flexibility of these small "brush" motors and their super low cost are a huge plus. In addition, the motor mount can be designed to allow the motor itself to be quickly removed (along with the battery), and you have a light weight pedal bike and eMTB in one bike. That's the real appeal of this type of setup. That's why LIFT's motor mount attaches to the way it does and uses this brush motor.

I see one XYD-16A motor listed on eBay for $119 + $15 shipping. It's listed as a Currie 24V replacement motor. I don't see anything about helical gears mentioned...

The MY1018 450W/36V/25A motor I purchased was from a guy on eBay that "claimed" he had them custom made to his high watt, amp and volt specifications from the supplier in China. Can't really say if that was a sales line or fact? The motor seems handle the stated specifications just fine.

Do you have a link for that motor?

If you are from EU, you can try this Polish e-shop:

https://magma.sklep.pl/pol_m_SILNIKI-STEROWNIKI-REGULATORY-LADOWARKI_SILNIKI-_Silnik-DC_-36V-546.html

They have on the stock only MY1018, but they can order XYD16 for you from China. For me, the price is much better than from China, because I do not have to pay duty and VAT (I am from The Czech Republic so shipping from Poland is cheap as well). Only drawback is, that you have to normally wait approx. 5 months until motors come from China. I have already bought from them 6 motors XYD16.

I've been told the TSDZ2 is very noisy compared to a BBS02B, but I've never seen or heard a TSDZ2 myself. I have two BBS02B's and know they don't make noise. Noise is the biggest issue for me when considering an eMTB. I like to ride with friends that don't use electric assist, so the last thing I (or they) want to hear is the sound of a motor when out on a trail in the quiet wilderness; especially when I'm passing them on a climb. I'd consider trying an XYD16 if I knew it was as quiet as a BBS02B.

A TSDZ2 or BBS02B won't fit on many modern full suspension MTB's due to the curved down tubes and/or the suspension linkage, which is below the BB in the case of even this older 2013 Niner Jet 9 like this one with a straight down tube. Carbon MTB's present a problem as well due to their thicker BB housings.

The mounting flexibility of these small "brush" motors and their super low cost are a huge plus. In addition, the motor mount can be designed to allow the motor itself to be quickly removed (along with the battery), and you have a light weight pedal bike and eMTB in one bike. That's the real appeal of this type of setup. That's why LIFT's motor mount attaches to the way it does and uses this brush motor.

I see one XYD-16A motor listed on eBay for $119 + $15 shipping. It's listed as a Currie 24V replacement motor. I don't see anything about helical gears mentioned...

The MY1018 450W/36V/25A motor I purchased was from a guy on eBay that "claimed" he had them custom made to his high watt, amp and volt specifications from the supplier in China. Can't really say if that was a sales line or fact? The motor seems handle the stated specifications just fine.

I can not really compare sound XYD16 with BBS02B, I rode bike with that motor briefly only one time, one year ago. Maybe BBS02 is more quiet....? For my ears TSDZ2 is OK so XYD16 as well. Now I am happy that I can not terrify others bike riders with "crazy" sound of MY1018.

I totally agree with all other things what you say about this great small brush motor. It gives you really big freedom how to design good mid-drive system for every bike....

dingos said:
I can not really compare sound XYD16 with BBS02B, I rode bike with that motor briefly only one time, one year ago. Maybe BBS02 is more quiet....? For my ears TSDZ2 is OK so XYD16 as well. Now I am happy that I can not terrify others bike riders with "crazy" sound of MY1018.

I totally agree with all other things what you say about this great small brush motor. It gives you really big freedom how to design good mid-drive system for every bike....

I was told all the newer MY1018's had the helical gears and were quieter than the early straight gear models, so I wonder if the noise mine makes is the same as yours? It isn't "crazy" load at all, just noisy enough to clearly know when the motor is on or off.

I guess I could open it up and look at the gears to see what's in there. I'll have to research what the visual difference is between helical gear and straight cut gear. Is it just an angle cut as opposed to a straight across the gear cut? Or is there some kind of rounded gear edge to look for?

I was told all the newer MY1018's had the helical gears and were quieter than the early straight gear models

That might explain the great difference in noise from videos I found on Youtube. Some have the gear whining sound and some are much quieter and more pleasant to hear.

Everything is possible, but I had 2 MY1018 motors and all of them had straight gearings and had very loud unpleasant high pitch sound (especially under load).

Back